No announcement yet.

We Have Poulsbo Hardware, But No Driver

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

didn't they state that this PowerVR crapstickle will only have a Closed Source 3D driver, ever?

We shouldn't waste time on this piece of junk, it's even slower than GMA950 anyway.

It's not like I can stop "waste time on this piece of junk".
      It's not like I have an alternative, unless you can tell me how I can weld out the chip and replace it with a better one.

I said it before and I will say it again: As long as I can get good 2D acceleration (which I don't right now) on a recent system (which it isn't anymore) I can live with it if it even if it is closed source.

I'm really hoping to read more news about the driver here.
      As long as it is good news.

The driver should be there :

Originally posted by billiob View Post
          If you click "Accept" you get a 404.
          Michael Larabel

arjan_intel: "It just does not make sense to have a Linux distribution being this source...."

That's funny, because that's exactly what you do with the current psb driver: the upstream is Ubuntu Netbook Remix. (Actually, it's the secret-sauce customized version of UNR that ships on Dell systems with Poulsbo chips in them.) For my Fedora packages I have to pull the tarballs out of http://netbook-remix.archive.canonic...s/pool/public/ .

I agree with you entirely that this doesn't make sense, of course. Perhaps you could pass this nugget of wisdom on to the Ultra Mobile Group?

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              I'm also still really awaiting news on this to debrickify my Panasonic CF-U1! I need to give F12 a try to see if the VESA driver is now smart enough to mode set my nonstandard screen resolution.
              If it isn't, file a bug against xorg-x11-drv-vesa in Fedora Bugzilla. It should do, though.

If you're running F11 you can already use the current psb drivers. Just enable RPM Fusion repos and do 'yum install xorg-x11-drv-psb', then reboot.

Very interesting, maybe somebody would be so kind and send me test hardware, want to test vaapi support.

I've tested it, it works. not much more to say well, if you have a window that gets constant refreshes running behind the video window - say a terminal with a cursor - the updates will momentarily flash through the video, which is a bit of a pain. And there's no OSD support. but, yeah, it works pretty well. My lil Vaio P can play back 1920x1080 videos with mplayer, heh.

I have a repository for the video acceleration stuff - it's at .

You should provide files to download to enable the repo. Also 20091106 is a bad mplayer snapshot. Please use a newer one add the extra audiofix from my script. Next thing to improve is that you should package libvdpau too and use that as build-dep, then you can use pure vdpau too. Added libvdpau to my own repo too (small mod of the Debian sid package). Is there something like pbuilder for rpm?

I'm too lazy to provide a repo info package =)

I use the snapshots from upstream mplayer-vaapi (splitted-desktop); I'm working on an update to Gwenole's latest stuff now. libvdpau is already in Fedora itself - if you check the mplayer-accelerated spec it builds against it. There isn't a pbuilder for 'rpm', each distro has its own, since they have different build processes. Fedora's tool is called mock. Mandriva's is iurt. SUSE uses that Factory thing, I think.