Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Prepares Its Major Q4'09 Driver Update

Phoronix: Intel Prepares Its Major Q4'09 Driver Update

There's just a month left until the end of the year, which gives Intel just a few weeks to deliver its Q4'2009 driver update for the Linux platform. The key component that Intel is expected to release in December will be the xf86-video-intel 2.10.0 driver, while they will likely recommend Mesa, libdrm, and Linux kernel updates too as part of their fourth quarter package (Linux 2.6.32 and Mesa 7.7)...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=Nzc1NA

Hopefully this driver update includes full support Intel i3 (Clarkdale) which should be out soon next year. Intel onboard is wide spread and should work out of the box.

Comment

Really looking forward to the new driver, however using KMS results my laptop (Acer Extensa 5635Z) unable to adjust backlight brightness, which is a total pain in the ass.

Until the backlight adjust works, I will have to stick with UMS. Sigh...

Comment

Personally I really hope they get their act together when it comes to tv-out in KMS (esp with s-video) which is not up to par with UMS.

Currently the stable series of 2.6.31 and the kernel 2.6.32-rc1 does not work with S-Video, PAL and glx (reported and git bisected in freedesktop bugzilla). Also for some reason 2.6.31 gives you a strange mode (also reported), but not even the debug patch gives the same displaymode as the UMS, and wrt the time this has taken so far I guess they will rip away UMS before KMS is in so good shape that it works out of the box without patching.

Comment

Working...
        X