Hi,
    The more I read the less I know ;-)

I want buy notebook with GMA 4500HD.

I have one fundamental question ;-)

Does Ubuntu supports this video card ?
    - Auto-detect card
    - Compiz will works well
    - I can watch movie

If GMA 4500HD is good solution for laptop + Linux ?

Now i have GF 8600gt and i haven't any problem.

My question was maybe no precision : Does opensource driver supports 3d desktop, movie etc. ?

Comment

Via VA-API you could get mpeg2 accelleration now, but currently no h264, also vc1 accelleration is not even planned. Current Nvidia gfx chips support VDPAU which is the best solution for hd video playback. So it depends of the definition of "movie"

Comment

when i wrote "watch movie" i think about divx/xvid movie no HD ;-)

Comment

Well i think of full hd m2ts

Comment

well... How looks compiz and ordinary working like web browsing with intel.Are any problems?. I have to make decision about buying or not notebook with intel card.

Comment

OR I asked different all owner laptops with intel 4500HD: if you have second choice will you buy laptop with intel or buy something with AMD/NVIDIA ? (Linux OS of course)

Comment

I bought Via...

Comment

via means "via technologies (S3)" or intel - sorry i'm not expert ;-)

Comment

Could someone explain me what RobbieAB think about writting " I bought Via... "

Comment

via is not really a valid choice. intel only is when you want to test hyperspace or with vt capable cpu even hyperspace hybrid. otherwise i would definitely get a dedicated nvidia gfx chip.

Comment

Originally posted by hotsouce View Post
                        well... How looks compiz and ordinary working like web browsing with intel.Are any problems?. I have to make decision about buying or not notebook with intel card.
                        It's not a laptop, but I do have a X4500HD and it's working very well. There shouldn't be any problems at all with web browsing, movies, compiz etc.

There are however at least two caveats:
                        - Gaming, anything up to and including Doom 3 should be okay, but support for Wine with Mesa just isn't that good.
                        - Hardware acceleration for video decoding is missing. It's apparently being worked on though.

Comment

OK, i understood. Thanks for ALL.
                          Last edited by hotsouce; 11-04-2009, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
                            It's not a laptop, but I do have a X4500HD and it's working very well. There shouldn't be any problems at all with web browsing, movies, compiz etc.

- Gaming, anything up to and including Doom 3 should be okay, but support for Wine with Mesa just isn't that good.
                            - Hardware acceleration for video decoding is missing. It's apparently being worked on though.
                            Any idea when we should see hardware acceleration for H264 and VC1 ? Is it a matter of months or more ?
                            I'm a little disappointed that Poulsbo chipset have hardware acceleration fo video decoding available right now although the driver is closed source, whereas GM45 chipset is fully open source with all the documentation necessary and it is still not available (just MPEG2 which I really don't need).

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post

I've found a lot more 3D problems than just wine games with the X4500 when using the drivers included with Ubuntu 9.10, like how Yo Frankie! crashes when shaders are enabled, Sauerbraten can only display the menu and the 3D scenes in On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness are entirely black (it seems to me that in the latter two cases, the scene isn't being cleared, and nothing 3D is being drawn. Both of these games were fine on Ubuntu 9.04 using the Xorg-edgers packages from September or so).

Comment

Working...
                              X