Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Intel Poulsbo Driver For Ubuntu 9.10

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Yes, this really sucks. The poulsbo drivers aren't even that good in windows: I get crashes trying to use DXVA, when playing videos, the scaling is normally really crappy, etc.

    But that they're not releasing any linux drivers for poulsbo really really really sucks. I have bought a netbook with it assuming intel will make sure it will run, but no...

    Unless we show them we're upset, nothing's going to happen.

    I think we should all file bug reports:
    http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts...ome.aspx?id=39

    Even better would probably be some polite but clear letters to
    Intel
    2200 Mission College Blvd.
    Santa Clara, CA 95054-1549
    USA

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by djtm View Post
      Yes, this really sucks. The poulsbo drivers aren't even that good in windows: I get crashes trying to use DXVA, when playing videos, the scaling is normally really crappy, etc.

      But that they're not releasing any linux drivers for poulsbo really really really sucks. I have bought a netbook with it assuming intel will make sure it will run, but no...

      Unless we show them we're upset, nothing's going to happen.

      I think we should all file bug reports:
      http://supportmail.intel.com/scripts...ome.aspx?id=39

      Even better would probably be some polite but clear letters to
      Intel
      2200 Mission College Blvd.
      Santa Clara, CA 95054-1549
      USA
      I tried your link above and after you select GMA500, you get the following:
      "Intel does not support this product via email.

      Great... they don't even want to hear about it!

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by gururise View Post
        I tried your link above and after you select GMA500, you get the following:
        "Intel does not support this product via email.

        Great... they don't even want to hear about it!
        Yes, sometime after I posted this they included poulsbo, which was not included before and then disabled the support for it. You might still select a different chipset and just tell them in the text that you're disappointed.

        But, yes, it sucks, it really really sucks.

        Comment


        • #24
          I think it sounds a bit too complicated to use that driver. Maybe one extra export would be needed to run it with a new kernel, can not test. But usually it is not too hard to install an older kernel if you really want to use that piece of hw.

          Comment


          • #25
            What is needed to make the driver work under Ubuntu 9.10? Why can't a kernel or graphic dev from Ubuntu step up and modify the 9.04 driver to work under 9.10? Is it because its proprietary? Has anyone tried contacting the Moblin team and ask them if they have an updated driver?

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by gururise View Post
              What is needed to make the driver work under Ubuntu 9.10? Why can't a kernel or graphic dev from Ubuntu step up and modify the 9.04 driver to work under 9.10? Is it because its proprietary? Has anyone tried contacting the Moblin team and ask them if they have an updated driver?
              It is a binary blob that was written for specific versions of the kernel and xorg. Those versions have been left behind. The only solution is a new binary blob from the original developers. Someone will have to pay for this and Dell seem to be abondoning this chipset so don't hold your breath waiting.

              Comment


              • #27
                It seems is possible to work...
                HardwareSupportComponentsVideoCardsPoulsbo

                Comment


                • #28
                  Maybe it'll end up being another nouveau situation where the only good, working driver is a third party one.

                  They could call it xf86-video-poulsblows.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Reverse engineering the PowerVR family of GPUs would have benefits for other devices than just Poulsbo

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      PowerVR had an official and good enough driver for 2.4 kernels. But they did never support the 2.6 series. I remember I was playing NWN beta with these drivers while in windowsxp this was rather difficult.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X