Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Poulsbo DRM Proposed, But Rejected

Phoronix: Intel Poulsbo DRM Proposed, But Rejected

Back in January we shared that Intel's Poulsbo driver was a bloody mess. This Intel GMA 500 Chipset is used by a few select devices at the moment and its core is originally based upon a PowerVR ASIC...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzE1Mw

we're working on it but thats all I can really say.
    So there is hope for the future.
    Maybe the coming of Nvidia in the embedded market, will force Imagination Technologies to play the "open-source game".

Comment

Too bad. But they are right, in the current state the driver should not go into the kernel. Not even the DRM. Hopefully intel fixes this.

Comment

I smell third party licences...

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
          I smell third party licences...
          You'd smell right. The bulk thereof would be Imagination Technologies' programming info for the GPU in the Poulsbo chipset. They CAN'T FOSS it with that deal in place- and Imagination's not budging on the deal, based on their dealings with the Beagleboard and Pandora dev communities behind the scenes.

Comment

I wonder, why intel doesn't select a way as the propietary ATI and nVidia drivers for that damn thing. At least for now this missing driver is a showstopper for Linux on more and more netbooks :/

Comment

Compiling drm externally is no big deal. Can be done with dkms very easyly. I already wrote a script for the ATI drm modules, the only thing I would have to change would be the git repo.

Comment

Yay! I could care less about 3D right now, I just want something, anything, that actually will drive my hardware at all! (no vesa mode matching LCD size). I'm really glad to hear it is actually being worked on!

Comment

I'm getting sick of all this. I'm getting sick of waiting. I'm getting sick of specs released incomplete. code rejected and bla bla bla.
                  Did we all forget the most important thing? We are customers that PAY for something that has to WORK.
                  When I buy a GPU the seller wants the money, he doesn't say "come back in some months". Then I want my card to work IMMEDIATELY.

Thanks god there's a company that shuts up, works, and releases a blob driver. for real man. I'm tired.

Comment

Originally posted by bulletxt View Post
                    Thanks god there's a company that shuts up, works, and releases a blob driver. for real man. I'm tired.
                    You mean a blob driver that drops support for older cards, doesn't get any security review, requires SSE and doesnt work on any architecture other than x86 and amd64?

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
                      You mean a blob driver that drops support for older cards, doesn't get any security review, requires SSE and doesnt work on any architecture other than x86 and amd64?

- they release a legacy driver and it's updated, maybe it doesn't have new features, but it gets updated. "someone else" doesn't do that.

- they support opensolaris and freebsd since years and years. "someone else" doesn't even know what solaris and freebsd is.

- 98% of desktop users are on x86 or amd64. if you want nvidia to release docs for 2% of desktop users, good luck.

final words: your grandmother has a "normal" computer and wants her gpu to work. she doesn't give a damn of your points because she payed for that damn card.

Are you able to understand this? no, you're not. give money to companies that sell you bread to get eaten in 5 months. I buy things that work today. good luck and stay safe.

Comment

- they release a legacy driver and it's updated, maybe it doesn't have new features, but it gets updated. "someone else" doesn't do that.

- they support opensolaris and freebsd since years and years. "someone else" doesn't even know what solaris and freebsd is.

- 98% of desktop users are on x86 or amd64. if you want nvidia to release docs for 2% of desktop users, good luck.

final words: your grandmother has a "normal" computer and wants her gpu to work. she doesn't give a damn of your points because she payed for that damn card.

Are you able to understand this? no, you're not. give money to companies that sell you bread to get eaten in 5 months. I buy things that work today. good luck and stay safe.
                        1. Many of the open source drivers support other *nix operating systems.

2. PPC? Try using your beloved blob on that

3. My grandmother and I suspect most grandmothers don't have discrete graphics cards. I suspect most of them use IGPs. I'm fairly certain that Intel is the dominant player in the x86/amd64 graphics area, and IIRC they don't have discrete graphics yet.

4. Actually I do give money to companies that work. intel's igps work great out of the box and are entirely open. Thanks for the personal attack on my intelligence. I appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by sreyan View Post
                          1. Many of the open source drivers support other *nix operating systems.

2. PPC? Try using your beloved blob on that

3. My grandmother and I suspect most grandmothers don't have discrete graphics cards. I suspect most of them use IGPs. I'm fairly certain that Intel is the dominant player in the x86/amd64 graphics area, and IIRC they don't have discrete graphics yet.

4. Actually I do give money to companies that work. intel's igps work great out of the box and are entirely open. Thanks for the personal attack on my intelligence. I appreciate it.
                          My post was actually connected to this article. It was a way to say: "I'm happy there's a comany that does a working driver because I'm getting tired of all these problems, waiting, and so on".

Also, I have an ati 2600XT gpu. By the time my card works as it should with oss driver, it will be old. Old enough that for a gamer it's time to buy a new card. If I buy a new card it won't work yet with the oss driver cause 99% for sure it won't be ready. In other words I'll be stuck to FGRLX driver. No point reminind that FGLRX isn't a driver.

So conclusion is, I'm happy there is a company that just does a driver and makes my gpu work today, and tomorrow.

People are happy of docs, I'm happy of a working driver. Different points of view I guess.

Comment

People are happy of docs, I'm happy of a working driver. Different points of view I guess.
                            If you're a gamer I understand your choice to go Nvidia. Wine simply works better with Nvidia in my experience and modern gaming doesnt come to linux in another way. Video rescaling and compiz are the closest things that my usage gets to real 3D so my view point as you said is quite different.

My experience with linux is that the hardware support is good out of the box. As time goes on less has to be installed manually.I suspect the same thing would be true for windows if drivers were continuously slipstreamed into the install disc. I have some older windows cds that don't even recognize network controllers so I can't even download the drivers to get the system to work.

For a gamer non working or slow 3d is a deal breaker. For me I just care that my system works well out of the box; Since fast 3d isn't one of my needs, but 2d and video is, i'm extremely interested in open source drivers going in.

Comment

Seems like Greg Kroah Hartman might shove this in staging anyways by simply cloning a poulsbo specific copy of drm.

http://groups.google.com/group/fa.li...50330204cbc2af

Comment

Working...
                              X