Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI Catalyst 8.10 Driver

Grab here:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/64bit/ati-driver-installer-8-10-x86.x86_64.run

The release notes are still empty as of now:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/catalyst_810_linux.html

Cheers,

tramal

That driver is pure crap for serveral reasons

+ xorg 7.1 dri permissions are fixed (8-9 had wrong permissions)

- wine apps crash (for example trackmania)
    - 2.6.27 kernel needs same patch as 8-9
    - no x740 dirs like the driver for ubuntu 8.10
    - as usual no pointsprites with gl2benchmark
    - beryl not working with etch

so basically we are at the state of 8-8 again with a little bit different 2.6.27 patch.
    Last edited by Kano; 10-15-2008, 05:32 PM.

Comment

- no support for xorg-server-1.5 yet.

Comment

I'm starting to HATE Ubuntu for the same reasons I hate Windows.

Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          That driver is pure crap for serveral reasons

+ xorg 7.1 dri permissions are fixed (8-9 had wrong permissions)

- wine apps crash (for example trackmania)
          - 2.6.27 kernel needs same patch as 8-9
          - no x740 dirs like the driver for ubuntu 8.10
          - as usual no pointsprites with gl2benchmark
          - beryl not working with etch

so basically we are at the state of 8-8 again with a little bit different 2.6.27 patch.
          I will be very disappointed if this is true.

Comment

Tried the 8.10 driver on the ATI website.

ATIConfig results in a Segmentation Fault when I run it. Have tried manually adding the driver to xorg.conf and doing the "aticonfig -tls=1" trick but when I reboot I end up going back to the command line as Xserver says it cannot find any screens. Using the open-source drivers again now until some more people have tried 8.10 incase I had installed it wrong.

One thing I did notice is that an extra "modaliases" .deb package is generated when I build the packages.

Running ubuntu hardy, kde 4.1 and Mobility Radeon M10 (9600)

Comment

Oops there go my hopes for Xorg 7.4 support

I will have to roll back to F8, or switch distributions entirely... not a good thing either way. F9 (Xorg 7.4) is unstable as the result of XServer 1.5 - radeon(hd) drivers interaction crashing X (when using EXA the crash is very well defined to pan images larger than the viewing area, without it, the crashes are more "random"), though I seem to be of the few (very few it would seem) experimenting this issue with both drivers (radon and radeonhd), so no fgrlx for me, means I most likely will roll back. :-/

Comment

So is Ubuntu using a different binary driver or something? You'd think if it was a patch to the distributed-as-source bits, that Ubuntu could/would/should divulge what they did while playing with the prerelease driver.

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                  So is Ubuntu using a different binary driver or something? You'd think if it was a patch to the distributed-as-source bits, that Ubuntu could/would/should divulge what they did while playing with the prerelease driver.
                  Ubuntu? Get serious! They do not contribute much back upstream (until fairly recently, that is)

Comment

For Xserver 1.5 packages on other systems then Ubuntu you can try this hack:

Extract the ati-installer 8-10 and combine it with

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...43.orig.tar.gz

this way:

a) remove all old arch common x* dirs completely
                    b) create a new common dir, put etc lib opt usr from 8.543 in there the rest just copy to extracted 8-10 dir
                    c) rename x740 to x710 and x740_64a to x710_64a
                    d) now you can execute

./ati-installer.sh 8.542 --install

or whatever option you usually use.

Have fun
                    Last edited by Kano; 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Another thing you can do is to just install the 8.10 version from amd's website and then copy the files in the x740 directory into the appropriate locations.

Comment

I'm having better luck with this release. My plan was to stick with a more proven kernel, usually I went with whatever is latest. I stuck with a more proven kernel 2.6.26.x and I am having better luck with fglrx than I have before. I don't know if this release is actually better or if it's just because I'm sticking with the old kernel. More proven old version of Fedora as well, 8, rolled a kernel with the deprecated calls stuff and installed this driver manually (GPL hacks needed). No segfaults so far, of course I've probably jinxed it by saying that. Hope not. My problem wasn't performance for quite a few releases now, it was that segfaults made it useless, brought the whole system down at times. My advice is to forget about bleeding edge kernels and Xorg if you're going to try using this driver, maybe that is the key.

Comment

a) remove all old arch common x* dirs completely
                          b) create a new common dir, put etc lib opt usr from 8.543 in there the rest just copy to extracted 8-10 dir
                          c) rename x740 to x710 and x740_64a to x710_64a
                          d) now you can execute

./ati-installer.sh 8.542 --install
                          Thanks, following the first 2 steps I created an archive ati-driver-installer-8-10b-x86.x86_64.tar.gz that can be installed with an ebuild. It compiles fine with 2.6.27 kernels without patching and works ok with xorg-server-1.5. The only problem I have is that now amdcccle segfaults.

The diff for the ebuild:
                          Code:
                          --- /usr/portage/x11-drivers/ati-drivers/ati-drivers-8.532.ebuild	2008-09-30 01:24:49.000000000 +0200
                          +++ ati-drivers-8.543.ebuild	2008-10-16 21:23:02.000000000 +0200
                          @@ -9,7 +9,7 @@
                           DESCRIPTION="Ati precompiled drivers for recent chipsets"
                           HOMEPAGE="http://www.ati.com"
                           ATI_URL="https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/"
                          -SRC_URI="${ATI_URL}/ati-driver-installer-8-9-x86.x86_64.run"
                          +SRC_URI="${ATI_URL}/ati-driver-installer-8-10b-x86.x86_64.tar.gz"

LICENSE="AMD GPL-2 QPL-1.0 as-is"
                           KEYWORDS="~amd64 ~x86"
                          @@ -114,7 +114,7 @@
                           	fi

# Only support xorg-server >=1.1
                          -	BASE_DIR="${S}/x710"
                          +	BASE_DIR="${S}/x740"

# This is used like $(get_libdir) for paths in ati's package.
                           	if use amd64 ; then
                          @@ -130,8 +130,7 @@
                           src_unpack() {
                           	#Switching to a standard way to extract the files since otherwise no signature file
                           	#would be created
                          -	local src="${DISTDIR}/${A}"
                          -	sh "${src}" --extract "${S}"  2&>1 /dev/null
                          +	unpack "${A}"

# These are the userspace utilities that we also have source for.
                           	# We rebuild these later.
                          @@ -160,7 +159,7 @@
                           			|| die "Replacing 'finger' with 'who' failed."
                           		# Adjust paths in the script from /usr/X11R6/bin/ to /opt/bin/ and
                           		# add funktion to detect default state.
                          -		epatch "${FILESDIR}"/8.532/ati-powermode-opt-path-2.patch
                          +		epatch "${FILESDIR}"/8.543/ati-powermode-opt-path-2.patch
                           	fi

pushd ${MODULE_DIR} >/dev/null

Comment

For Xserver 1.5 packages on other systems then Ubuntu you can try this hack
                            Thought so - it's a shame AMD couldn't release it this way, but hopefully all the other distros that package binary drivers can set it up for 1.5 as well. I hope the reason AMD didn't flick the "enable" switch isn't too serious though...

Comment

Did anyone get the 8.10 release working with kernel 2.6.27 yet? I tried both the old, working 8.9 patch with addapted lines as well as a diff of the ubuntu firegl_public.c to the original one. Both with same result sadly - a black screen after running X. Ctrl+Alt+Backspace doesn't quit the X server, Ctrl+Alt+Delete results in a clean shutdown though. The X logfile didn't ring anything for me. You can check the Xorg.0.log here. Anyone been successful yet or got a clue?

Comment

Working...
                              X