Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by wfeltmate View Post
    Fixed, no. They are still working to implement and complete the missing features that is causing the tearing. However, I noticed a lot less tearing in this release than the previous. For me, I only notice the tearing during really fast action scenes.
    what is your xorg.conf ?

    Comment


    • @Vighy,

      which version of xorg-server do you use?
      I succeeded only after upgrading from 1.4.0.99 (which is default for Slackware 12.1 and Slamd64 12.1) to 1.4.2...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Aostrich View Post
        @Vighy,

        which version of xorg-server do you use?
        I succeeded only after upgrading from 1.4.0.99 (which is default for Slackware 12.1 and Slamd64 12.1) to 1.4.2...
        xorg-server-1.4.2
        and tried with 1.3.0.0 with the same result..

        but I also tried on a livecd of ubuntu, a supported distro, and Xorg hung again...

        with 8.7 bridgman said it could be related to my platform.. I don't know...

        Comment


        • Originally posted by mirak63 View Post
          what is your xorg.conf ?
          Pretty well just the default setup really.

          Section "ServerLayout"
          Identifier "Default Layout"
          Screen 0 "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0" 0 0
          # Screen "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1" LeftOf "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
          InputDevice "Synaptics Touchpad"
          EndSection

          Section "Files"
          EndSection

          Section "Module"
          EndSection

          Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
          Driver "kbd"
          Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
          Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
          Option "XkbLayout" "us"
          EndSection

          Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Configured Mouse"
          Driver "mouse"
          Option "CorePointer"
          EndSection

          Section "InputDevice"
          Identifier "Synaptics Touchpad"
          Driver "synaptics"
          Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
          Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
          Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
          Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "0"
          EndSection

          Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
          Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
          Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
          Option "DPMS" "true"
          EndSection

          Section "Monitor"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
          Option "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
          Option "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
          Option "DPMS" "true"
          EndSection

          Section "Device"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
          Driver "fglrx"
          BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
          EndSection

          Section "Device"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
          Driver "fglrx"
          BusID "PCI:1:5:0"
          Screen 1
          EndSection

          Section "Screen"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-0"
          Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-0"
          Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-0"
          DefaultDepth 24
          SubSection "Display"
          Viewport 0 0
          Depth 24
          EndSubSection
          EndSection

          Section "Screen"
          Identifier "aticonfig-Screen[0]-1"
          Device "aticonfig-Device[0]-1"
          Monitor "aticonfig-Monitor[0]-1"
          DefaultDepth 24
          SubSection "Display"
          Viewport 0 0
          Depth 24
          EndSubSection
          EndSection

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Tsume View Post
            Come on ATi, support my 3870x2 already... the thing's price has already halved from when I bought it in April so put that profit to good use!
            There is a thread here on how to hack the driver to get it working. However, this is not enough. I'm with you.

            Comment


            • I finally upgraded my drivers to ati's latest..I find a nice performance boost over the
              8.476's fps is up doing a few quick rounds of UT2k4 lowest was 83 highest was in the 200's.

              glxgears is up without the previous 1k dips
              [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxinfo
              name of display: :0.0
              display: :0 screen: 0
              direct rendering: Yes
              [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxgears
              44767 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8953.278 FPS
              44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.491 FPS
              44693 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.566 FPS
              44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.539 FPS
              44695 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.991 FPS
              44684 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8936.670 FPS
              44692 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.289 FPS
              44696 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8939.011 FPS
              44702 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8940.252 FPS
              [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fgl_glxgears
              Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
              8967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1793.400 FPS
              9942 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1988.400 FPS
              9937 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1987.400 FPS
              [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fglrxinfo
              display: :0.0 screen: 0
              OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
              OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X800 PRO
              OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release

              Vid playback is ok using VLC ..best ATI drivers I've used in quite a while keepers for me
              Nice job ATI..

              I'll try 3D desktop and wine tomorrow. Using Mandriva 2008.0 i586
              Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
              Ben Franklin 1755

              Comment


              • Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                I finally upgraded my drivers to ati's latest..I find a nice performance boost over the
                8.476's fps is up doing a few quick rounds of UT2k4 lowest was 83 highest was in the 200's.

                glxgears is up without the previous 1k dips
                [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxinfo
                name of display: :0.0
                display: :0 screen: 0
                direct rendering: Yes
                [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxgears
                44767 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8953.278 FPS
                44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.491 FPS
                44693 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.566 FPS
                44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.539 FPS
                44695 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.991 FPS
                44684 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8936.670 FPS
                44692 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.289 FPS
                44696 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8939.011 FPS
                44702 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8940.252 FPS
                [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fgl_glxgears
                Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
                8967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1793.400 FPS
                9942 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1988.400 FPS
                9937 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1987.400 FPS
                [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fglrxinfo
                display: :0.0 screen: 0
                OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X800 PRO
                OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release

                Vid playback is ok using VLC ..best ATI drivers I've used in quite a while keepers for me
                Nice job ATI..

                I'll try 3D desktop and wine tomorrow. Using Mandriva 2008.0 i586
                http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark

                Comment


                • Ty Deanjo, knew that, just posted the numbers to show the consistency in glxgears..no inexplicable dips. First time since the 8.28's for me.

                  UT2k4 using the stat fps command was the only real benchmark I rely on to see any improvements in gaming.

                  Just fired up wine and I have EverQuest running as I type this. Finally might be able to leave
                  xp behind once and for all.

                  Going to see if I can run fraps under wine to check the fps of EQ.

                  Again nice work Amd/ATI
                  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                  Ben Franklin 1755

                  Comment


                  • I am still experiencing the checkerboard problem with 8.9 and MythTV.

                    I am running an Asus P2-M2A690G barebones PC which has the Radeon 1250 integrated onboard plus HDMI output. I have it connected up via HDMI to a HDTV running 1080p res.

                    Running mythbuntu 8.4.1 and updates with the ATI drivers installed as per the instructions on cchtml. Everything looks to be working OK but I am still getting checkerboard of doom when running the MythTV frontend. Setting a "virtual X Y" in xorg.conf does work around the problem but is not really usable.

                    There is a second problem even when running the larger virtual screen when trying to view TV where the display gets split horizontally with both halves showing a squashed version of the image, but I think that might be a different issue.

                    Comment


                    • itomkins, before you installed the 8.9 drivers did you uninstall the old ones, or did you just install the new ones over the old ones? I would suggest uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and then reinstalling them and seeing if this fixes your problems.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by wfeltmate View Post
                        itomkins, before you installed the 8.9 drivers did you uninstall the old ones, or did you just install the new ones over the old ones? I would suggest uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and then reinstalling them and seeing if this fixes your problems.
                        To avoid any issues I did a fresh install of Mythbuntu, so I never installed the ATI drivers from the repositories. This is what I get from fglrxinfo.

                        $ fglrxinfo
                        display: :0.0 screen: 0
                        OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                        OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
                        OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release
                        Last edited by itomkins; 10-04-2008, 05:09 AM. Reason: more info

                        Comment


                        • That's what should be appearing, so at least we know that Mythbuntu is loading the driver properly. When you open the Catalyst Control Center, under Information, and then Software, what is the driver version listed? For 8.9 it should show 8.53.4

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by wfeltmate View Post
                            That's what should be appearing, so at least we know that Mythbuntu is loading the driver properly. When you open the Catalyst Control Center, under Information, and then Software, what is the driver version listed? For 8.9 it should show 8.53.4
                            Yes, I have just double checked and the version is showing as 8.53.4

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X