Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.9 Gets WINE Fix, RandR 1.2 Support

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I finally upgraded my drivers to ati's latest..I find a nice performance boost over the
    8.476's fps is up doing a few quick rounds of UT2k4 lowest was 83 highest was in the 200's.

    glxgears is up without the previous 1k dips
    [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0.0
    display: :0 screen: 0
    direct rendering: Yes
    [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxgears
    44767 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8953.278 FPS
    44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.491 FPS
    44693 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.566 FPS
    44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.539 FPS
    44695 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.991 FPS
    44684 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8936.670 FPS
    44692 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.289 FPS
    44696 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8939.011 FPS
    44702 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8940.252 FPS
    [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    8967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1793.400 FPS
    9942 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1988.400 FPS
    9937 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1987.400 FPS
    [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X800 PRO
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release

    Vid playback is ok using VLC ..best ATI drivers I've used in quite a while keepers for me
    Nice job ATI..

    I'll try 3D desktop and wine tomorrow. Using Mandriva 2008.0 i586
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    Ben Franklin 1755

    Comment


    • Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
      I finally upgraded my drivers to ati's latest..I find a nice performance boost over the
      8.476's fps is up doing a few quick rounds of UT2k4 lowest was 83 highest was in the 200's.

      glxgears is up without the previous 1k dips
      [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxinfo
      name of display: :0.0
      display: :0 screen: 0
      direct rendering: Yes
      [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ glxgears
      44767 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8953.278 FPS
      44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.491 FPS
      44693 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.566 FPS
      44688 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8937.539 FPS
      44695 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.991 FPS
      44684 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8936.670 FPS
      44692 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8938.289 FPS
      44696 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8939.011 FPS
      44702 frames in 5.0 seconds = 8940.252 FPS
      [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fgl_glxgears
      Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
      8967 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1793.400 FPS
      9942 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1988.400 FPS
      9937 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1987.400 FPS
      [larry@Tardis-1 ~]$ fglrxinfo
      display: :0.0 screen: 0
      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: RADEON X800 PRO
      OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release

      Vid playback is ok using VLC ..best ATI drivers I've used in quite a while keepers for me
      Nice job ATI..

      I'll try 3D desktop and wine tomorrow. Using Mandriva 2008.0 i586
      http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Glx...ot_a_Benchmark

      Comment


      • Ty Deanjo, knew that, just posted the numbers to show the consistency in glxgears..no inexplicable dips. First time since the 8.28's for me.

        UT2k4 using the stat fps command was the only real benchmark I rely on to see any improvements in gaming.

        Just fired up wine and I have EverQuest running as I type this. Finally might be able to leave
        xp behind once and for all.

        Going to see if I can run fraps under wine to check the fps of EQ.

        Again nice work Amd/ATI
        Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
        Ben Franklin 1755

        Comment


        • I am still experiencing the checkerboard problem with 8.9 and MythTV.

          I am running an Asus P2-M2A690G barebones PC which has the Radeon 1250 integrated onboard plus HDMI output. I have it connected up via HDMI to a HDTV running 1080p res.

          Running mythbuntu 8.4.1 and updates with the ATI drivers installed as per the instructions on cchtml. Everything looks to be working OK but I am still getting checkerboard of doom when running the MythTV frontend. Setting a "virtual X Y" in xorg.conf does work around the problem but is not really usable.

          There is a second problem even when running the larger virtual screen when trying to view TV where the display gets split horizontally with both halves showing a squashed version of the image, but I think that might be a different issue.

          Comment


          • itomkins, before you installed the 8.9 drivers did you uninstall the old ones, or did you just install the new ones over the old ones? I would suggest uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and then reinstalling them and seeing if this fixes your problems.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by wfeltmate View Post
              itomkins, before you installed the 8.9 drivers did you uninstall the old ones, or did you just install the new ones over the old ones? I would suggest uninstalling the drivers, rebooting and then reinstalling them and seeing if this fixes your problems.
              To avoid any issues I did a fresh install of Mythbuntu, so I never installed the ATI drivers from the repositories. This is what I get from fglrxinfo.

              $ fglrxinfo
              display: :0.0 screen: 0
              OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
              OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
              OpenGL version string: 2.1.7979 Release
              Last edited by itomkins; 10-04-2008, 05:09 AM. Reason: more info

              Comment


              • That's what should be appearing, so at least we know that Mythbuntu is loading the driver properly. When you open the Catalyst Control Center, under Information, and then Software, what is the driver version listed? For 8.9 it should show 8.53.4

                Comment


                • Originally posted by wfeltmate View Post
                  That's what should be appearing, so at least we know that Mythbuntu is loading the driver properly. When you open the Catalyst Control Center, under Information, and then Software, what is the driver version listed? For 8.9 it should show 8.53.4
                  Yes, I have just double checked and the version is showing as 8.53.4

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X