Coming Soon: Catalyst Control Center - Linux Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    I would never trust a Windows site with information like that.... really.
    Indeed. However, there might be some truth to it all just the same...

Comment

Originally posted by glussier View Post
      The article doesn't mention performance improvement for the linux drivers, only that the control center will be available in April.

The Opengl improvement will be for Vista's Opengl which should make it on par with winxp and Vista's Crossfire support.

Instead of losing their time on a Linux control center, Ati should spend some time improving linux opengl performance and start supporting composite.
      Well... Why don't we all tell them this- nicely. You might be surprised at what one might accomplish right at this moment- no telling what finding out that there's a much larger demand than they envisioned could do for things.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Indeed. However, there might be some truth to it all just the same...
        Probably not. The information wasn't even on an AMD slide at their site.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by glussier View Post
          The Opengl improvement will be for Vista's Opengl which should make it on par with winxp and Vista's Crossfire support.

Instead of losing their time on a Linux control center, Ati should spend some time improving linux opengl performance and start supporting composite.
          Yes but Vista is using the Orca rewrite which I assume will also be used on XP and linux (eventually). I'd love to see some performance improvements but I think that some other bugs (AA artifacts, freeze on logout/switch to console etc.) should be prioritized.

Comment

But it looks very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik_N View Post
              Yes but Vista is using the Orca rewrite which I assume will also be used on XP and linux (eventually). I'd love to see some performance improvements but I think that some other bugs (AA artifacts, freeze on logout/switch to console etc.) should be prioritized.
              I wish I could tell you more, but...I'd have ta kill ya...

Comment

There are very serious bugs in fglrx. They have to fix these first. The GUI Control Panel is nonsense if the underlying program crashes, freezes and malfunctions.

Comment

i wonder how much time will it take to have them fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
                    i wonder how much time will it take to have them fixed.
                    Have what fixed exactly?
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

I think he meant bugs many people are experiencing very often. I, for example, can't switch from X to console (shutdown/reboot also doesn't work properly), have slow performance and when I play a game two minutes the entire machine freezes. Also, when only X is running and I am surfing the web for example, my ATI Radeon X1900 XTX has the cooler running (not very fast, but much noisier than in Windows). And then I am waiting for features like the upcoming Catalyst Control Center in the 8.36-driver and for full AIGLX support.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                        ...Catalyst Control Center in the 8.36-driver and for full AIGLX support...
                        Still thinking 8.36 due to that PCPer article? Had that PCPer article mentioned AIGLX?
                        Michael Larabel

Comment

Yes and No. I can only hope that AIGLX comes soon...

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            Have what fixed exactly?
                            How about: this one:

(EE) fglrx(0): PreInitDAL failed
                            (EE) fglrx(0): PreInit failed
                            Screen(s) found but none have usable configuration

Check this post

http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=399

Note with the FC6 "Radeon" drivers there are not any issues whatsoever.

Comment

I have X1900XT and it draws parts of any window in the lower right hand corner of my monitor with no 3D acceleration support. ATI Linux driver FTL.

Comment

Weird problem, Xiann.

I tested 8.34.8 and found out that the crashes in games are gone, but I have one very bad problem left:

I can't switch to console with Ctrl+Alt+F1, when I do it, it hangs. I can then reboot with Ctrl+Alt+Del. It also hangs when I want to reboot/shutdown under KDE. It just can't switch from X to console. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                                X