Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's UVD2 & XvMC For Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD's UVD2 & XvMC For Linux?

    Phoronix: AMD's UVD2 & XvMC For Linux?

    Last month the Catalyst 8.8 Linux driver was released with CrossFire For Linux (including support for the Radeon HD 4870 X2) and OverDrive-based overclocking. In that article we also shared two new interesting libraries appeared within the driver package: libAMDXvBA.so.1.o and libXvBAW.so.1.o. The AMDXvBA and XvBAW libraries aren't yet used by the driver, but their names are rather interesting containing Xv. Xv, or X-Video, has been supported by the proprietary Catalyst package for some time on Linux and Textured Video is even supported by the open-source xf86-video-ati driver for most of the card generations...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NjcwMA

  • #2
    With that information out there, now we're willing to talk a bit more about these two new libraries.
    What does that mean?

    Comment


    • #3
      Obviously this will be a major draw for the tech savy and it is necessary to combat intel in one market that they are developing good cards in ---> media pc's.

      Anyhow I have been frowing, umming and ahhing for a long long time about an HTPC, if someone now brings out amicro-atx 790g board with optical spdif out and if the 22w x2 is available, then i am totally happy:



      greedy i know

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
        What does that mean?
        I can't comment.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          This is great news!
          Will my X1250 with Avivo but no UVD, also benefit from this?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Cuppa-Chino View Post
            Obviously this will be a major draw for the tech savy and it is necessary to combat intel in one market that they are developing good cards in ---> media pc's.

            Anyhow I have been frowing, umming and ahhing for a long long time about an HTPC, if someone now brings out amicro-atx 790g board with optical spdif out and if the 22w x2 is available, then i am totally happy:



            greedy i know
            What's wrong with an mATX 780g board with optical SPDIF out?
            They've been out for ages.

            J1M.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by RoboJ1M View Post
              What's wrong with an mATX 780g board with optical SPDIF out?
              They've been out for ages.

              J1M.
              Nothing wrong there... but newer is nice to. and now amd's support on linux is good enough to buy new introduced hardware... after doing some checking of course

              The new lowbudget amd chipset are great for mythbuntu (mythtv) based mediacenters. Works like a charm and drivers get better everyday.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by DocentDAMP View Post
                This is great news!
                Will my X1250 with Avivo but no UVD, also benefit from this?
                Sure is good news.

                I don't know what X1250 will get, I also don't know what my HD3850 will get, it's UVD but the article says UVD2...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                  Nothing wrong there... but newer is nice to. and now amd's support on linux is good enough to buy new introduced hardware... after doing some checking of course

                  The new lowbudget amd chipset are great for mythbuntu (mythtv) based mediacenters. Works like a charm and drivers get better everyday.
                  principally nothing wrong with 780g, and expect it could end that way, its just that the 790gx is even lower energy consumption . . .

                  and in a system that should come in around 45w (?) total at full load, the difference between the 780g and 790gx would be visible..

                  anyway as said its just pure greed on my part, I do hope that the 22w part will not only be OEM

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I can't comment.
                    Ok I will then.

                    With that information out there, now we're willing to talk a bit more about these two new libraries
                    So lets break this sentence down and see what we can find.

                    "With the information...", this is referring to the previous statement:
                    Word though has leaked onto the Internet by some Windows web-sites that AMD intends to provide high-definition video acceleration on some select Linux-based computers using ATI graphics.
                    "..out there", obviously referring to the public domain/internet.

                    ", now we're willing to talk a bit more" hmm

                    This is strange, because if: phoronix/Michael was under an NDA over ATI UVD/Linux/Whatever, he would not be able to "talk" about it, until the embargo was lifted. But since he says "now we're willing" it gets tricky, why "now", did you have to wait for someone else to report so-called classified information, before you could? but how can you in the first place if you were under an NDA, already exposed information or not?

                    I am really beginning to doubt the credibility and sincerity of phoronix articles. There is way too much hush hush, I like open source and the sharing of information. I think trustworthy journalism, is an oxymoron, in this day and age.

                    And all this hype about ATi and open source drivers. Maybe ATi is just fueling journalists with this hypabole to reduce tension, so each month we get 2 lines of code every time the tension increases?

                    So by the time your ATi product is completely obsolete (some 10yrs later), there will be enough doc to write a full driver.

                    Closed source, open source, whatever, I want something that works, today, for current products, with current applications.

                    Sadly Nvidia is the only company that can boast Linux support.

                    ATi should:

                    1. Give out a copy of Windows, when you buy an ATi product.
                    2. Give a discount to Linux/Unix users, because they do not benefit from customer support.

                    I don't mind paying $100 for a HD4870, knowing I can only use it in 4 years.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      @ cruiseoveride

                      I was also curious about that sentence. And I share the same sentiment (though not to the same extent) about all the hush-hush in articles I read on this site. It does get kind of old seeing "well, we can't talk about that just yet" or "now we'll speak up" and things of that nature.

                      But, as a linux user with an R500, it's either dig through mailing lists, press releases, and IRC logs or put up with Phoronix's occasional secrecy. Laziness wins out.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by cruiseoveride View Post
                        Ok I will then.



                        So lets break this sentence down and see what we can find.

                        "With the information...", this is referring to the previous statement:


                        "..out there", obviously referring to the public domain/internet.

                        ", now we're willing to talk a bit more" hmm

                        This is strange, because if: phoronix/Michael was under an NDA over ATI UVD/Linux/Whatever, he would not be able to "talk" about it, until the embargo was lifted. But since he says "now we're willing" it gets tricky, why "now", did you have to wait for someone else to report so-called classified information, before you could? but how can you in the first place if you were under an NDA, already exposed information or not?
                        I'm pretty sure Michael's NDA has a clause which says if information under the NDA gets out due to no fault of your own, you can then speak to that information only (or they got the OK from AMD)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DocentDAMP View Post
                          This is great news!
                          Will my X1250 with Avivo but no UVD, also benefit from this?
                          AIK UVD won't be supported anyhow due to the antifunctions.

                          If the spechs for the antifunctions where known you could actualy write drivers that makes things that "just works".

                          AIK UVD2 will be supported in the future.

                          But XVMC would be an very welcome gesture for UVD, even with the usual ATI tearing ;D

                          There is an thread where video acc and antifunctions are discussed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            What will be interesting though is how AMD decides to implement their high-definition video support on Linux. Seeing as there is no suitable standard right now, they will likely introduce their own interface.
                            How about VAAPI? Intel is going to support it (already does on some ATOM chipsets I understood), if AMD would support it as well I guess ffmpeg support wouldn't be far away and that would bring support to mplayer, xine etc. And at that point nVidia won't really have any choice.

                            ATM there is no standard to accelerate h.264 (XvMC only supports MPEG2), VAAPI should be it but seems not to be used..

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by W3ird_N3rd View Post
                              How about VAAPI? Intel is going to support it (already does on some ATOM chipsets I understood), if AMD would support it as well I guess ffmpeg support wouldn't be far away and that would bring support to mplayer, xine etc. And at that point nVidia won't really have any choice.

                              ATM there is no standard to accelerate h.264 (XvMC only supports MPEG2), VAAPI should be it but seems not to be used..
                              Which interface are you talking about? Intel is developing two competing ones - VAAPI and an extension to XvMC.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X