Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.8 Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by d2kx View Post
    I've got Debian/sid (sidux) with KDE 4.1 (from kde4.debian.net) running and I don't have any problems... the desktop effects work very well with OpenGL (mostly).
    Let me guess you have a r500 card !
    AFAIK only r600 have performance issues on KDE4.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by taipan View Post
      Let me guess you have a r500 card !
      AFAIK only r600 have performance issues on KDE4.
      R580 Didn't know about R6xx+ issues.

      Comment


      • Catalyst 8.8 on 2.6.26 and 2.6.27 on Fedora 9

        Fedora is in an odd state with regard to ati drivers, the default xorg-server is 1.4.99x so to install catalyst you need to downgrade mesa and the xorg-server. On top of this problem, I require a 2.6.26 or higher kernel in order to avoid some of the problems in 2.6.25 with my network card (iwl4965) and some usb-audio realtime timing issues. Unfortunately, Catalyst didn't support kernels higher than 2.6.25 until now so I have been without 3d for months. Thankfully, the 8.8 drivers do support kernel 2.6.26 and, with a little hacking, 2.6.27.

        I won't repost everything here but click on these links if you are interested in how I got:
        Catalyst 8.8 on kernel 2.6.26 with fedora 9
        or Catalyst 8.8 on kernel 2.6.27 with fedora 9

        Hope someone finds my hacks helpful

        Comment


        • emm, there are simple patches in the wild to make the 8.7 driver work with 2.6.26

          Comment


          • Originally posted by energyman View Post
            emm, there are simple patches in the wild to make the 8.7 driver work with 2.6.26
            *shrug* 8.8 works with 2.6.26 out of the box. It is also a pain to recompile the kernel on Fedora which I think some of the patches seemed to require. In any case, vive le Catalyst 8.8 which is what this thread is about anyway.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by stardancer View Post
              Fedora is in an odd state with regard to ati drivers, the default xorg-server is 1.4.99x so to install catalyst you need to downgrade mesa and the xorg-server. On top of this problem, I require a 2.6.26 or higher kernel in order to avoid some of the problems in 2.6.25 with my network card (iwl4965) and some usb-audio realtime timing issues. Unfortunately, Catalyst didn't support kernels higher than 2.6.25 until now so I have been without 3d for months. Thankfully, the 8.8 drivers do support kernel 2.6.26 and, with a little hacking, 2.6.27.

              I won't repost everything here but click on these links if you are interested in how I got:
              Catalyst 8.8 on kernel 2.6.26 with fedora 9
              or Catalyst 8.8 on kernel 2.6.27 with fedora 9

              Hope someone finds my hacks helpful
              I'm not sure why AMD refuses to provide drivers that support Xorg 1.4.99 considering Nvidia has for months. Sure nvidia has their own set of problems, notably for 8xxx series and up, but for the most part it's still a lot less hassle to get working 3d support, open source or not. and that's really the bottom line, getting things to work, where AMD still fails.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by seeker010 View Post
                I'm not sure why AMD refuses to provide drivers that support Xorg 1.4.99 considering Nvidia has for months. Sure nvidia has their own set of problems, notably for 8xxx series and up, but for the most part it's still a lot less hassle to get working 3d support, open source or not. and that's really the bottom line, getting things to work, where AMD still fails.
                If you want things to "just work", why are you insisting on using a prerelease version of xorg?

                Comment


                • Originally posted by grantek View Post
                  If you want things to "just work", why are you insisting on using a prerelease version of xorg?
                  and think about the fact that only one distribution does this ...

                  Comment


                  • My experience on this month's release on a Radeon 3200 (AMD 780G chipset):

                    DVD videos are choppy when in fullscreen mode. In 3D games (linux native, opengl) I often get pauses, with the game standing still for 1 to 2s. Especially annoying in online games. :-( My CPU loads stays the same all the time so its definately a graphics problem with both. All is fine again after going back to 8.7.

                    The wine problems also still exist. (The virtual desktop hack in xorg.conf only partially works) In other words, I'll pass and have successfully reverted back to the working 8.7 drivers. Hope these issues will be fixed in 8.9.

                    Comment


                    • The choppiness seems to have something to do with the PAT (Page Attribute Table) option which seems to be enabled by default in 8.8 (at least that's what I'm seeing other users say) but which doesn't seem to work well on some systems. I think the "nopat" boot option (IIRC) might get rid of the choppiness.

                      I think PAT support first appeared in the 2.6.26 kernel.

                      Check posts 101-104 in this thread.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 08-25-2008, 01:13 PM.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                        The choppiness seems to have something to do with the PAT (Page Attribute Table) option which seems to be enabled by default in 8.8 (at least that's what I'm seeing other users say) but which doesn't seem to work well on some systems. I think the "nopat" boot option (IIRC) might get rid of the choppiness.

                        I think PAT support first appeared in the 2.6.26 kernel.

                        Check posts 101-104 in this thread.
                        yeah, this is exactly what is happening. With 8.7 PAT gets disabled when the driver loads, with 8.8 PAT stays enabled. Both with 2.6.26 kernel. With PAT enabled video, 2d, 3d is very choppy - we are talking about 1second lockups in ut2004 while the game continues. But with 'nopat' on the kernel command line, 8.8 behaves at least as well as 8.7.

                        The only strange thing: even with nopat, the drivers mumbles something about enabling pat ....
                        this is with nopat:
                        [ 42.935555] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
                        [ 42.999284] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 3791 MBytes.
                        [ 42.999573] [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9501 count: 1
                        [ 43.002228] [fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0xe000, size: 0x100
                        [ 43.002496] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNED] enabled at IRQ 17
                        [ 43.002502] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:00.0[A] -> Link [LNED] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
                        [ 43.002506] PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:04:00.0 to 64
                        [ 43.005224] [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
                        [ 43.005387] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.52.3 [Aug 1 2008] with 1 minors
                        [ 44.888555] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 3791 MBytes.
                        [ 44.892654] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Shared offset:0, size:1000000
                        [ 44.892654] [fglrx] Reserved FB block: Unshared offset:ff7f000, size:80000

                        (I played with locked memory as xorg option at first, it hadn't had any influence - but nopat solved everything). With pat enabled it looks a little bit different.

                        Comment


                        • and this is with pat enabled:
                          Aug 20 09:15:23 [kernel] [ 0.000000] x86 PAT enabled: cpu 0, old 0x7040600070406, new 0x7010600070106
                          .
                          .
                          .
                          Aug 20 09:15:23 [kernel] [ 0.136657] x86 PAT enabled: cpu 1, old 0x7040600070406, new 0x7010600070106
                          .
                          .
                          .

                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.499400] fglrx: module license 'Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY' taints kernel.
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.542144] [fglrx] Maximum main memory to use for locked dma buffers: 3791 MBytes.
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.542381] [fglrx] vendor: 1002 device: 9501 count: 1
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.542738] [fglrx] ioport: bar 4, base 0xe000, size: 0x100
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.543004] ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNED] enabled at IRQ 17
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.543010] ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:04:00.0[A] -> Link [LNED] -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.545392] [fglrx] Pat entry 2 is already configured
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.545393] [fglrx] PAT is enabled successfully!
                          Aug 20 23:47:00 [kernel] [ 42.545539] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.52.3 [Aug 1 2008] with 1 minors

                          Comment


                          • Oh, thank you for your reply. I had read about the issues with PAT but must have somehow overread that it were the same issues that occured to me.

                            Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                            The choppiness seems to have something to do with the PAT (Page Attribute Table) option which seems to be enabled by default in 8.8 (at least that's what I'm seeing other users say) but which doesn't seem to work well on some systems.
                            Well, I tried the nopat option and it got way better. As others reported PAT is then disabled for the CPU cores but fglrx still reports it as active.

                            Result: 3D games now run without problems. DVDs however still don't perform the way they used to on 8.7. I experience what I can best describe as micro-stutters. So not as bad as with PAT enabled. But still frame drops once in a while (too often for me not to revert to 8.7 sadly).

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by taipan View Post
                              Let me guess you have a r500 card !
                              AFAIK only r600 have performance issues on KDE4.
                              ... and rv7xx

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by rampage7 View Post
                                ... and rv7xx
                                So 2D Acceleration and Render isn't working correctly on cards above R500?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X