Future of my support for ATI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost usable

Yea, I don't think so. I copied the diff++ and patch won't apply it.

Code:
    siggma@ibex:~/xf86-video-ati$ sudo patch -p001 < ../tearfreepatch.txt 
    patching file src/atombios_crtc.c
    patch: **** malformed patch at line 6: OUTREG(AVIVO_D1MODE_VIEWPORT_SIZE + radeon_crtc->crtc_offset,
    Either copying it from the web messed up line endings or it's not valid for the current version.

Thanks anyway.

Update:

For those who care the latest radeonhd works better now and is almost usable.
    Git compile instructions are here: http://www.digitalself.org/2008/06/1...ri-3d-support/

Relevant xorg.conf for r560 (x1650) using HDMI->DMI adapter ->LG 19" panel below:

Code:
    Section "Device"
        Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
        Driver "radeonhd"
    #    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
        Option "DRI" "true"
        Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
        Option "BackingStore" "on" 
        Option "MaxGARTSize" "512"
        Option "ColorTiling" "on"
        Option "EnablePageFlip" "on"
        Option "DisplayPriority" "HIGH" #BIOS or AUTO   
    EndSection
    NOTE: Page flipping makes a HUGE difference for me. I still see video artifacts but it's nowhere near as bad as it has been.
    Last edited by siggma; 11-24-2008, 06:49 PM. Reason: Added results for radeonhd

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      There has been a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem here. One thing that wasn't so obvious to us back in 2002/2003 was that major advances in the X framework were totally dependent on availability of decent open source drivers for a majority of GPU vendors, since any API-breaking changes to the framework couldn't even be tested unless the same developers could make co-ordinated changes to the drivers.

This is obvious in hindsight, but what isn't ?
      You know what???

Freakin Bravo man...

I couldnt possibley have said it any better myself even if I had tried. And that really is the crux of it isnt it? A radeon 7000 works beautifully in linux. Its a wonderful experience. All of the features that card supports are also supported by X. Now that we finally have newer hardware with open source support with more features, those should be supported in due time as well.
      Last edited by duby229; 11-24-2008, 06:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by siggma View Post
        I can't find a zip for the tear-free video patch. I see the commit log but I don't really know how to get the actual patch. Can one of you give me a hint?

i just got the latest radeon video source and compiled it and I'm about to test it before I apply any patches.
        -Tom
        There is currently more work going on to get vsync for R500, so it may be worth waiting a bit.

http://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=18542

Comment

Working...
        X