Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problem with Catalyst v8.6 and 8.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Is there a Bugzilla ticket open for this ?

    Comment


    • #12
      Well, the drivers work fine on my cards. My HD3850's performance on things like Nexuiz is about 95% that of the Windows driver, which is pretty darn good if you ask me. Performance on my laptop's 200M shows about the same delta. Stability is not much of a problem either; only thing that has caused a few crashes/freezes on my main system are Flash and Compiz. In fact, the only real headaches with the driver was when I messed around with different xservers while testing the open source driver on my latop. My systems are nothing special either; Ubuntu/Kubuntu Hardy with the distribution kernel.
      I will, however, give you a point on Wine. Something went bad after the 8.5 release. Wine is totally unusable now with the latest driver.

      Comment


      • #13
        Trying to help

        Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Is there a Bugzilla ticket open for this ?
        I did a search in bugzilla and it came up with nothing. I then decided to submit the bug. Here is the link:

        http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1222

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by mega_mike View Post
          I did a search in bugzilla and it came up with nothing. I then decided to submit the bug. Here is the link:

          http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1222
          Did you try taking some (if not all) of the experimental parameters off of your xorg.conf? Also, some of the stuff there you should not have to specify, like the DRI and Composite stuff, not if you're using the recent drivers. Additionally, check your physical system RAM usage; I have noticed with the recent drivers that sometimes some 3D apps. will not terminate properly, therefore "hoging" RAM and leading to performance loss over time.
          Last edited by Melcar; 07-25-2008, 02:00 PM.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by mega_mike View Post
            I did a search in bugzilla and it came up with nothing. I then decided to submit the bug. Here is the link:

            http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1222
            Thanks !!! (needed three exclamation marks to meet the 10 character minimum )

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Melcar View Post
              Did you try taking some (if not all) of the experimental parameters off of your xorg.conf? Also, some of the stuff there you should not have to specify, like the DRI and Composite stuff, not if you're using the recent drivers. Additionally, check your physical system RAM usage; I have noticed with the recent drivers that sometimes some 3D apps. will not terminate properly, therefore "hoging" RAM and leading to performance loss over time.
              I have actually tried with the device section bare of any options and the result is the same. The non-terminating apps seems to be a more reasonable reason. Top doesn't show anything hogging memory. There could be something latent like you said....how would I check for that anyway?

              Comment


              • #17
                I don't understand. I've tryed Catalist drivers in 4 diferent systems now. 2 LG laptops (mine and my girlfriend) both with x1400 and they work flawless (since the memory leak from last october). My friends x1950 on a HP desktop and today a x700 from another friend.

                In all the cases 8.7 is instaled, WINE running (WoW in the x1400 and x1950, some old games on the x700), no tearing on videos etc etc...

                I think it's true that people always complain but never do anything when things are working.

                A poll or something would be a good thing to check about the status of fgrlx around phoronix :P

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                  I don't understand. I've tryed Catalist drivers in 4 diferent systems now. 2 LG laptops (mine and my girlfriend) both with x1400 and they work flawless (since the memory leak from last october). My friends x1950 on a HP desktop and today a x700 from another friend.

                  In all the cases 8.7 is instaled, WINE running (WoW in the x1400 and x1950, some old games on the x700), no tearing on videos etc etc...

                  I think it's true that people always complain but never do anything when things are working.

                  A poll or something would be a good thing to check about the status of fgrlx around phoronix :P
                  I guess I didn't explain this properly, performance at boot is flawless, no issues whatsoever. Performance is perfect, no gradual loss or any other issues for 6 hours. The issue is that after roughly 6 hours of usage, BOOM, the system process meter goes high at idle, the graphics get choppy and the system hard locks on an attempted X restart.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Thanks for the extra detail.

                    The wierd thing is that a few users have seen this with the open source drivers (matching your description exactly IIRC) but I hadn't heard about it happening on fglrx before.

                    Jerome (glisse) was looking into the issue with the open drivers -- from what I remember last week he had fixed perhaps 1/2 dozen different lockup scenarios but this one was still unresolved. Anyways, I guess it could still be a memory leak running over some boundary but it seems unlikely we would have memory leaks causing the same behaviour on both open and closed drivers since the code is so different.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 07-25-2008, 03:27 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Hi,


                      Why not ask that Bridgman guy, believe or not he actually works for ATI, he has nothing to say about the bugs, or offer any help, just quotes release notes all the time.

                      He has everyone here practically beta testing for him, month after month.
                      send me your xorg log and rubbish like that. All we get is more bugs.It makes you wonder if they test them at all or leave all to beta testers.

                      These driver errors are really embarrassing, they are worse than beta drivers.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X