X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 8.7

The Windows béta of Catalyst 8.7 is out:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...8277&Itemid=34

Do you know if the Linux béta is also out?

It's a leaked, early test driver for the Catalyst 8.8 driver release, so no one will recommend you downloading that driver.

But I can smell that a new official driver release is in the air... can't be far away from now

Comment

Leaked driver. ATI only holds closed BETA programs. Use at your own risk.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
        It's a leaked, early test driver for the Catalyst 8.8 driver release, so no one will recommend you downloading that driver.

But I can smell that a new official driver release is in the air... can't be far away from now
        maybe tomorrow... or the next week... ain't it right?

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
          maybe tomorrow... or the next week... ain't it right?
          someone sayd tomorrow

Comment

new driver would be a nice thing, since it would be the first driver update while i own a amd card and i hope it will be a nice release.

And yes, i smell a new release, too

Comment

why bother with it??

is the same shame every month...

Comment

Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
                why bother with it??

Not always, and not in any compartment. it simply depends

Comment

not the same. developers work hard to screw up at a different place each month :]

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                    someone sayd tomorrow
                    Mhh it was not yesterday.... so it will be the next week

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                      Mhh it was not yesterday.... so it will be the next week
                      No Problem the Catalyst 8.6 works fine vor me so i can wait

Comment

I tried the Catalyst 8-6 drivers with my new 3200 IPG (780G mobo) and got a white screen of death. I went back to radeonHD and at least mode-setting works if no acceleration. I'm a patient man, and will wait for the radeonHD team to bang away at the registers.
                        Last edited by DanL; 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM.

Comment

with Catalyst 8.6 the performance on fgl_glxgears are very bad.

Catalyst 8.5: 300 fps
                          Catalyst 8.6: 75 fps

The 3D work but the performance are bad.

Last year I have read that AMD will give a Linux driver who give the same performance than the Windows driver... Is it for Jully 2008? for Jully 2030?...

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
                            with Catalyst 8.6 the performance on fgl_glxgears are very bad.

Catalyst 8.5: 300 fps
                            Catalyst 8.6: 75 fps

The 3D work but the performance are bad.

Last year I have read that AMD will give a Linux driver who give the same performance than the Windows driver... Is it for Jully 2008? for Jully 2030?...
                            Numbers like that indicate that you have are running with vsync on. Go into CCCLE and look for the vsync options.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

I’m really looking forward to this new driver release and hope its coming out soon.

So far, I have only been able to install Catalyst 8.6 on Arch Linux, but not to change the screen resolution (to 1152x864 @ 100Hz – I don’t think that’s something extraordinary!).

On Zenwalk I couldn’t install the driver at all, neither on kernel 2.5, nor 2.6. I have checked the net for the several error messages I got due my process in trying to get the drivers to work and it seems like its back to applying patches and compiling the kernel just to get a graphics card driver to work (reminds me of my time when I was still using a Radeon 9800 and why I have changed to nVidia).

In games on Windows the new HD4870 is a blast, which is why I really like to keep this card. But its frustrating to see that momentarily that’s really the only way my new rig is workable.

Since I still have a week time to return the new card I hope the driver is coming out in the next couple of days because I really want to give it another try.

Comment

Working...
                              X