Catalyst 8.7

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Janusz11 View Post
    I’m really looking forward to this new driver release and hope its coming out soon.

So far, I have only been able to install Catalyst 8.6 on Arch Linux, but not to change the screen resolution (to 1152x864 @ 100Hz – I don’t think that’s something extraordinary!).

On Zenwalk I couldn’t install the driver at all, neither on kernel 2.5, nor 2.6. I have checked the net for the several error messages I got due my process in trying to get the drivers to work and it seems like its back to applying patches and compiling the kernel just to get a graphics card driver to work (reminds me of my time when I was still using a Radeon 9800 and why I have changed to nVidia).

In games on Windows the new HD4870 is a blast, which is why I really like to keep this card. But its frustrating to see that momentarily that’s really the only way my new rig is workable.

Since I still have a week time to return the new card I hope the driver is coming out in the next couple of days because I really want to give it another try.
    Remember that they do not support their driver on those platforms.
    I've got problems too: Xorg hangs when closed, but I don't complain since I'm not on a supported platform.

I will check if the problem is mine, or it's the driver, but as long as I'm not sure, I don't complain.

I know you may say that suse, or fedora suck, (I don't think it, even if I use gentoo) but they're the best way at the moment to make Catalyst work for sure and as expected.

But don't worry, on Wednesday the driver should be out.

Comment

Originally posted by pierluc View Post
      Last year I have read that AMD will give a Linux driver who give the same performance than the Windows driver... Is it for Jully 2008? for Jully 2030?...
      Just for the record, my X1600 works just as fast on Linux as on Windows when playing Nexuiz
      I'm sorry that there are still people who suffer these kinds of problems at every new driver release... I, for myself, are forced to stay at 8.4 for now as 8.5 & 8.6 can't do 3d on a second x server for me.

However, I REALLY hope they finally fixed their damn Wine bug!
      (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13335)

Comment

Originally posted by mtippett View Post
        Numbers like that indicate that you have are running with vsync on. Go into CCCLE and look for the vsync options.

Regards,

Matthew
        Where is this option on the Catalyst Control Panel?

Comment

Where is this option on the Catalyst Control Panel?
          3D -> More Settings -> Wait for vertical refresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
            I will check if the problem is mine, or it's the driver, but as long as I'm not sure, I don't complain.
            Remove atieventsd from your list of progs and xorg will be able to normally shutdown.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
              Remove atieventsd from your list of progs and xorg will be able to normally shutdown.
              Mh ok, but what's the real function of it? ain't it there to catch acpi events like the lid closed, or the Fn+"whatever button" press to perform something to the monitor?

and what I really miss removing it?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                and what I really miss removing it?
                thanks
                PowerPlay i think,maybe few things also.

Comment

Now Xorg crashes on the re-start.

Closing is ok, starting again results in hang funny ain't it?

Comment

I had the problem of X hanging when I restarted it; try to disable framebuffer. That's what fixed it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by anyone View Post
                      I had the problem of X hanging when I restarted it; try to disable framebuffer. That's what fixed it for me.
                      Really!?

nuooooo I will have to say goodbye to that beautiful theme! ok I will try that too.. I really want to get rid of those boring hangs!

thanks to all!

EDIT: Ok right, without frame buffer, it doesn't hang on X restart... only sorry for my splash screen
                      Last edited by Vighy; 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by storma View Post
                        3D -> More Settings -> Wait for vertical refresh.
                        Tanks! Now my performance are better.

Comment

The Windows béta of Catalyst 8.7 is out:
                          http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...8277&Itemid=34

Do you know if the Linux béta is also out?
                          The Linux (or Windows) beta is private and you are required to accept a NDA. The above beta is clearly a breach of that agreement, IMHO.

Comment

http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/at...x86.x86_64.run

Release Notes: https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206..._87_linux.html

Comment

no Fedroa 9 support???

Here I was thinking that this release would FINALLY support the version of xorg that comes with Fedora 9 and my wait would be over... Guess I have to go down the path of installing the xorg from Fedora 8 instead.

slackers...

Comment

Kernel 2.6.26

What about Kernel 2.6.26?

Comment

Working...
                                X