Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD/ATI + Linux + WINE = FAIL... all around.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    You know what's funny?
    I also get the "chess board of doom" in Windows XP.
    Sometime when I'm in Counter Strike 1.6 NonSteam if I press Tab, by mistake I also press CapsLock and then the chess board of doom appears.
    Sounds strange but when I press CapsLock a small window appears at the bottom right edge of the screen to notify capslock on/off and that could be the cause.
    Anyway I can reproduce this everytime but it happends only the first time then everything works ok.
    Last edited by mo0n_sniper; 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM. Reason: be more specific

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by mo0n_sniper View Post
      You know what's funny?
      I also get the "chess board of doom" in windows.
      Sometime when I'm in Counter Strike 1.6 NonSteam if I press Tab, by mistake I also press CapsLock and then the chess board of doom appears.
      Sounds strange but when I press CapsLock a small window appears at the bottom right edge of the screen to notify capslock on/off and that could be the cause.
      Anyway I can reproduce this everytime but it happends only the first time then everything works ok.
      I just hope that one day we have same level of support and stability in 3D and Wine similar to that of nVIDIA..

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by Zhick View Post
        It's not a secret that Codeweavers is using wines code for their CrossOver Software.
        I don't recall anyone ever saying that it was a secret.

        Comment


        • #64
          It has long been said:
          ATI = good hardware, sucky drivers
          nVidia = sucky hardware, good drivers
          and if you put the two together, you'd get nVidia's hardware and ATI's drivers

          nobody tell Jade that 'tinfoil' is actually made of aluminum, his head might explode

          Comment


          • #65
            I have some good news!

            With Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE 4.1 running) I can have Desktop Effects (Kwin) + Wine running withouth flickering (Using the 8.11 Beta drivers or whatever ships with (k)ubuntu)

            Im pretty satisfied!

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
              I have some good news!

              With Kubuntu 8.10 (KDE 4.1 running) I can have Desktop Effects (Kwin) + Wine running withouth flickering (Using the 8.11 Beta drivers or whatever ships with (k)ubuntu)

              Im pretty satisfied!
              By default, there's an open-source radeon (with KWing effects turned ON). But you can enable Proprietary driver, which will be Catalyst 8.10.

              What's your setup?

              Comment


              • #67
                It's with the proprietary driver (otherwise no Wine).

                I Have a X1400Mobilty on a LG P2 Express Dual

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                  It's with the proprietary driver (otherwise no Wine).

                  I Have a X1400Mobilty on a LG P2 Express Dual
                  Is wine works in Window or Fullscreen? What about Video playback (via Xv; in window and in fullscreen) with KWing effects ON?

                  I'm just wondering if Catalyst or KWin programmers had invented some workaround to waiting for DRI2 (at least for fullscreen mode...)?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by mityukov View Post
                    Is wine works in Window or Fullscreen? What about Video playback (via Xv; in window and in fullscreen) with KWing effects ON?

                    I'm just wondering if Catalyst or KWin programmers had invented some workaround to waiting for DRI2 (at least for fullscreen mode...)?
                    Video flicker for sure, but wine works both windowed and fullscreen. Something weird...

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Ive got a same problem. I play (or want to play: Mount & Blade, Civ IV and Medieval 2. M&B works fine always (but crashes randomly), Medieval 2 never works (unhandled page fault ...) and civilization iv sometimes work (after new .wine installation - i do installation in same way - sometimes civilization iv works after it, and sometimes i got same error - unhandled page fault when tring to run it).

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        wtf i'm still subscribed to this thread?

                        I bought an NVidia card over a year ago and haven't looked back. I feel sorry for anyone that still uses ATI hardware in linux.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by Dinth View Post
                          Ive got a same problem. I play (or want to play: Mount & Blade, Civ IV and Medieval 2. M&B works fine always (but crashes randomly), Medieval 2 never works (unhandled page fault ...) and civilization iv sometimes work (after new .wine installation - i do installation in same way - sometimes civilization iv works after it, and sometimes i got same error - unhandled page fault when tring to run it).
                          Have you filed bugs in winehq? Out of those games, only M & B uses the video card. For the rest, it makes no difference what video card you are using.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by surfer View Post
                            I bought an NVidia card over a year ago and haven't looked back. I feel sorry for anyone that still uses ATI hardware in linux.
                            I remember back in the day with nvidia, there was a period of about 8 months that I couldn't play games, no beta releases, no indication of a fix or anything. Even nowadays with my laptop things are the same.

                            Having used ATI since the announcement of the OS drivers, while things have been touch and go, they have been making steady improvements. Agreed they're not close to nvidia drivers atm but I believe they will get there one day.

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by storma View Post
                              I remember back in the day with nvidia, there was a period of about 8 months that I couldn't play games, no beta releases, no indication of a fix or anything. Even nowadays with my laptop things are the same.

                              Having used ATI since the announcement of the OS drivers, while things have been touch and go, they have been making steady improvements. Agreed they're not close to nvidia drivers atm but I believe they will get there one day.
                              well same here i havent sold my 4850x2 quadfire setup only cuz of OSS driver (not yet usable in r7xx), jajajaja 600$ to use vesa but im waiting cuz OSS driver look is taking a great path + i wanna see what 3200 cores can do with openCL/gallium.

                              note: i know fglrx exist but is completely unusable in my rig and yes i tried everything i just cant work like that for now ati git driver for 2d is awesome and winxp for games (i feel happy that i keep that 160 sata hdd around ) but still i have to admit nvidia drivers are awesome most of the time.

                              my advise drop fglrx code, really if i wasnt a geek i would instant rma my amd gpus and get an gtx 280 sli system, but i wanna support you cuz i love amd cpus and you seems to put a nice effort in OSS driver. so keep working only in OSS driver nobody that do any real work o play with linux will miss fglrx at all, even if those nasty deadlock or screen heavy corrpution is very fun sometimes especially when you havent saved all the work :**

                              about wine issues yes is fglrx fault not wine, why i say so? i have 2 game system a laptop and a desktop pc.

                              laptop toshiba x205 game serie
                              2 8800m sli
                              raid 1 disk array sata 2 disk
                              ubuntu 9.10 latest update

                              desktop
                              AMD athlon x4 620 @ 3.6 ghz with cmaster v8 cooler (yes i tried stock clock too)
                              msi 790 FX gd-70 board quad CF 16x16x
                              2 1 tb raid disk array (yes i tried with no arrays too)
                              2 4850x2 aka 4 4850 gpus @ 685/1xxx
                              1200 cmaster PSU
                              ubutu karmic 9.10 latest update

                              wine game lineage2, left 4 dead
                              i installed everything from scrath in my laptop and then copyed and md5 confirmed copy to the desktop. aka exactly same soft as laptop.

                              * laptop with latest nvidia 190.36 driver
                              -super fast(almost same windows xp perfomance)
                              -stable all the time
                              -0% glitch or any corruption

                              * desktop with latest fglrx 9.10 (i tried those before too up to 9.4)
                              -even after googling fixes for hours is slow as a cow.
                              -crossfire well the check widget is there but beside the mind blowing deadlocks nothing else happens
                              -not stable at all (any wine app generate in time some nasty segfaults all around)
                              -when i got it to work is heavily corrupted, can be reduced with ingame workaround but still sux

                              obviously in win xp all work fine not excelent but fine and yes i tried with 1 4850x2 just in case and yes some freind with a 4890 tried too and the same

                              so yes, you have to wait for OSS driver or fglrx to someday take a look of it, is not wine fault cuz in nvidia and intel works fine, try yourself and youll see

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                                so yes, you have to wait for OSS driver or fglrx to someday take a look of it, is not wine fault cuz in nvidia and intel works fine, try yourself and youll see
                                I've heard Intel users having plenty of issues with Wine too. *shrug*

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X