Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

black border

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    black areas are gone (at least with driver version 8.5)

    Originally posted by mtippett View Post
    We asked some questions internally, it looks like a default setting for HDMI was changed in the common code. This has triggered a number of monitors to underscan.

    Note that this does not happen on all HDTV monitors, some actually need this setting to have a normal near-pixel perfect screen.

    To override this setting try setting this value and restarting X.

    aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

    To enable this functionality through the configuration tools it will not come for a number of releases, since this setting is quite deep under the covers and there are other issues that will need to be resolved to fix this fully.

    Please advise if this resolves this issue.
    For me this command seemed to do the trick and black areas are now gone. I am using 8.5 release.

    BTW. How does tmds2i and tmds2 differ? Hopefully nothing about interlacing.

    Comment


    • #42
      I had to ask Matthew the same question yesterday.

      The "i" stands for internal, ie on-chip. Some of our older chips only offered a single tmds encoder, so by convention tmds1 was internal and tmds2 was external. When we added a second on-chip encoder it became "tmds2i", presumably since we could still support an external encoder as well.

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by Peruna View Post
        For me this command seemed to do the trick and black areas are now gone. I am using 8.5 release.

        BTW. How does tmds2i and tmds2 differ? Hopefully nothing about interlacing.
        They are just names that are used to refer to connectors. The hardware can be configured in many funky ways, and so the "i" in this case means second internal tmds transmitter. The naming is really a layover from *many* years of incremental changes that blurs the meaning. We could call them "ralph","sarah" and "john" and it would carry about the same meaning.

        Regards,

        Matthew

        Comment


        • #44
          thanks

          Thank you for both of you. With that black border problem I somehow started to think that I have only 1080i and started to think that tmds2i has something to do with that.

          Glad to know that there is no such a problem.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by mtippett View Post
            We asked some questions internally, it looks like a default setting for HDMI was changed in the common code. This has triggered a number of monitors to underscan.

            Note that this does not happen on all HDTV monitors, some actually need this setting to have a normal near-pixel perfect screen.

            To override this setting try setting this value and restarting X.

            aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0

            To enable this functionality through the configuration tools it will not come for a number of releases, since this setting is quite deep under the covers and there are other issues that will need to be resolved to fix this fully.

            Please advise if this resolves this issue.
            This fixes my problem with this, however I have to set my resolution in xorg.conf. The driver sets the resolution to 1920*1080 and the monitors native resolution is 1680*1050.

            Comment


            • #46
              It would be interesting to look in your x log and see what the display is telling the driver. I suspect the display may be advertising a preferred mode of 1920x1080 despite having a lower native resolution.

              This seems like something which should be switchable via the display's internal controls, ie an option which either says "I'm a TV" or "I'm a monitor" when the driver interrogates for EDID data. I don't think it is switchable but it should be

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by egon2003 View Post
                This fixes my problem with this, however I have to set my resolution in xorg.conf. The driver sets the resolution to 1920*1080 and the monitors native resolution is 1680*1050.
                I have seen some monitors EDID offer 1080p resolutions to most likely allow DVD players and HD/BD players upscale to 1080p, and then the TV has an optimized downscale to 1680 (or 1366x768).

                If you can post the information between the two rows of ------- in your Xorg.0.log starting at the line that says "EDID data". That will tell you what your display is telling the driver.

                Regards,

                Matthew

                Comment


                • #48
                  black border comes back

                  Hi

                  So I have used this command

                  Code:
                  aticonfig --set-pcs-val=MCIL,DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan,0
                  But in 1920x1080 (TV is Samsung HDTV that can do 1080p) the X actually goes beyound the display and then I have to set the screen using following commands:

                  Code:
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionX:59
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,positionY:32
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeX:1860
                  aticonfig --set-dispattrib=tmds2i,sizeY:1010
                  I am pretty sure that the TV can do 1080p as PS3 plays blue ray with no problems. Just wanna mention that everything is connected through HDMI.

                  Is there a tool that can show what exactly is going on there ?

                  Best,
                  Marcin

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Ahh, the heartbreak of overscan.

                    No worries, this is pretty common (and it's why we default to underscan). Your TV is set up to display a slightly zoomed image -- you just need to poke around in the TV menus for a while. If you find an option like "overscan" turn it off; if you find an option like "full screen" or "all pixels" turn it on. You will find one or the other, probably not both.

                    Then you can use aticonfig to set the position and size back to 0,0,1920,1080

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Hurray ! It's working now. Thx for the help!

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X