If this is your first visit, be sure to
check out the FAQ by clicking the
link above. You may have to register
before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages,
select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
My thoughts too. Looks like I'm sticking to 8.4 for a while. *sigh*. I was looking forward to this update, too - wine keeps failing with literally every directx app I care to try (it didn't with my old nvidia card), and I was hoping a driver update would fix it.
This is what I get for rampant fanboyism, I guess . I only bought ATI because they'd been bought by AMD, and they were doing the open-source thing. If I'd thought on it more, I'd have stuck to nvidia for a year or two more.
If you have examples of DX apps which work with wine on another card but not with our current driver can you let us know ?
Sure. The main example is the game "audiosurf". Other ones that don't work are NWN2 (not tested with the old nvidia card), the DXDiag 3D acceleration test(!) (with all the native DirectX9 stuff installed).
Here's what audiosurf says (with 8.4 drivers):
fixme:d3d:test_pbo_functionality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from Loading the PBO test texture
@ ../../../dlls/wined3d/directx.c / 3462
fixme:d3d:IWineD3DDeviceImpl_CreateQuery (0x13e910) Unhandled query type 4
wine: Unhandled page fault on execute access to 0x7c044b28 at address 0x7c044b28 (thread 000b), starting debugger...
I have a 10GB full-debug-run-log of what happens to NWN2... it's not exactly fascinating, mind.
Oh, and while I'm on the subject, fgl_glxgears -fbo hardlocks the computer (again, 8.4).
1- VLC still crashes with OpenGL output, throws this message:
 main private error: option glx-shm does not exist
libGL error: drmGetMagic failed
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
Serial number of failed request: 58
Current serial number in output stream: 58
2- Scrambling video output bug with VideoOverlay option turned on in xorg.conf and XVideo output was partially resolved. Now it only happens rarely in fullscreen, but in windowed video playback, it is still seen.
Okay, so first things first:
1. I also couldnt start any 3d apps with 8.4 under wine, I always got errors like
libGL error: drmMap of framebuffer failed (Not enough memory)
libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
This happens e.g. for warcraft 3, counterstrike, icy tower and also occurs for normal apps (though DX apps get it twice I think)
i have tried this driver 8.493 again without watermark (with the howto sed -i ...) and there is a white screen with compiz fusion on my ubuntu hardy 32 Bit.
The white screen means that you dont have any 3d acceleration. It also occurs for me.
3. wtf... I just noticed my watermark is gone though I didnt upgrade the driver nor do anything else... this driver confuses me
4. Apart from that, I didnt yet notice any 2ed accel improvements, maybe because 3D is broken, too (using a V530)
5. One positive side though:
The following section provides a brief description of known issues associated with the latest version of ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite. These issues include:
* Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-29578
* Bandwidth corruption may be noticed when setting the desktop resolution to 2048x1536 on systems containing an ATI Radeon HD 3200 series of product. Further details can be found in topic number 737-33499
* SECAM, NTSC or PAL signal changes when using aticonfig or Catalyst Control Center but does not apply to the TV display output. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34297
* Running X server without a window manager may result in the X server flashing green for a moment, going black, and the computer becoming unresponsive. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34299
* Desktop corruption may be noticed when dragging the overlay/video when using dual-display mode. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34298
* Connecting a CRT display device to a system containing an ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 product may result in the display device flashing multiple times or failing to display an image when attempting to launch the Catalyst Control Center. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34300
* Corruption may be noticed when connecting a DFP display device to a system running X after setting the TV mode to 1080i. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34301
* Quake 3 Arena (demo): Segmentation faults may occur when attempting to play the game. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34302
* Specviewperf: Launching the application may result in the Linux operating system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34282
* Opening a terminal and running semi-automated DPPT tests via lnxtest.sh may result in the operating system failing to respond. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34283
* A segmentation fault may occur when running SPECViewperf on systems containing an ATI FireGL V5100 series product and running SUSE 10.3 x86. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34319
* FGL_GLXGEARS or GLXGEARS: X may fail to respond when launching either of the applications. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34316
* Maya 2008: Various comparison failures may be noticed. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34277
* The X Server may fail to reset clearly when AIGLX is enabled. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34317
* DiscoveryStudio1.7: The print preview and save as functions may fail to work properly. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34278
* SPEC Viewperf 8.1: A performance drop may be noticed when running the application under Linux. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34279
* Maya2008: The hardware render buffer may fail to render/display the image. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34280
* May2008: The hardware render Perl script may display an error message when rendering. Further details can be found in topic number 737-34281
You see? For the first time (IIRC) they say something about real-world examples for whats not working yet. Now, thats an improvement in my eyes
Sorry for any typos, Im using a non-native keylayout at the moment
EDIT: Seems like I have to fizzle a bit more with this new driver, my kernel still loads the old module from 8.4....
EDIT2: Cant create a fedora8 package neither, same error as quintesse.
I have tried with FC 8 x86_64 with vanilla kernel 188.8.131.52 on Thinkpad R60 (ati x1400). I have tried with various option but, with kde3 and qt3, the fonts are corrupted (if I use antialiased font). With this "new" driver I have some "rendom hole" in all kde3 and qt3 apps.
This problem occurs since the first 8.x driver series. If I remove (only) fglrx module from the kernel the problem goes away!
Okaz I was able to create a Fedora package by Suspending the terminal with CTRL+S and then hacking the file fglrx-install.xxxxxx/packages/Fedora/ATI-fglrx.spec-tmpl:
1. line 287: insert the line /usr/X11R6/lib/libatiadlxx.so right after @X11_MODULE_DIR@/glesx.so
2. Remove line 323 (- Add compat-libstdc++ as a required dependency)
and resume the install with CTRL+Q.
You have to do the suspending at about
Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-.493..................... .................................................. ..................
(i.e. about 1 thirdth of the dots completed )
EDIT: the rpm package doesnt seem to recognise that I have compat-libstdc++ installed, so one may also want to remove line 28 (Requires: compat-libstdc++)
Every month I get all excited thinking, "maybe this will be the one where I never ever have to reboot to Windows ever again just to watch video!!" They were so close with 8.3 but the jerkiness and weird semi-tearing gave me headaches (especially on a projector). So close, but so far... And 8.4 was just a slap in the face.
I'd also like it to run under 2.6.25 but I'll settle for 2.6.24 if it works.
If you set vsync on (quality in amdcccle) and use something like
mplayer -vo gl:yuv=4:lscale=1
you shouldn't see any tearing - maybe it depends on the card, but I don't on an X1600pro.
You can try different yuv/lscale options to suit your cards capabilities and scale type preference, see the manual.