Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HD 3850 temperature (?) problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • HD 3850 temperature (?) problems

    Hello,

    stress-testing the new Nexuiz release on my rig makes my system with a HD 3850 have nice X freezes (or black screens) on Ubuntu 8.04 x86-64.

    Booting into windows I noticed I can easily push the gfx card to 92C without the gfx card fan speeding up audibly (and without crashing). On Linux I once got it to sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner, so I guess the card may get even hotter with fglrx.

    Dumb question: Is there a tool for Linux to read the gfx card temperature? It may be the temperature, it may be some unrelated fglrx-specific thing, but without sensors I just can't tell. I find it rather disappointing that the catalyst control center doesn't offer thermal monitoring (the last card without sensors I had was a Nvidia FX5200...) - but then again there may be bigger issues.

  • #2
    No temperature sensors available for ATI cards yet. Sensor support on fglrx has been promised, so maybe in the next couple of releases we will see something.

    Comment


    • #3
      Now, that's a pity. "Next couple of releases" could be years! ;-)

      Comment


      • #4
        It _could be_ a couple of years before temp reporting is included, but new driver releases have been pretty regularly forthcoming at roughly one a month. Most cases you could print the changelog on a matchbook, but they've been releasing new versions as promised.

        Comment


        • #5
          I've disassembled parts of aticonfig a while back and found some hidden options.
          Some of them were temperature related. Most things didn't work here but my card is pretty old. It's also possible that some things have changed in the meantime

          http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=18

          Comment


          • #6
            i just tried

            aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"

            on my 2600pro, and i seems to work. 28 when idling, 37 with glxgears. all while compiz is running.
            so it seems, that it shouldnt be a neckbreaking task to implement this into amdccc.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ig-88 View Post
              aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"
              Oh, that's something I shall try once home. Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ig-88 View Post
                i just tried

                aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"

                on my 2600pro, and i seems to work. 28 when idling, 37 with glxgears. all while compiz is running.
                cool .. so it actually works. I'm just getting an error back.

                Originally posted by ig-88 View Post
                so it seems, that it shouldnt be a neckbreaking task to implement this into amdccc.
                I wouldn't bother amd with that ..neither with queries about that pplib stuff, they probably have their own plans. The functionality is already there at least.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yeah, the pplib functions work great on supported cards (which as far as I can tell is the HD series). There's all sorts of info to be had from the various options.
                  Last edited by uncle_fungus; 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It seems to work on my HD2900XT as well.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
                      I wouldn't bother amd with that ..neither with queries about that pplib stuff, they probably have their own plans. The functionality is already there at least.
                      i didn't intend to bother amd with this (knowing the uselessness of doing so). i merely wanted to state that work in this sector has been done. ;-)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by SavageX View Post
                        Hello,

                        stress-testing the new Nexuiz release on my rig makes my system with a HD 3850 have nice X freezes (or black screens) on Ubuntu 8.04 x86-64.

                        Booting into windows I noticed I can easily push the gfx card to 92C without the gfx card fan speeding up audibly (and without crashing). On Linux I once got it to sound a bit like a vacuum cleaner, so I guess the card may get even hotter with fglrx.

                        Dumb question: Is there a tool for Linux to read the gfx card temperature? It may be the temperature, it may be some unrelated fglrx-specific thing, but without sensors I just can't tell. I find it rather disappointing that the catalyst control center doesn't offer thermal monitoring (the last card without sensors I had was a Nvidia FX5200...) - but then again there may be bigger issues.
                        if you are using BBA (built by Ati) then you may be suffering from a faulty bios. I had the same problem I just had to flash to a newer bios. Which card do you have?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ashrack View Post
                          if you are using BBA (built by Ati) then you may be suffering from a faulty bios. I had the same problem I just had to flash to a newer bios. Which card do you have?
                          This one: http://www.powercolor.com/de/product...ProductID=2066

                          This may actually be a rebranded BBA thingie, no idea.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Tried

                            aticonfig --pplib-cmd "get temperature 0"

                            and it seems to produce meaningful readings. Cool.

                            As a mostly unrelated note: I purchased a tool to measure power consumption and on Windows this machine idles at ~68 Watt, with Linux ~74 Watt (all components included). Not bad for an Athlon 64 X2 5200+, HD 3850 and 4 Gig of RAM, I guess. Apparently power saving mechanisms on Windows are better tuned, but I of course can't pin it down to e.g. the graphics driver.

                            With several glxgears instances this machine will happily consume ~167 Watt.

                            edit: I was as of yet unable to push temperature beyond 90C.
                            Last edited by SavageX; 05-13-2008, 01:36 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by SavageX View Post
                              This one: http://www.powercolor.com/de/product...ProductID=2066

                              This may actually be a rebranded BBA thingie, no idea.
                              go DL rivatuner in Windows and burn the GPU using 3dmark and watch if the FAN will increase when the temperature increases. If you are hitting 90C and the FAN is not running 100% then you have a bios issue.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X