Can't create //usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/fglrx_dri.so: File exists

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Did you run sax2 before or after aticonfig --initial ?

My guess is that you don't need sax2 if you run aticonfig --initial (and you *should* run aticonfig --initial)
    I always run "aticonfig --initial" before trying to ran sax2.

Also without running sax2 after "aticonfig --initial", i have the same result. Black screen and the system freezes.

Comment

I have the exact same behavior (blank screen and system freeze) on a fresh installed Linux Mint 7 x86_64.

It seems that something is broken in the fglrx driver regarding HD4670 hardware.

Comment

It's more likely to be specific to the distro or system than the hardware, FWIW.

Comment

What is your hardware anyway?

For distribution, maybe consider: ubuntu, fedora, slackware. Seem to be more users of these.

What is sax2 anyway?

Bridgman: I never knowingly run aticonfig --initial. Maybe the catalyst autoinstaller runs it? After I install new catalyst, I review xorg.conf, see nothing new, and copy my old one back over. Why should this be run?

Bridgman: does his post #10 give any clue?

Comment

Sax2 is a utility for configuring and managing graphics subsystems.

http://en.opensuse.org/SaX2

I don't know exactly what aticonfig --initial does but it seems to be the only "absolute must do" stop in our installation instructions, and whenver I talk to our devs one of the first questions they ask is "did they run aticonfig properly ?".

Post 10 goes to a level of detail I don't really know with fglrx; probably should get it into a bugzilla ticket so the devs can see it.
            Last edited by bridgman; 06-25-2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X