Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • but why i still get the issue of the 8.1: the one that blocks Xorg and puts the cpu at 100% when killing X !?
    wasn't it fixed in 8.2!?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Thiago, the issue here is that you are using the overlay under a compositing manager. Here's what happens :

      1. Video driver paints a rectangle in the video window in a solid "key" colour (eg. magenta).

      2. Display circuitry switches to use the image stored in the overlay area whenever it sees the key colour. Video driver displays video in the overlay area.

      3. Compositing manager writes over your nice key colour rectangle with desktop background, killing your video image.

      4. When you move the window, the key colour rectangle is redrawn, so video reappears briefly until the compositing manager wipes it out again.

      There are different ways to stop the compositing manager from stomping your video window. One is to switch away from KDE/Compiz when playing video by wrapping the player app in a short script, another is to play full screen and tell KDE/Compiz to stop doing its compositing thing when you have a full screen app.

      The real solution is to use the Textured Video option since that *can* work with a compositing manager, but I don't think the TexturedVideo option works with tvtime right now. We support one set of video formats, tvtime supports another set of video formats, and there seems to be no common ground today.

      Compiz has a video plug-in which AFAIK uses OpenGL to display video under the compositor, but I think it needs a player patch (at least it does for mplayer).
      Thanks a lot for the explanation. I always wondered why that happened. I tried using TexturedVideo but, as you said, tvtime doesn't seem to support it. Kaffeine (xv) works, but flickers a bit.

      I often use tvtime in a window (as opposed to full screen), so the best solution for me would be wrapping the player app in a script that turns the effects off. Is there a tutorial/guide that explains how to do that?

      Just one more thing I'm curious about. Some time ago, I used to have Compiz Fusion running under XGL, using an older version of fglrx. XGL was not perfect either, but I remember having tvtime working with effects enabled. How did that happen? What's the difference between the two approaches?

      Thanks once again,
      Tiago

      Comment


      • Crud I always have issues getting these drivers running. Currently this is my error;
        Code:
        (II) LoadModule: "glx"
        (WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
        (II) UnloadModule: "glx"
        (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
        and
        Code:
        [root@rhpltp ~]# fgl_glxgears
        Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
        Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        Error: couldn't get an RGBA, Double-buffered visual
        Segmentation fault (core dumped)
        [root@rhpltp ~]#  fglrxinfo
        Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
        Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual!
        
        Segmentation fault (core dumped)
        [root@rhpltp ~]# locate libGL.
        /usr/lib/libGL.so
        /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
        /usr/lib/ati/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2.8.452.1
        /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so
        /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so.1
        /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so.1.2
        /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so.1.2.8.452.1
        /usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1
        /usr/lib/xorg/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2
        /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so
        /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1
        /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1.2
        Any thoughts or suggestions?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Vighy View Post
          but why i still get the issue of the 8.1: the one that blocks Xorg and puts the cpu at 100% when killing X !?
          wasn't it fixed in 8.2!?
          maybe this can help you :
          http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=126

          Comment


          • Originally posted by pchev View Post
            great! but it was solved (exactly this way) using the official ebuild from gentoo.

            thank's the same :-)

            Comment


            • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Thiago, the issue here is that you are using the overlay under a compositing manager. Here's what happens :

              1. Video driver paints a rectangle in the video window in a solid "key" colour (eg. magenta).

              2. Display circuitry switches to use the image stored in the overlay area whenever it sees the key colour. Video driver displays video in the overlay area.

              3. Compositing manager writes over your nice key colour rectangle with desktop background, killing your video image.

              4. When you move the window, the key colour rectangle is redrawn, so video reappears briefly until the compositing manager wipes it out again.

              There are different ways to stop the compositing manager from stomping your video window. One is to switch away from KDE/Compiz when playing video by wrapping the player app in a short script, another is to play full screen and tell KDE/Compiz to stop doing its compositing thing when you have a full screen app.

              The real solution is to use the Textured Video option since that *can* work with a compositing manager, but I don't think the TexturedVideo option works with tvtime right now. We support one set of video formats, tvtime supports another set of video formats, and there seems to be no common ground today.

              Compiz has a video plug-in which AFAIK uses OpenGL to display video under the compositor, but I think it needs a player patch (at least it does for mplayer).
              I've got exactly the same thing with overlay output of video from kdetv (even without compiz).
              When kdetv starts I get black screen - helps for that only resolution change. Then the video is displayed without problems to the time when I move/resize some windows (kdetv or others) - the overlay video flashes (looks like video window is redrawn all the time) and sometimes goes black, too. It flashes more when some window is on top of the overlay video (kdetv) or even animated mouse cursor on top of overlay window (for example when running an other application). When I move overlay window the overlay video is moving after the window (not accurate in window).
              It doesn't happen without overlay or with opensource radeon driver.

              Edit:
              Yesterday I've noticed that xrandr setting modes stopped working for me - everything looks ok from the xrandr command line (even verbose is saying that it's setting mode) but video resolution doesn't change. I've used it in bash script with kdetv to get rid of this black screen when running kdetv without need to use ctrl + alt + "+"/"-". This key combination works fine with resolution change and before yesterday/maybe day before xrandr worked fine.
              Last edited by xeros; 03-14-2008, 05:31 PM.

              Comment


              • After Installing this new driver with compiz and after the log in I get a white screen with the mouse cursor!
                I'm using Gusty!
                anyone know how to fix this?

                Comment


                • this driver is working fine (a little slow but fine).....

                  i though i will never say this... keep working _ATI_, you are in the right path

                  Comment


                  • it was a faik: it still hangs when trying to log off... i may write it in the bugzilla...

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Neo4 View Post
                      After Installing this new driver with compiz and after the log in I get a white screen with the mouse cursor!
                      I'm using Gusty!
                      anyone know how to fix this?
                      No one would help me?!

                      this only happens with compiz on!
                      my graphic is an x700 mobile

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X