Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.3 Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by linzerd View Post
    no... we must build it... the documentation fot fglrx available is clearly outdated... maybe brigdman and the amd developers team could help us...
    I'd more than love this given the absolutely terrible time I'm having with ATI's own ticket system and their owe so typical boiler plate responses.

    Drivers provided "as is" -Go here and fill out another yet another form.

    WTF Mate!? Shouldn't you be forwarding that on to your Linux support unit!? How's that for customer experience?

    Old docs make reference to FGLRX settings and thats it. 2 year old posts from the wine group reference them here and there, but there isn't squat for documentation.

    Meanwhile all I'm looking for is HOWTO enable PBUFFER support for the in game minimap in WOW properly so that it doesn't turn white when I take my avatar indoors.

    Comment


    • ok, i just tried the latest 8.3 driver, one thing and i will use it, i need xvideo to work for video, but it just gives a blue screen. compiz fusion works great. but since xvideo doesnt, im back to 8.40.4

      Comment


      • Well Resonance378, you have a point.. We must push changes from the community to improve and push AMD developers to build the documentation and to fix things the driver still lacks... I believe it is the only way to do it... AMD guys are doing the best they can, and community involvement reporting bugs and asking for docs has been of importance in resolving some annoying bugs (like the crappy XVideo issue, not perfect yet, but addressed at least)...
        The important thing is that the will of improving things is present, so i give my trust to AMD developers, that in next releases they'll release documentation for the driver... And remember that most times developers aren't connected with support unities directly, really a shame... company policies really should change...
        Last edited by linzerd; 03-12-2008, 06:41 PM.

        Comment


        • i sadly find myself re-installing SuSE 10.3 honestly, ati has big issues, this will take many hours of my time as i rebuild my system, I allready spend many many hours trying to fix ati myself, but no matter what i did, it would get to starting X and get to a white screen and hard lockup, i went to init 3, same deal (in 8.40.4) seems 8.3 does not clean up after its self well (used fglrx-uninstall)

          Comment


          • Is anyone able to use XVideo with KDE effects enabled (or Compiz Fusion)? Tvtime works fine when the effects are off, but the screen gets blank as soon as I enable them. I found interesting that the image shows up when I move the window, even with effects enabled. I have an ATI Radeon X550 and I'm using AMD Catalyst 8.3 under Kubuntu Linux (KDE 4.0.2). My xorg.conf is the following:

            Code:
            Section "Files"
            EndSection
            
            Section "InputDevice"
            	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
            	Driver		"kbd"
            	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
            	Option		"XkbRules"	"xorg"
            	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc105"
            	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
            	Option		"XkbVariant"	"intl"
            	Option		"XkbOptions"	"lv3:ralt_switch"
            EndSection
            
            Section "InputDevice"
            	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
            	Driver		"mouse"
            	Option		"CorePointer"
            	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/mice"
            	Option		"Protocol"	"ImPS/2"
            	Option		"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
            	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
            EndSection
            
            Section "InputDevice"
            	Driver		"wacom"
            	Identifier	"stylus"
            	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
            	Option		"Type"	"stylus"
            	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
            EndSection
            
            Section "InputDevice"
            	Driver		"wacom"
            	Identifier	"eraser"
            	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
            	Option		"Type"	"eraser"
            	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
            EndSection
            
            Section "InputDevice"
            	Driver		"wacom"
            	Identifier	"cursor"
            	Option		"Device"	"/dev/input/wacom"
            	Option		"Type"	"cursor"
            	Option		"ForceDevice"	"ISDV4"# Tablet PC ONLY
            EndSection
            
            Section "Device"
            	Identifier	"ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Sapphire X550 Silent]"
            	Driver		"fglrx"
            	Option		"XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "on"
            	Option		"VideoOverlay" "on"
            	Option		"OpenGLOverlay" "off"
            	Busid		"PCI:1:0:0"
            EndSection
            
            Section "Monitor"
            	Identifier	"LP717"
            	Option		"DPMS"
            EndSection
            
            Section "Screen"
            	Identifier	"Default Screen"
            	Device		"ATI Technologies Inc RV370 [Sapphire X550 Silent]"
            	Monitor		"LP717"
            	Defaultdepth	24
            	SubSection "Display"
            		Modes		"1280x1024"	"1024x768"	"832x624"	"800x600"	"720x400"	"640x480"
            	EndSubSection
            EndSection
            
            Section "ServerLayout"
            	Identifier	"Default Layout"
              screen "Default Screen"
            	Inputdevice	"Generic Keyboard"
            	Inputdevice	"Configured Mouse"
            	
            	# Uncomment if you have a wacom tablet
            	#	InputDevice     "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
            	#	InputDevice     "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
            	#	InputDevice     "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
            EndSection
            
            Section "Module"
            	Load		"glx"
            EndSection
            
            Section "Extensions"
            	Option	"Composite"	"on"
            	Option	"XVideo" 	"on"
            EndSection
            Thanks,
            Tiago

            Comment


            • Here's my fglrx report (X1400).

              Running with:
              TexturedVideo "on"
              TexturedVideoSync "on"
              VideoOverlay "off"
              OpenGLOverlay "off"


              Xv is much, much better. The diagonal tearing is gone. That said, there is still some minor tearing, but it's only visible in very high motion scenes. Video is now watchable on my laptop, so my biggest complaint with fglrx has now been taking care of. Awesome.


              Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
              By the way, has anyone tried to run Warcraft 3 under Wine using 8.3?
              The graphics are quite broken for me, I hope this will get fixed in future fglrx versions... (though it could also be a wine regression, I am using 0.9.57)
              Try adding -opengl to the command line.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by tiagobt View Post
                Is anyone able to use XVideo with KDE effects enabled (or Compiz Fusion)? Tvtime works fine when the effects are off, but the screen gets blank as soon as I enable them. I found interesting that the image shows up when I move the window, even with effects enabled. I have an ATI Radeon X550 and I'm using AMD Catalyst 8.3 under Kubuntu Linux (KDE 4.0.2).
                Thiago, the issue here is that you are using the overlay under a compositing manager. Here's what happens :

                1. Video driver paints a rectangle in the video window in a solid "key" colour (eg. magenta).

                2. Display circuitry switches to use the image stored in the overlay area whenever it sees the key colour. Video driver displays video in the overlay area.

                3. Compositing manager writes over your nice key colour rectangle with desktop background, killing your video image.

                4. When you move the window, the key colour rectangle is redrawn, so video reappears briefly until the compositing manager wipes it out again.

                There are different ways to stop the compositing manager from stomping your video window. One is to switch away from KDE/Compiz when playing video by wrapping the player app in a short script, another is to play full screen and tell KDE/Compiz to stop doing its compositing thing when you have a full screen app.

                The real solution is to use the Textured Video option since that *can* work with a compositing manager, but I don't think the TexturedVideo option works with tvtime right now. We support one set of video formats, tvtime supports another set of video formats, and there seems to be no common ground today.

                Compiz has a video plug-in which AFAIK uses OpenGL to display video under the compositor, but I think it needs a player patch (at least it does for mplayer).
                Last edited by bridgman; 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM.

                Comment


                • Hi,

                  got a crash with ati drivers and 3870

                  (as described here)

                  Need help please ... ;(

                  Comment


                  • XGL + compiz fusion

                    It seems that XGL + Compiz fusion with ati driver 8.40.4 no longer works, XGL support is droped in compiz ???

                    Comment


                    • - black screen with modelines (it was only a joke in the release notes that these would work some time ago, a bad one however)
                      They probably had their calendar ahead a month or so and thought it was april fools.

                      Comment


                      • but why i still get the issue of the 8.1: the one that blocks Xorg and puts the cpu at 100% when killing X !?
                        wasn't it fixed in 8.2!?

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                          Thiago, the issue here is that you are using the overlay under a compositing manager. Here's what happens :

                          1. Video driver paints a rectangle in the video window in a solid "key" colour (eg. magenta).

                          2. Display circuitry switches to use the image stored in the overlay area whenever it sees the key colour. Video driver displays video in the overlay area.

                          3. Compositing manager writes over your nice key colour rectangle with desktop background, killing your video image.

                          4. When you move the window, the key colour rectangle is redrawn, so video reappears briefly until the compositing manager wipes it out again.

                          There are different ways to stop the compositing manager from stomping your video window. One is to switch away from KDE/Compiz when playing video by wrapping the player app in a short script, another is to play full screen and tell KDE/Compiz to stop doing its compositing thing when you have a full screen app.

                          The real solution is to use the Textured Video option since that *can* work with a compositing manager, but I don't think the TexturedVideo option works with tvtime right now. We support one set of video formats, tvtime supports another set of video formats, and there seems to be no common ground today.

                          Compiz has a video plug-in which AFAIK uses OpenGL to display video under the compositor, but I think it needs a player patch (at least it does for mplayer).
                          Thanks a lot for the explanation. I always wondered why that happened. I tried using TexturedVideo but, as you said, tvtime doesn't seem to support it. Kaffeine (xv) works, but flickers a bit.

                          I often use tvtime in a window (as opposed to full screen), so the best solution for me would be wrapping the player app in a script that turns the effects off. Is there a tutorial/guide that explains how to do that?

                          Just one more thing I'm curious about. Some time ago, I used to have Compiz Fusion running under XGL, using an older version of fglrx. XGL was not perfect either, but I remember having tvtime working with effects enabled. How did that happen? What's the difference between the two approaches?

                          Thanks once again,
                          Tiago

                          Comment


                          • Crud I always have issues getting these drivers running. Currently this is my error;
                            Code:
                            (II) LoadModule: "glx"
                            (WW) Warning, couldn't open module glx
                            (II) UnloadModule: "glx"
                            (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
                            and
                            Code:
                            [root@rhpltp ~]# fgl_glxgears
                            Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
                            Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                            Error: couldn't get an RGBA, Double-buffered visual
                            Segmentation fault (core dumped)
                            [root@rhpltp ~]#  fglrxinfo
                            Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                            Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
                            Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual!
                            
                            Segmentation fault (core dumped)
                            [root@rhpltp ~]# locate libGL.
                            /usr/lib/libGL.so
                            /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
                            /usr/lib/ati/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2.8.452.1
                            /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so
                            /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so.1
                            /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so.1.2
                            /usr/lib/ati/libGL.so.1.2.8.452.1
                            /usr/lib/mesa/libGL.so.1
                            /usr/lib/xorg/FGL.renamed.libGL.so.1.2
                            /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so
                            /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1
                            /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1.2
                            Any thoughts or suggestions?

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Vighy View Post
                              but why i still get the issue of the 8.1: the one that blocks Xorg and puts the cpu at 100% when killing X !?
                              wasn't it fixed in 8.2!?
                              maybe this can help you :
                              http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...&postcount=126

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by pchev View Post
                                great! but it was solved (exactly this way) using the official ebuild from gentoo.

                                thank's the same :-)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X