Where is the fglrx documentation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is the fglrx documentation?

Has anyone compiled a full list of fglrx options that can be used in xorg.conf, and their functions?

This guy seems to think you can get the X server to give you a full listing, but doesn't explain how: http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse/2.../msg01172.html

Other than the wiki at http://wiki.cchtml.com/, what documentation is there?

Code:
    $ aticonfig --help
    thought it doesn't help for everything, it does generate a lot of output. There could be some more documentation on modules and options for xorg.conf with fglrx, IMO, despite this telling you how to get the fglrx driver to do quite a lot with the aticongfig command.

Comment

Thanks, that is a good start!

The aticonfig options are different in many ways from the full list of what's available for configuration in xorg.conf. Does anyone have the full list of those?

Comment

http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html

Comment

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7913

Comment

Try this:

http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html

Comment

Is the data in these documents even valid anymore? They date Jan 2007.

I'm busy trying to hunt an issue with pbuffer support in World of Warcraft. The doc's are the only place I've seen mention pbuffers.

Comment

bridgman, could you help us in this one? Community needs documentation, since the last man page update dates from last year, and it's clearly outdated...

Comment

I was just wondering the same thing, so I probed fglrx_drv.so (the driver binary) (Catalyst 8.3) for options. After a little filtering, I got this list. Unfortunately, that's only options, no explanation.

(For the curious, here's the command I used:
                  Code:
                  strings /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so | grep -nE "[a-zA-Z]{3,}"
                  The options, for me, started on line 11534.)

Comment

So where are the docs?? Is "aticonfig --help" really the extent of ATI's efforts to document how one actually configures ATI hardware?? Another slap in the face from AMD/ATI.

Comment

I think they just don't want people to mess with their (proprietary) driver. The official options that are used on the final releases of their drivers are on/off by default, like TexturedVideo for certain cards, and so on. They don't want people to be using beta features and then complain that they don't work. Remember that their beta programs are closed. This isn't any different from say the Windows driver. Again, this is the proprietary, closed driver we're talking about, so I wouldn't expect anything besides the must know configuration options to be disclosed (like setting overlays and initializing the driver).
                      Last edited by Melcar; 06-19-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oblivious_maximus View Post
                        So where are the docs?? Is "aticonfig --help" really the extent of ATI's efforts to document how one actually configures ATI hardware?? Another slap in the face from AMD/ATI.
                        A "slap in the face"?? You've got to be kidding. Melodramatic much?

Comment

Originally posted by Melcar View Post
                          Again, this is the proprietary, closed driver we're talking about, so I wouldn't expect anything besides the must know configuration options to be disclosed (like setting overlays and initializing the driver).
                          that's all I'm looking for... I just want a definitive, official, current document that briefly explains what xorg.conf options for fglrx do and their proper syntax. Nvidia has an epic document detailing all that stuff for every driver release, and it's easy to find, where's the ATI equivalent?

Originally posted by Porter View Post
                          A "slap in the face"?? You've got to be kidding. Melodramatic much?
                          More like totally fed up with having to keep plugging my Nvidia card back in because fglrx is so woefully inadequate. After you've bought 2 motherboards you didn't need to, and 2 ATI cards you can't make use of(the second after having never actually gotten to use the first), then you can talk to me about justifiable melodrama. I'm supposed to be enjoying >2x AA in Doom3 or some other game right now, not getting aggravated over the fact that I'm still stuck running my junky, feature-regressed, sucking-at-turning-off-my-damn-monitor 8600GT.

Is there a single Linux user stuck running fglrx who doesn't have at least one major issue to complain about? That's totally a slap in the face. And so is the apparent total lack of current, complete configuration info. Yeah OK, maybe I am overreacting a bit, but dammit I am totally aggravated with buying hardware that amounts to a glorified paperweight because the drivers are so bad. :mad

Comment

Hmm... I don't have any major issues, and the only minor one I can think of right now is that I get corruption in certain types of icons. Totally unaffects me.

As for a big list of options, I don't know of one... You can scour the Phoronix forums if it's that important to you.

Actually, the options supplied by aticonfig look pretty exhaustive... I'm not sure what more you'd need!

Then again, you might be talking about options you can set manually in your xorg.conf. I've looked for one myself, but the one I found was way out of date.
                            Perhaps we should start one on the wiki...?

Comment

There are a few people on this thread that have caught the essence of what we are trying to do. To answer the question posed in this thread.

There is no option documentation, but there is help and some documentation for the configuration tools.

To understand our approach consider the following.
                              • We support 2 fundamental modes of operation
                                • Default configuration
                                • Options enabled through the configuration tools (aticonfig and amdcccle)
                              • We don't generally use xorg.conf for configuration of the driver. Our model is that xorg.conf is used for configuration of X, not the driver. All configuration options are held in /etc/ati/amdpcsdb. This configuration file is growing very quickly. Tools to modify this configuration file can be found in aticonfig (see Persistent Configuration Store (PCS) Options). (We have some compatibility interfaces to read shadow entries from xorg.conf, but that is really for compatibility).
                              • The default configuration should just work (with 306 individual ASICs, 3 bus formats, distributions, etc). It isn't simple, but that is what our general aim is.
                              • I have a strong conviction that people shouldn't have to go playing around with configuration files to get things working. It should just work (a lofty aim).

If you go outside the configuration tools and manually modify the configuration files, you move outside of what is supported, and consequently any defects you come across are not considered part of the driver. (For example: undocumented, experimental features like TexturedXRender are prone to breakage and hence shouldn't be used).

I know that this approach is not going to be popular with everybody, but that is our approach. There are aspects of what we are doing with amdpcsdb that will become clearer in the future as we roll out more features that require far more that xorg.conf can provide.

There are many nuances in the use of the term support. In this context, support means that there is a high likelihood that we have tested a reasonable subset of the possible configurations, and that we will in general attempt to avoid breaking those configurations in the future.

If people want to start documenting amdpcsdb options, then there may be some nuggets of features that people may be interested in using, but if aticonfig/amdcccle doesn't configure that option, then there is no guarantee that it will stay working.

Look at how aticonfig initializes an xorg.conf config file. There are no options. Users who use cut and pasted configuration options from 3 or 4 years ago may trigger unknown and unstable paths in the driver.

Regards,

Matthew

Comment

Working...
                              X