Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.02 "Another Cr*ppy Release Edition" ACRE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Ati also deserves to know the good news : it's a great release for me !

    With compiz enabled :
    - no more scrolling problems with Firefox (v3 beta3)
    - full-screen video using X11 video output module and VLC now has a decent framerate.
    - overall enhanced performance

    Comment


    • #32
      I just don't get it!

      If I rolled out software a my work (of less than 2000 employees) with bugs like this I would have been fired long ago. Don't they understand that with each shit-release they loose customers? And you can't just say that this is only affects thre Linux users because the Linux users more than likely are Technical people that install Windows Machines.

      Anyhow, I'm getting the messed up 3d graphics too (as posted earlier)

      see ya all next month

      Comment


      • #33
        wow, there are still people waiting for new fglrx.

        but it looks like it spurs less and less interest with each release.

        Comment


        • #34
          Hello,

          i also get screen corruption with glxgears.
          My system:

          ATI X1900XT PCIe on Ubuntu 7.10 AMD64
          CPU is Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
          Resolution is 1650x1080

          And would you guys at ATI please enable YUY2 overlay for Xvideo so i can watch TV?

          Comment


          • #35
            hi!! great site a theg reatest forum I've never seen about AMD/ATI

            I can confirm 8-02 works grat with x-server 1.4 on ARCHLINUX.
            Some issues... I don't know if they can be solved.. usually I used NVIDIA:

            * white desktops using expo plug-in
            * mplayer flashing video

            I'll post any other issues!
            Bye


            Originally posted by fettouhi View Post
            Can anyone confirm if 8-02 works with xserver-1.4.1git and compiz like on Hardy or Arch?

            Regards

            André

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
              wow, there are still people waiting for new fglrx.

              but it looks like it spurs less and less interest with each release.
              I wonder why...

              See you all next month.

              Comment


              • #37
                Works fine here
                Opensuse 10.3 32bit (up2date patch etc) with AMD X2 3800+HD2600XT and BenQ FP92W 19" at 1440x900

                Comment


                • #38
                  I can think of a few reasons:
                  - The quality of fglrx releases seems to be steadily improving, it is getting to the stage where I have less rendering bugs in my games than on my nVIDIA desktop. Oh, and other than the occasional cursor funky, video acceleration, and non-optimal performance I'm quite happy with the driver, it supports all the features I need for my notebook.
                  - Due to the fast pace of Radeon/RadeonHD OS-drivers, a lot of users are switching over to those instead.
                  - A lot of frustration was voiced out loud, especially in the ATi days, since no-one actually knew what was going on with the ATi Linux drivers, since AMD took over , The AMD stance on Linux is much clearer. Ther are probably much less frustration regarding ATi and Linux around.
                  - ATi has a smaller marketshare, due to (I think) fears of some Intel-induced sancions. Although it does seem as if ATi's marketshare is growing again.


                  Even some of my anti-ATi friends, have found that using the later fglrx drivers is surprisingly usable. They have sorted out the most irritating issues.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by grigi View Post
                    I can think of a few reasons:
                    - The quality of fglrx releases seems to be steadily improving, it is getting to the stage where I have less rendering bugs in my games than on my nVIDIA desktop. Oh, and other than the occasional cursor funky, video acceleration, and non-optimal performance I'm quite happy with the driver, it supports all the features I need for my notebook.
                    Serioulsy? Do you work for ATI?

                    Years ago when I have a desktop with an nVidia Geforce4 Ti4400 and tried some gaming (Enemy Territory) on Linux it just worked fine...

                    On the other hand I have an ATI Mobility X700 128MB based notebook for 2 (TWO!!) years that can't run any of the simplest features everyone uses today.
                    Even the screen saver and screen locker fading is broken. 8.01 crashed my computer if I restarted X.

                    ATI really has software development issues. Things kind of work in Windows (although I really dislike the .NET CCC) but in Linux we're in caos.

                    If you buy an Intel integrated graphics notebook you will get better support on their drivers for Linux. Things will work, slowly but will work. Oh, and AIGLX is 100x faster on Intel Integrated Graphics than on fglrx.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by symzo View Post
                      Ati also deserves to know the good news : it's a great release for me !

                      With compiz enabled :
                      - no more scrolling problems with Firefox (v3 beta3)
                      - full-screen video using X11 video output module and VLC now has a decent framerate.
                      - overall enhanced performance
                      I have to admit the same, under Ubuntu 7.10 with AIGLX enabled I've noticed that everything seems snappier. I haven't had the courage to test VLC or any other video players yet.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X