Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoronix Redblog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    That's great. I also would hope that the article covers how the graphics card architecture supposedly works with respect to the drivers. I'm sure there will be great discoveries to be had when studying every innards. Perhaps it can even help ATi fix the drivers.

    Comment


    • #12
      Hey, just wanted to say I appreciate the blog.

      One thought: Could you do some DirectX gaming tests?

      Thanks again,
      DrCR

      Comment


      • #13
        My only real "complaint" about the series is that you're using an 1800XT card. What of the experience from the laptop angle? It'd probably be a different story then... About half the performance or a little less than for a Linux user if you're talking that story. It's not a pretty picture then. Otherwise, it's an excellent series (I mean, the experience from the mid to top end is much better than the bottom end, but it's still sub-par, you just don't see it because the cards are fast enough...).

        Comment


        • #14
          Some mobile coverage will be in the blog using a Mobility Radeon X300 and Mobility Radeon X1400.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Michael
            Some mobile coverage will be in the blog using a Mobility Radeon X300 and Mobility Radeon X1400.
            That works. That'd make the picture more complete (Though I wish I had an X1400 instead of the X300... Sigh... The thing's something of a disappointment. Works decently, serviceably under Windows, but it stinks on ice for Linux... It's enough to be a blocker for doing much of my development by remote for LGP with this laptop I'm currently using...).

            Comment


            • #16
              Hey Michael,

              Been reading the redblog and I do start to feel you might want to expand your distribution tests. I do understand from your emails why Fedora is used, but there are other distributions in question as well. It would also be nice to check compatibility with the more obscure distributions as well.

              Cool blog, as always.

              Comment


              • #17
                Ohhh, the distro voting begins lol.

                I'll go ahead and put a plug in for VectorLinux though.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by niniendowarrior
                  Hey Michael,

                  Been reading the redblog and I do start to feel you might want to expand your distribution tests. I do understand from your emails why Fedora is used, but there are other distributions in question as well. It would also be nice to check compatibility with the more obscure distributions as well.

                  Cool blog, as always.
                  ATI's Linux department does allow distribution vendors to participate in their Beta program, as well as helping them out with generating packaging scripts for the fglrx drivers and their specific distribution. If there is a Linux distribution with ATI fglrx installation or usage problems contact the owner and ask them to contact ATI Technologies.

                  If the distribution developers don't have access to Radeon hardware, tell them to contact me and I would generally be glad to try out their scripts for them, etc...

                  ~ Michael
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    While there are a few days left, what are you all most wanting in the fglrx Linux drivers when it comes to features that it currently doesn't have?
                    Michael Larabel
                    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by Michael
                      While there are a few days left, what are you all most wanting in the fglrx Linux drivers when it comes to features that it currently doesn't have?
                      No one. Stability and performance problem - not good support for normal and quality work. Well, after 3 years with ATI (on MS systems) I'm buy NVidia 6600GT card for my PC. Maybe previous x1600 PRO slightly faster in new games with shaders, but this not interest for me. On NV i have more faster 2D and 3D graphics in Linux (compiz working very nice in KDE), no stupid console bugs, and working TV-out. Goodbye ATI.

                      Sorry for offtopic.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X