System lockup with catalyst 8.01

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System lockup with catalyst 8.01

My system gets frozen whenever I try to log out from gnome, restart, shutdown, etc., even when I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X. Switching to console works, but I can't issue a gdm restart in console either. Seems like the driver is refusing to reinitialize itself.

Anyone has experienced this?

Originally posted by jasonxh View Post
    My system gets frozen whenever I try to log out from gnome, restart, shutdown, etc., even when I press Ctrl+Alt+Backspace to restart X. Switching to console works, but I can't issue a gdm restart in console either. Seems like the driver is refusing to reinitialize itself.

Anyone has experienced this?
    BTW, I'm on Ubuntu feisty, with custom kernel 2.6.23.13 and Xorg 7.2.

Comment

There are a couple of reports of this on the 8.01 thread. For some people, disabling the overlay options seems to make a difference :

Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
      Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
      Which graphics card are you using ?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        There are a couple of reports of this on the 8.01 thread. For some people, disabling the overlay options seems to make a difference :

Which graphics card are you using ?
        Thanks for the hint. I'll try meddling with the overlay options tonight. I'm using mobility X1300, on a thinkpad T60.

Comment

bridgman, it doesn't solve my problem at all. Still freezes my system. What a joke is ATI making at its customers!

What is this NEW code base driver truly for? With this laggy 2d and bugs after bugs and absolutely nothing to do with the word "stable", who's gonna enjoy the "increased" 3d fps???

Comment

Hi jason;

Sorry this didn't work. I'll see if we have been able to reproduce the problem in house yet.

The challenge here is that a lot of the worst issues don't show up on any of our in house systems or even in the beta test program, so without driving to your house, finding a clue on the forum threads, or getting a lot of info via Bugzilla we don't have a way to reproduce and fix the bug OR to stop it from happening in the future.

I'm not sure if there is a Bugzilla ticket open for this one, but if not please file one and include hw info, logs & conf. That can really help our chances of configuring a system close enough to yours that we can see the problem and fix it.

We'll go through this more in the Q&A, but the "new code base" is the 3d part and the low level, ASIC-specific bits of the X ("2d") driver. The rest of the X driver is *not* new code, but the dev team is now able to spend a lot more time on the "old code" so we do seem to be picking off more issues every month.
            Last edited by bridgman; 01-19-2008, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Bugzilla issues

I'm not sure if there is a Bugzilla ticket open for this one, but if not please file one and include hw info, logs & conf.
              I suppose you are talking about http://ati.cchtml.com/ , right?

While reporting the "failed to initialize ASIC" issue I am experiencing, I noticed that version 8.452.1 is not in the bugzilla pull-down menus yet - 7.12 is the latest version listed.

The ATI Linux Feedback program is even stuck at version 8.433 (Catalyst 7-11)...

Maybe you could trigger some updating of these tools...?

Regards,
              knutbert

Comment

i have the lockups too, and i'm using a hd2600xt by gigabyte on a p35 motherboard by msi using gutsy.
                probably this helps finding the issue.

Comment

Hi bridgman, I wasn't aware that you are from AMD/ATI, so forgive me if anything I said sounds improper.

Anyway it's nice to see that someone from inside is taking complaints from customers and trying to resolve problems.

Comment

I'd just like to add that for several releases of fglrx right back to the start of the "new style driver" at least, if I stop gdm with "/etc/init.d/gdm stop", the system will very often freeze if I then try to switch to the virtual console on which X was running - hard reset needed. (2.6.18 kernel)
                    On the other hand generally speaking if I kill X from within it, rather than using the gdm service stop command from the console, the VT gets freed properly and nothing seems to break.

Comment

I just wanted to add that I'm experiencing the same problem here. Logging out of my GNOME session or killing the X server via Ctrl-Alt-Backspace completely freezes the system. I'm using Ubuntu Hardy Heron (kernel 2.6.24-4) with the latest upgrades and the latest ATI Catalyst driver (Catalyst 8.01).
                      If you need further information (logfiles, etc.) then feel free to ask me about it.

My machine:
                      - Samsung R60Plus Notebook,
                      - Intel Core2Duo T5450 CPU
                      - ATI Mobility Radeon X2300
                      - 2048 MB RAM

Comment

I have the same problem when logging out or shutting down.
                        KDE4-kdm
                        Ubuntu Gutsy

MSI GX710 Notebook
                        ATi Radeon HD2600 mobility
                        Catalyst 8.01

regards Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by jasonxh View Post
                          Hi bridgman, I wasn't aware that you are from AMD/ATI, so forgive me if anything I said sounds improper.
                          No worries. If everyone started saying only nice things the forum wouldn't be fun any more

Can everyone experiencing this lockup at shutdown please try disabling the three functions -- OpenGLOverlay, VideoOverlay and TexturedVideo -- and let us know what you find and what GPU you are running (and, if you feel generous, *which* of the options made the difference) ? It seems that this workaround is working for some folks but not for others, and it's not clear yet what conditions make the difference.

Comment

i'm sorry but no option works for me. i crashes always. using a hd2600xt

Comment

Can everyone experiencing this lockup at shutdown please try disabling the three functions -- OpenGLOverlay, VideoOverlay and TexturedVideo -- and let us know what you find and what GPU you are running (and, if you feel generous, *which* of the options made the difference) ? It seems that this workaround is working for some folks but not for others, and it's not clear yet what conditions make the difference.
                              Okay, so here I am, I did some testing on it and no matter what I do, it does crash.

So first my sysspecs, then what I did:
                              I am running gentoo unstable x86 with vanilla 2.6.23.11 on a HD3850 512MB. My xorg-x11 server version is x11-base/xorg-server-1.4.0.90-r2 and I am running latest 8.01 driver.

The problem: It is not possible to shutdown X11 and use the terminal/restart from the terminal. *But* this does not happen always. I do at least have to use some app that is using OpenGL or running Xorg for some time. I don't know for sure which one it is. At least there is no problem when I directly start and quit Xorg, that is not enough...

Here is what I did to try to fix the problem:
                              1) First I did remove the file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb.
                              2) Comment out *all* XVideo related options in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
                              3) Restart the whole system (restarting X was no option, that is the system basically crashed / showed no graphics output anymore on the terminal after quiting X).
                              4) After the restart of the system and the start of xorg (the overlay option were *all* commented out in xorg.conf), I did have a look at the automatically created file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb. In there those options were set:
                              VideoOverlay=Son
                              OpenGLOverlay=Soff
                              5) After some hours of normal usage (that is viewing videos and such), I did try to shutdown the system. The same crash of unloading fglrx did occur. I was still able to ssh into the system, *but* unloading fglrx was not possible because rmmod did tell me that it was still being in use. So another ctrl+alt+del reboot.
                              6) After the reboot I did just edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf to explicitly set these to 'off':
                              Option "TexturedVideo" "off"
                              Option "VideoOverlay" "off"
                              Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
                              Right after the start of Xorg, I did have a look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and there was still the message that VideoOverlay was not supported on this card and that I should use TexturedVideo instead. I was a little surprised, but thought it could just be a general message, so I did not care. After some hours of normal usage, turning off Xorg did not work again, just a nice and black screen.
                              7) One reboot later I did remove the file /etc/ati/amdpcsdb, started xorg and had another look at the log, now the enty regarding texturedvideo was gone, so I though everything should work when shutting down xorg.
                              8) When shutting down xorg, the same as before did happen. The problem was not fixed.

So what info can I provide now?
                              1) The content of /etc/ati/amdpcsdb does override whatever is defined in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. IMO this is a bug...
                              2) Nothing of those options did change anything.

I hope that I can post some more chars, so that I don't have to double post, to post my current config and some log output...

content of /etc/X11/xorg.conf after step '8)':
                              Code:
                              Section "ServerLayout"
                              	Identifier     "Server Layout"
                              	Screen         "Screen0" 0 0
                              	InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
                              	InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
                              EndSection

Section "Files"
                                  FontPath 	"/usr/share/fonts/misc"
                                  FontPath 	"/usr/share/fonts/75dpi:unscaled"
                                  FontPath 	"/usr/share/fonts/100dpi:unscaled"
                                  FontPath 	"/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
                                  FontPath 	"/usr/local/share/fonts"
                              EndSection

Section "Module"
                              	Load  "dbe"  	# Double buffer extension
                              	SubSection "extmod"
                              		Option	    "omit xfree86-dga"   # don't initialise the DGA extension
                              	EndSubSection
                              	Load  "type1"
                              	Load  "freetype"
                              	Load  "glx"   # libglx.a
                              	Load  "dri"   # libdri.a
                              	Load  "drm"   # libdrm.a
                              EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                              	Identifier  "Keyboard1"
                              	Driver      "kbd"
                              	Option      "XkbModel" "cymotionlinux"
                              	Option	    "XkbLayout" "de"