System lockup with catalyst 8.01

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: double post.
    Last edited by linrunner; 01-23-2008, 01:50 PM.

Comment

My conclusion was wrong:
      FGLRX_ACPI_SWITCH_POWERSTATES=false
      is not an reliable workaround.

I either have to turn 3D off completely
      Option "NoDRI"
      or disable atieventsd.

linrunner>

Comment

Originally posted by ivanovic View Post
        The problem is that *most* of those options are not available in amdccle. There only a *very* minor subset of the stuff that gets set is available. And since the xorg.conf is basically setup by an admin, what the admin says should be valued, that is those values should override whatever is set in amdpcsdb.
        FY, I'm told that aticonfig can modify all of the settings in amdpcsdb, not just the ones supported by cccle.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyHairy View Post
          Hmmm, if atieventsd is the culprit, then I would wager that the driver is in fact locking up on switching powerstates which is performed by atieventsd (which reproducibly locks up my machine, see my post in the main thread). You might want to check this assertion by manually trying to switch powerstates via aticonfig...
          <snip>
          Not all automatic powerstate switching is done by this daemon. There is also an acpid control script in /etc/acpi/fglrx-powermode.sh, which is executed for lid and AC events. This will work even without the atieventsd daemon running ! I think the daemon is needed if you want throttling for thermal events or display hotplugging. I don't have overheating problems and don't care for automatic display hotplugging. Can anyone from AMD confirm this ?

So, without atieventsd running, I'm still successfully using automatic powerstate switching when I pull the AC plug or close/open the LID.

Comment

I have same poweroff/logout/switchuser problem.
            Also if my x doesn't start correctly when i start my pc... and i let it stay there like for 5+ minutes it's stuck and hard reset is only way to restart.
            As i asked elsewhere... do i really have to wait another month (at least) before this gets fixed???
            Restaring from power button is bad for any os so hopefully this will be fixed....ASAP.

Kubuntu 7.10 w/ latest updates.
            Ati 2400 pro pcie.

Comment

After removing atieventsd, I can log out and restart X. However, if two or more users are simultaneously logged-in, my computer still "freezes" when logging out and restarting X on my system. I'm using a Dell E1505, X1400, Ubuntu 7.10.

Comment

fix with disabled atieventsd didn't work for me

i also tried the suggested fix with disabled atieventsd daemon but had no luck. x still crashes on logout or ctrl-alt-bkspce. i killed atieventsd daemon a few times manually. it's also no difference if i'm logged in alone or there are two or more logged users.

i'm on:
                hp compaq nx8220
                ati mobility radeon x600
                kubuntu gutsy 7.10
                default kernel
                catalyst 8.01 installed with envy

thanks for your work,

toxic
                Last edited by toxic-hero; 01-26-2008, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toxic-hero View Post
                  i also tried the suggested fix with disabled atieventsd daemon but had no luck. x still crashes on logout or ctrl-alt-bkspce. i killed atieventsd daemon a few times manually. it's also no difference if i'm logged in alone or there are two or more logged users.
                  I also tried that a few days ago - with no luck. But as I'm using Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04) and the 8.01 drivers recently got included in the default repositories, I switched back to the fglrx driver packaged by the Ubuntu team. And to my very surprise everything works fine again now.
                  I don't know about the differences between the original AMD/ATI driver packages and the ones built by the Ubuntu devs though.

Comment

Over here on gentoo unstable everything works nicely with the atieventsd turned off. I have also turned on the overlay options again and had no more crashes. So for me the cause of the problems was atieventsd.

Comment

Hm, my system locks up imediatly after starting X... with 8.1 and 7.12 driver on gutsy...
                      I don't know what is wrong.. kernel module built correctly via dkms and everything installs fine...
                      Xorg.0.log:
                      X Window System Version 1.3.0
                      Release Date: 19 April 2007
                      X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
                      Build Operating System: Linux Ubuntu (xorg-server 2:1.3.0.0.dfsg-12ubuntu8.3)
                      Current Operating System: Linux speedZ 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 08:02:57 UTC 2007 i686
                      Build Date: 18 January 2008
                      Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
                      to make sure that you have the latest version.
                      Module Loader present
                      Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
                      (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
                      (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
                      (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jan 26 19:40:52 2008
                      (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
                      (==) ServerLayout "Default Layout"
                      (**) |-->Screen "Default Screen" (0)
                      (**) | |-->Monitor "SyncMaster"
                      (**) | |-->Device "Generic Video Card"
                      (**) |-->Input Device "Generic Keyboard"
                      (**) |-->Input Device "Configured Mouse"
                      (WW) The directory "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic" does not exist.
                      This is where it halts completly... reset button is all there is left.
                      I'm I the only one experiencing this issue?... as i see all of You manage to start X... but have issues later.

Comment

Do you have an AGP based Radeon HD2x00 card, Zlatan?
                        What you describe seems common behaviour with fglrx right now, there have been many reports (including regarding my own Radeon HD2600XT AGP on a VIA K8T800Pro motherboard) that the current fglrx driver doesn't work for HD2x00-based AGP cards, at least not on many common VIA motherboard chipsets.
                        My system freezes, with a black screen for most incarnations of the fglrx driver, or with a partially drawn Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 (64-bit) GDM login screen for version 8.433. Disabling direct rendering sometimes makes the driver work but slower than the open-source non-accelerated radeonhd driver which is what I'm currently using.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=843&num=1
                        Last edited by Swoopy; 01-27-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

heh... thanks for the info...

I'm actually using x1600pro AGP but i suppose it's the same issue.
                          RadeonHD gives me a green tinted screen(19" CRT)... probably because it lacks support for TV-out(PAL CRT TV) currently... unless the situation has improved recently...

EDIT: just tried it again(radeonHD)... still green... probably trying to run primary display at 50Hz And I really do not want to disconnect my TV all the time.
                          Last edited by zlatan; 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

My x700 AGP card doesn't work with versions 7.11, 7.12 or 8.1

Originally posted by Swoopy View Post
                            Do you have an AGP based Radeon HD2x00 card, Zlatan?
                            What you describe seems common behaviour with fglrx right now, there have been many reports (including regarding my own Radeon HD2600XT AGP on a VIA K8T800Pro motherboard) that the current fglrx driver doesn't work for HD2x00-based AGP cards, at least not on many common VIA motherboard chipsets.
                            My system freezes, with a black screen for most incarnations of the fglrx driver, or with a partially drawn Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 (64-bit) GDM login screen for version 8.433. Disabling direct rendering sometimes makes the driver work but slower than the open-source non-accelerated radeonhd driver which is what I'm currently using.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=843&num=1
                            Swoopy, I seem to have the same problem you commented.
                            My system is:
                            Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2.6ghz HT
                            Motherboard Intel D865PERL
                            Saphire X700 AGP 256Mb (rialto chip)
                            19" CRT Monitor.
                            Kernel 2.6.22-3-686 (pre-compiled from backports.org)
                            Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 Etch (Stable)
                            Xorg 7.1.0-19

The system freezes when loading gdm. I see a partially loaded image, mostly blank.

I had the IRQ loading problem with 8.42 versions, wich is speciffically an AGP bug, wich partially worked but with a very
                            poor performance, fglx_gears very slow and compiz full of glitches(white titles, and after some minutes totally blank screen).

With the 7.11, 7.12 and 8.1 catalyst driver, my system totally freezes when loading gdm.
                            The strangest thing, is that there is NO ERROR in the logs, gdm log, Xorg log and even syslog log. The module loads flawlessly, I disabled the gdm startup and loaded the module manually, just loading the module doesn't freeze the system, but when gdm "uses" it the system freezes/lockup, I had posted this problem here before:
                            http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...highlight=x700
                            but the suggestion I had(lowering the agp aperture) didn't work.

It seems to me that the problem is still related to the IRQ assignment. Right after where would be the log error about the IRQ, the system freezes and there is no more lines in the log.

I thought this problem would be solved with a new driver release....

I'm very dissapointed with AMD/ATI. Nvidia is a year in advance, if we talk about driver support. They even support Freebsd, wich I'd like to use as well, but not without 3d acceleration.

Bridgman, I'd gladly join the AGP beta testers group, as someone said before here in the forums, I feel the AGP users are not well represented in the beta testers. How do I do that?

Swoopy, in your post above you posted a link to a how-to install the radeonhd driver. Do you mean that there is no solution to use the newest fglrx proprietary driver in agp cards?

I'm very upset with the support of the driver in the *nix systems.
                            If I don't get it working on the next driver release, I'll sell my ATI card, and buy a NVIDIA one. I can't wait anymore, AIGLX is out there for a year already. I'll also tell all of my friends who use linux to stay away from ATI cards..... I'd hate to do that, but here in Brazil, a lot of ppl still use AGP cards, the majority I'd dare to say, we don't change our hardware every year, my box is in good use for 5 years already. Many of my friends buy ATI cards because they are cheaper(at least here) and have a good hardware.

Just hope they can continue to do so, if ATI improve their linux driver in a short time.
                            The cost/benefit price/performance relationship on ATI cards, is excelent.
                            So should be their linux/freebsd drivers.
                            Last edited by israel_miranda; 01-29-2008, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Removing atieventsd fixes hang

Running
                              sudo /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f atieventsd remove

fixed the hang on logout for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X