Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • lockup issue textured video workaround helped !

    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Can you try turning off Textured Video ? It shouldn't make a difference, but we have at least one report that mentioned it.

    This obviously isn't a good workaround for you, since it *will* impact your xv playback, but it would be good to know if that makes a difference with the lockup.
    Thanx bridgman, this helped me, I was suffering from the lockup issue before aplying this workaround.

    Comment


    • Section "Device"
      Identifier "ATI RADEON X1400"
      Driver "fglrx"
      BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
      Option "VideoOverlay" "on"
      Option "OpenGLOverlay" "off"
      # Option "UseFastTLS" "2"
      # Option "TexturedVideo" "on"
      EndSection
      try setting to off both the overlays and see what happens in xine when using xv or opengl. see which is faster and usable (remember that 2d-tex-fragprog probably wouldn't print osds in xine and just 2d-tex does).

      Comment


      • Could anyone having suspend2(ram|disk) working, tell if this has been out of the box or after manual fiddling?

        I have a T60 ThinkPad with a X1400 Mobility running Kubuntu Gutsy.
        Suspend works fine with any kernel - as long as I don't have the 'fglrx' module loaded.

        Even with 8.01 it doesn't work with the distro kernel (2.6.22-14) or any manually compiled (2.6.23.14 with SLUB or with SLAB allocator).
        The system is shut down correctly but after turning it on again i get a black screen..

        Any ideas/hints?

        Comment


        • Nice to see that they are focussing on removing the bug. Because, as sombody already say i do not care, for the moment, for *new* capabilty. All I want is a driver wich I could consider as Functional.

          For the moment I'll stick with the old code base driver because I am a heavy user of dual-head. So as long as the dual-head bug is not resolved I will not even try *new* driver. (I did try the 7.12 though.)

          But If this continue I can hope to try it in less than 6 month, I hope ;-)

          Good job and keep it up!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by seezer View Post
            Could anyone having suspend2(ram|disk) working, tell if this has been out of the box or after manual fiddling?

            I have a T60 ThinkPad with a X1400 Mobility running Kubuntu Gutsy.
            Suspend works fine with any kernel - as long as I don't have the 'fglrx' module loaded.

            Even with 8.01 it doesn't work with the distro kernel (2.6.22-14) or any manually compiled (2.6.23.14 with SLUB or with SLAB allocator).
            The system is shut down correctly but after turning it on again i get a black screen..

            Any ideas/hints?
            I got it working with 2.6.23.14 vanilla and SLAB allocator.

            Going to try the SLUB allocator now.
            [Update: SLUB working too]

            The trick:
            in /etc/default/acpi-support set

            SAVE_VBE_STATE=false
            POST_VIDEO=false
            Last edited by seezer; 01-20-2008, 09:55 AM. Reason: slub is also working

            Comment


            • The new version of the fglrx works quite fine for me. I'm running Debian unstable. Just upgrade with apt-get upgrade fglrx-driver and using module-assistant. Restart gdm X works.
              I don't suppose Xv will work but GL2 in mplayer will have to do.

              I have a resolution of 1440x900 back on my Dell Inspiron 1721 back.
              Also native amd64 OpenGL games work, like chromium and wormux.

              On the other hand do have 2 other problems.

              The biggest problems lies with wine. I guess that it can't find the required libraries.

              Using winecfg results in the following error.
              breetai@lappy:~$ winecfg
              wine: creating configuration directory '/home/breetai/.wine'...
              X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
              Major opcode of failed request: 162 (GLX)
              Minor opcode of failed request: 5 (X_GLXMakeCurrent)
              Serial number of failed request: 18
              Current serial number in output stream: 18

              running fgl_glxgears results in the following error:
              breetai@lappy:~$ fgl_glxgears
              Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
              X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
              Major opcode of failed request: 162 (GLX)
              Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
              Serial number of failed request: 41
              Current serial number in output stream: 42
              breetai@lappy:~$

              Using fgl_glxgears -fbo does work.

              Comment


              • Good driver release from ATI, but after some time with the computer on 2d rendering becomes choppy... I dont know what to do fix it, BTW firefox scrolling is REALLY slow.... if someone has this problem too please post it to find a solution... Please help.... I have an ATI radeon X1300 running in ubuntu Feisty

                Comment


                • Originally posted by linzerd View Post
                  BTW firefox scrolling is REALLY slow.... if someone has this problem too please post it to find a solution... Please help.... I have an ATI radeon X1300 running in ubuntu Feisty
                  Look here

                  -Firefox scolling is definitly better with this option switched on.

                  -In addition, turn off the firefox-option smooth scrolling.

                  Both worked for me.

                  Comment


                  • OK, I've got Mobility Radeon X700 with 256M, with the 8.443 I had
                    glxgears: ~4500 FPS;
                    fgl_glxgears: ~930 FPS.
                    After today's update to 8.45, I've got
                    glxgears: ~630 FPS;
                    fgl_glxgears: segfault.
                    Direct rendering is also gone.
                    No changes in xorg.conf whatsoever.

                    Few of the more interesting lines from my Xorg.0.log:
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    (--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kByte, Type: DDR1
                    (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
                    (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 256 MB
                    (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 262144Kb for PCIe. Error (-1000)
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
                    (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
                    --------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Before You ask, I'm running Fedora 8 with 2.6.23.9-85.fc8
                    I also run metacity 2.21.5, but that worked fine with 8.443
                    Scrolling in Firefox is OK, but I run 3.0b2
                    However, scrolling in mcedit is terrible, let alone minimizing and maximizing windows. Moving windows around also takes *ages*.
                    Please help!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by buskfaus View Post
                      OK, I've got Mobility Radeon X700 with 256M, with the 8.443 I had
                      glxgears: ~4500 FPS;
                      fgl_glxgears: ~930 FPS.
                      After today's update to 8.45, I've got
                      glxgears: ~630 FPS;
                      fgl_glxgears: segfault.
                      Direct rendering is also gone.
                      No changes in xorg.conf whatsoever.

                      Few of the more interesting lines from my Xorg.0.log:
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      (--) fglrx(0): VideoRAM: 131072 kByte, Type: DDR1
                      (II) fglrx(0): PCIE card detected
                      (WW) fglrx(0): board is an unknown third party board, chipset is supported
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 256 MB
                      (EE) fglrx(0): [pcie] Failed to gather memory of size 262144Kb for PCIe. Error (-1000)
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      (WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed! *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO) *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available *
                      (WW) fglrx(0): ********************************************* *
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Before You ask, I'm running Fedora 8 with 2.6.23.9-85.fc8
                      I also run metacity 2.21.5, but that worked fine with 8.443
                      Scrolling in Firefox is OK, but I run 3.0b2
                      However, scrolling in mcedit is terrible, let alone minimizing and maximizing windows. Moving windows around also takes *ages*.
                      Please help!
                      you seem to have some problem with the drm and agpgart modules. the reason why your fps dropped down is that you don't have direct rendering enabled anymore. so the fps are sw rendered at about 700fps by the processor. try to see if your agpgart and drm modules are set into the kernel and are loaded at xorg start.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                        Can you try turning off Textured Video ? It shouldn't make a difference, but we have at least one report that mentioned it.

                        This obviously isn't a good workaround for you, since it *will* impact your xv playback, but it would be good to know if that makes a difference with the lockup.
                        Tested as sugested and the problem was solved... This is however not an acceptable workaround, as you have already mentioned. XV playback stops working...

                        Comment


                        • givemesugarr, thanks for helping. Much appreciated.

                          I've uploaded my whole Xorg.0.log to pastebin:
                          http://pastebin.com/f4cfe196b

                          And my xorg.conf too:
                          http://pastebin.com/f6243ae03

                          Sorry about the amount of logs, but I thought I would be better to include everything that to skip something. I'm really not that good at video subsystem of linux
                          What should I do now ?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by DirtyHairy View Post
                            Observations on my T60 (mobility X1300):

                            Pro:
                            - Memory leak is gone
                            - widescreen works
                            - OpenGL speed is good
                            - Textured2D has noticeably improved, some rendering operations still seem to cause minor slowdowns, but overall 2D speed is noticable improved by the option (I don't use compositing or AIGLX for now)
                            - Suspend to RAM works nicely (as it has always done for me)

                            Contra:
                            - XV still is not working correctly
                            - Strange "diagonal" tearing is still present when vsync is enabled
                            - Powerplay has developed a tendency to cause deadlocks

                            Overall, this is one of the most usable releases for me since I aquired this laptop one and a half years ago To elaborate a bit (in a hopefully constructive fashion) on the cons:

                            XV has stopped working correctly somewhere around Summer last year. Since the it is crippled, only two color formats are available, and the only application that plays along nicely with it is mplayer - xine produces garbled output, and vlc can be made working by forcing the color format, but then scaling doesn't work correctly and is blocky. Also, there is a strange sort of "diagonal" tearing (also present with OpenGL and vsync) which looks like a "Z"with the top and bottom lines flipped to the outsides. I still am hoping for a version that fixes this (although I have noticed that xshm and software scaling is suprisingly good).

                            Much worse is the breakage of powerplay which for the first time causes trouble in this release. If Textured2D is enabled, it causes reproducable deadlocks which affect nearly everything - ssh access isn't possible. However, magic sysrq is working for syncing and rebooting, so at least parts of the kernel are left alive. If I disable Textured2D, it only locks every 4-6 times or so, but of course, that's not really better, so I disabled it for now. Since powerplay makes the difference between ~22 and ~16 watts total power consumption on my notebook, I would consider this a blocker if I wouldn't detest the memory leak even more (not to speak of the widescreen bug, I am confident that pushing this out was meant to be a bad joke).

                            When these critters get fixed (espeacially the last one), I for the first time will be tempted of assigning any level of "quality" to fglrx (at least on my configuration)

                            If anyone is interested, my configuration is a thinkpad T60 core duo (no "2", so 32 bit) running gentoo stable (xorg-server 1.3).
                            The same goes for my experience, been using Gentoo for about a year, running with AMD and with Ati, very stable, nice and very few issues. Looks like the problems are inherent to some distros (not for my Gentoo, though!)

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by thund3rman View Post
                              Tested as sugested and the problem was solved... This is however not an acceptable workaround, as you have already mentioned. XV playback stops working...
                              Spoke too soon... There was something that corrected the problem, but it appeared again... With both overlays and also textured video disabled...

                              Comment


                              • thx sok-1, firefox scrolling improved, but the slowdown continues... It happens after a certain time, when i boot everything is fine, but later 2d rendering becomes choppy, i dont know if this is a distro issue, or a driver bug, the truth is that it is very annoying... restarting the x server fixes it, but after some time it appears again... please help... thx in advance

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X