Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 8.01 Linux Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Another user (Bigon) added their log to Bugzilla #983. Looks like the error from that log is "(EE) fglrx(0): Failed to initialize CMMQS driver."

    NeoBrain, you had the "Preinit DAL" error, didn't you ? Is that still what you are seeing, or are you getting the CMMQS message as well ? Which GPU model are you seeing the problem on ?
    Last edited by bridgman; 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM.

    Comment


    • #42
      I still get poor performance when using AIGLX, including the diagonal tearing when scrolling in firefox.

      Anyone know of a fix or is it just down to ATI to get it sorted?

      Comment


      • #43
        No, it was just coming on the first startx after driver installation, on the second try it worked.

        My problem was this one:
        (**) fglrx(0): ATI GART size: 256 MB
        (II) fglrx(0): [pci] find AGP GART
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] Mode=0x1f004e1b bridge: 0x1039/0x0746
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v1/2 disable mask 0x00000000
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] AGP v3 disable mask 0x00000000
        (II) fglrx(0): [agp] enabling AGP with mode=0x1f004f1a
        (EE) fglrx(0): [agp] Failed to remmap MC AGP aperture base!
        (EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
        Which disables the 3d accel.
        I have an X1600 (AGP) with 512 MB vram, my system has 512 MB ram, too.
        Other users also had the same problem and it helped them to set the AGP aperture size in the BIOS to another vram size.
        However, I've tried all possible numbers for that from 32 MB to 256 MB (my BIOS's maximum), but none worked.
        Had worked with 8.43 btw, further information is here...:
        http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7044

        I've allready tried many things with givemesuggar, but I came to the decision that I'll better wait until AMD fixes this

        Comment


        • #44
          Hmm getting poorer 3d performance and what seems like a "frame lag" where it runs fine for a few seconds then freezes for a few and then runs fine for a few more and then freezes and so on. Does this on fgl_glxgears and glxgears. I ran a game also and it would be moving fine then it would appear to skip a bunch of frames and then keep going repeating this the whole time. Anyone else have this issue. I was also able to reproduce this at other resolutions so its not the 64 pixel bug. I just checked dmesg and its flooded with errors related to fglrx. I think I'm going to go back to 7-12 its not like the modeline bug really effected me anyway.
          Last edited by Compxpert; 01-18-2008, 01:23 PM.

          Comment


          • #45
            So, I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and suspend obviously wasn't working until Catalyst 7.12. However, widescreen stopped working along with that. So I figured I would just wait until 8.1 for widescreen and suspend (and 3D acceleration, which is really the only plus I care about that ATI proprietary drivers have over the others). However, suspend broke. Goddamn it. It turns off the screen, the harddrive spins up, and then nothing. Dead. I have to do a hard reset.

            Peter

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by pjjanak View Post
              So, I'm using Ubuntu 7.10 and suspend obviously wasn't working until Catalyst 7.12. However, widescreen stopped working along with that. So I figured I would just wait until 8.1 for widescreen and suspend (and 3D acceleration, which is really the only plus I care about that ATI proprietary drivers have over the others). However, suspend broke. Goddamn it. It turns off the screen, the harddrive spins up, and then nothing. Dead. I have to do a hard reset.

              Peter
              This after you installed 8.1?

              Comment


              • #47
                Anyone here has problems restarting X ?
                If I press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace my PC freezes (only with the background image).

                Damn you ATI! Get your act together!!

                Comment


                • #48
                  For the Fedora packaging bug, I'll push updated scripts to Phorogit for it tonight once I get back to my hotel.
                  Michael Larabel
                  http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by Nicolas View Post
                    Anyone here has problems restarting X ?
                    If I press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace my PC freezes (only with the background image).

                    Damn you ATI! Get your act together!!
                    Got this too

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by chrisbudden View Post
                      I still get poor performance when using AIGLX, including the diagonal tearing when scrolling in firefox.

                      Anyone know of a fix or is it just down to ATI to get it sorted?
                      Scrolling in Firefox with AIGLX enabled is impossible. It's REALLY SLOW depending on the content (eg: flash animation).

                      So, I've updated my driver to get system crash when restarting X and no improvements at all. Nice.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X