No announcement yet.

How to install Ati Catalyst driver on Ubuntu 7.10 “Gutsy Gibbon”

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should work fine with a 3850, assuming you have a PCIE card. We're still working on the support for 3850 AGP.

Comment

Bridgman, what about working drivers for the x1950 Pro AGP? I know there is a group of people here that would like that very much - me included.

Comment

SneakyPhil, which issue are you seeing ? Is there a specific error message during startup or anything ?

Comment

X freezes after the operating system loads. Just gives a black screen.

I'm running Ubuntu gutsy, fresh install, latest xorg

I don't know if you have seen this, but it is all the AGP users with problems such as mine.
          http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showt...?t=7799&page=2
          Last edited by SneakyPhil; 03-15-2008, 01:11 AM.

Comment

does this script work? if so how do I use it?
            IO am asking becaue I just finished building my comp and installed 64bit gutsy and am having major problems installing the ATI drivers

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
              X freezes after the operating system loads. Just gives a black screen.
              Try setting the apateur/gart size to 512 in your bios.

Comment

I failed to say that after I enabled open source or closed source drivers to get composite working, X froze up.

My bios does not have an option to change the apateur/gart size.

Comment

Originally posted by SneakyPhil View Post
                  I failed to say that after I enabled open source or closed source drivers to get composite working, X froze up.

My bios does not have an option to change the apateur/gart size.
                  I can reproduce your problems on my AGP X1600pro

The Open source driver doesn't support 3D yet, although it does in theory do XV. The trouble is that it doesn't work with the AGP cards yet. Depending on whether or not I load my chipset agp module I can get OSS 2D to work but it will crash on trying to use XV - or it will hang on startx (if module loaded). This is a known issue and when I reported it to the list was told they are waiting for more details about the pcie -> agp bridge chip that recent AGP cards use.

As for fglrx the only way I can get 3D to work is to set GART to 512 in bios.

I can avoid hangs on startx with lower sizes by blacklisting my chipset AGP module,agpgart and fglrx in /etc/modprobe.conf (though I don't use ubuntu) - but there is no 3D/xv doing it this way.

I guess if you do the same you may at least get stable 2D support with fglrx - which for me using a CRT was alot better than using VESA because I couldn't get that to set refresh rate to anything other than 60Hz.

It's a shame your bios doesn't have the right settings to try - what mobo/bios is it? If you are lucky it could just be hidden by default or something.

Using an older fglrx like 8.40.4 with chipset-agp blacklisted may get you 3D support, but I don't know if it works with recent kernels and don't think it will work with AIGLX.

Comment

Hi people, im a Linux user since 1 year ago and I just bought a x1650 PRO PCI-Ex, my second video card since previous 6200 AGP.I installed the last proprietary drivers from AMD/ATI site doing just
                    sh ati-driver-installer-8-3-x86.x86_64.run
                    and it installed fine.Is this method recommended or can I have low performance or any issues? Thanks for your attention.

Comment

You have the PCI-E version so everything should be pretty fine for you. As long as it get installed and works is what matters.

Comment

hello guys, im new here & seeking for help on my rig. recently ive installed ubuntu gutsy in my machine & i only can set my display to 1600x1200 where im using radeonhd 2900xt 1gb & dell 24" wfp.

after following the guide here : http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item=843&num=1, i manage to change my resolution to max 1920x1200@ 60hz. so:-

a. i wonder shall i install the ati catalyst or just used as it?
                        b. if i were to install latest ati catalyst, will there any problem such blank display etc?

plss advice, thanks

Comment

my bad, double post
                          Last edited by gengstapo; 05-10-2008, 08:05 AM.

Comment

If you don't need 3d acceleration and other "fancy stuff" I would stick to radeonhd.

I used it for 4 month without problems. (Doing Office Stuff, www, watching videos)

Unfortunately I'm forced to use a windows notebook until my stay in Copenhagen

Comment

That's good to know.Thank you for posting that article.
                              It's very informative.I know it will be a big help.

Comment

Working...
                              X