Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalyst 7.12 - PreInitDAL failed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
    Okay, seems like fglrx didn't let me change any options which I had specified once again, so I removed /etc/ati and reinstalled the driver. Now it uses the built in agpgart, but I get the same error...
    Maybe I'm better of with waiting for 8.45
    well, i think that at this point is better to mask the package and install the 8.433. if that works keep up with that, since the fixes in 8.44 aren't so great. just remember the link to libGL.so.1 in /usr/lib/ after you install the 8.433. this update reminds me of the testing 8.41.

    Comment


    • #47
      Yeah, but with 8.44 I'd have been able to run compiz for more than half an our (memleak bug)^^
      Anyways, has ATI's christmas present reached the public now o_O
      (I hope the present shouldn't have been the driver )

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
        Yeah, but with 8.44 I'd have been able to run compiz for more than half an our (memleak bug)^^
        Anyways, has ATI's christmas present reached the public now o_O
        (I hope the present shouldn't have been the driver )
        hmmm.... i still wonder why people would use compiz with fglrx.... it's something that doesn't work fine and doing it for me is a little nonsense.
        well, anyway, the old driver worked quite fine too, for me.
        as for the present: it was the driver.... for windows...

        Comment


        • #49
          Returning to the PreInitDAL Error

          This thread has gone off-topic for a while now. I am having the PreInitDAL error on a new Radeon 2400 HD Pro. I can get around the error on the Radeon card by unplugging the tv (via VGA). However, nothing is shown on the screen when I plug it back in, even though X is running.

          My system is Gentoo 2.6.23-gentoo-r3. No framebuffers compiled into the kernel or loaded as modules.

          Any ideas?

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by corp186 View Post
            This thread has gone off-topic for a while now. I am having the PreInitDAL error on a new Radeon 2400 HD Pro. I can get around the error on the Radeon card by unplugging the tv (via VGA). However, nothing is shown on the screen when I plug it back in, even though X is running.

            My system is Gentoo 2.6.23-gentoo-r3. No framebuffers compiled into the kernel or loaded as modules.

            Any ideas?
            of what i've seen in my xorg log it seems that fglrx disables the tv output when nothing is connected to it. i don't know if it searches for it when it is connected later, but this might be reason.
            what i can suggest you is to emerge once again the r1 ebuild (out on the 24 of december) and try using that one. of what i've seen there has been some changes in the ati-powermode.sh and might be that the preinitdal was corrected. also be sure that the opengl is set to ati (eselect opengl show). for me the preinitdal showed with the first ebuild but then went away.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
              of what i've seen in my xorg log it seems that fglrx disables the tv output when nothing is connected to it. i don't know if it searches for it when it is connected later, but this might be reason.
              what i can suggest you is to emerge once again the r1 ebuild (out on the 24 of december) and try using that one. of what i've seen there has been some changes in the ati-powermode.sh and might be that the preinitdal was corrected. also be sure that the opengl is set to ati (eselect opengl show). for me the preinitdal showed with the first ebuild but then went away.
              The r1 ebuild didn't help my PreInitDAL error.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                The r1 ebuild didn't help my PreInitDAL error.
                i really think that your ati board is possessed by an akurei (a japanese evil spirit)....

                i really think that you can turn back to 8.433 and mask the 8.443.1-r1 ebuild so that you avoid installing it again.

                Comment


                • #53
                  I've gone back to 8.35.5 for now as it actually does: detect my card as AGP, runs at 1680x1050 and doesn't have a memory leak .

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                    I've gone back to 8.35.5 for now as it actually does: detect my card as AGP, runs at 1680x1050 and doesn't have a memory leak .
                    doesn't your board work with 8.40.4 also?

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                      doesn't your board work with 8.40.4 also?
                      Look at this part of his message.

                      Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                      .... and doesn't have a memory leak .
                      That would appear to be his reason for going back to 8.35.5.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by Compxpert View Post
                        Look at this part of his message.



                        That would appear to be his reason for going back to 8.35.5.
                        8.40.4 didn't have a memory leak that was the new code base from 8.41 I think. 8.40.4 thinks my card is a PCIE card and so AGP never gets setup, performance is very bad.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Crunchy View Post
                          8.40.4 didn't have a memory leak that was the new code base from 8.41 I think. 8.40.4 thinks my card is a PCIE card and so AGP never gets setup, performance is very bad.
                          have you tried telling fglrx the bustype (Option "BusType" "AGP")?! maybe forcing the bustype it would read it.
                          and if that doesn't work then maybe it's better to stick with 8.35 if it works. i don't have agp so i cannot answer if they're supported in the right way or not.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Crunchy:

                            I got mine to work, I had the PreInitDAL error initially aswell, but after using the other port, and lowering my gart in the bios from 512 to 256 it appears to work normally.

                            Hmm I also may have commented the "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" option in my xorg.conf so it's back to the default (false i reccon). That's all i changed to get my X1950Pro AGP (512MB) to work (so far, wether it 'really' works remains to be seen as i haven't done much except 2d and glxgears

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              here's a few notes, at least with my install... FGLRX 8.44.3 does not have issues with memory leak, works in multiple monitors on opengl, although vlc will not render with opengl enabled and set to render on the second monitor.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by oliver View Post
                                Crunchy:

                                I got mine to work, I had the PreInitDAL error initially aswell, but after using the other port, and lowering my gart in the bios from 512 to 256 it appears to work normally.

                                Hmm I also may have commented the "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" option in my xorg.conf so it's back to the default (false i reccon). That's all i changed to get my X1950Pro AGP (512MB) to work (so far, wether it 'really' works remains to be seen as i haven't done much except 2d and glxgears
                                This doesn't help me .

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X