Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

    Phoronix: AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

    AMD's proprietary Catalyst Linux driver installer is interestingly being prepared for an environment without an X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2ODU

  • #2
    Christ on a bike! Are AMD ahead of Nvidia?

    If you compiled catalyst with no X, would that prevent you from using XWayland does anyone know?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
      Christ on a bike! Are AMD ahead of Nvidia?
      Nah...
      I really wish they were though. Being a arch user is a nightmare if I want to use catalyst because they're so slooow at updating. If only AMD just fused both open source and closed drivers together to create a frankenstein driver with bleeding edge support and great 3D performance I wouldn't think twice when buying a new GPU. Until that happens, however, I'm going with NVIDIA.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
        If you compiled catalyst with no X, would that prevent you from using XWayland does anyone know?
        I am not sure, but I think you would still be able to use XWayland, because it uses the in-tree Glamor "DDX", which is not truly device-dependent. From http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html:

        XWayland support has been merged in the master X.Org branch on April 4th, 2014, and is first released with xserver 1.16. The separate X.Org video DDXes are not needed anymore.
        Do not take my word, however.

        Comment


        • #5
          A bit too late, no? they should have had this when virtual coin miners were buying AMD GPUs like crazy... Of course someone will use it in the future, but, come on, it's 2014 and they just started separating the driver from the graphics part...
          You know why nVidia has an advantage to AMD? It's because they say they are a *software* company that just happens to make hardware... That, while AMD seems to be quite a mess internally (firing engineers after a few years, rehiring them when things go wrong, etc.).

          Comment


          • #6
            Betteridge's law?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Vidar View Post
              Nah...
              I really wish they were though. Being a arch user is a nightmare if I want to use catalyst because they're so slooow at updating. If only AMD just fused both open source and closed drivers together to create a frankenstein driver with bleeding edge support and great 3D performance I wouldn't think twice when buying a new GPU. Until that happens, however, I'm going with NVIDIA.
              Be aware, that if you are calling out to turn or make AMD opensource driver into Frankenstein, than you will be very much upvoted for inquisition, because the said driver is working perfectly in 3D and 2D for *many* AMD cards and is reason why some people buy AMD TODAY thank you very much.

              Comment


              • #8
                more and less

                Originally posted by brosis View Post
                Be aware, that if you are calling out to turn or make AMD opensource driver into Frankenstein, than you will be very much upvoted for inquisition, because the said driver is working perfectly in 3D and 2D for *many* AMD cards and is reason why some people buy AMD TODAY thank you very much.
                more and less, the performance is not so good

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                  more and less, the performance is not so good
                  It is for r600, and it keeps improving...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    r600

                    Originally posted by asdfblah View Post
                    It is for r600, and it keeps improving...
                    r600 is for old cards

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
                      r600 is for old cards
                      The Radeon 6000 series is not that old. I've seen your posts, you're an Nvidia fanboy.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        AMD is preparing for Android!

                        It's because AMD is preparing for Android!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by enihcam View Post
                          It's because AMD is preparing for Android!
                          Most plausible so far.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by enihcam View Post
                            It's because AMD is preparing for Android!
                            I haven't worked on the packaging scripts for Catalyst in years since I stopped maintaining the Fedora fglrx package scripts, but while possible this probably wouldn't be the case. There could simply be a new "Android" packaging script option and its own set of installer scripts just as there is with any distro and those scripts themselves would ignore anything X related and not require Ubuntu/SUSE/etc to offer a --NoXServer switch.
                            Michael Larabel
                            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i'm not a fanboy

                              Originally posted by xeekei View Post
                              The Radeon 6000 series is not that old. I've seen your posts, you're an Nvidia fanboy.
                              no fanboy here, i use what i think is better for me. i have amd cards i buy a lot of them because the price untill i buy a nvidia. r600 is good no doubt but the new apu are all RSI, for exemple i have a apu with r600 and other RSI and the new one not work well with open drivers the old one works better with opensource

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X