Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATI devs - look at this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ATI devs - look at this.

    Because they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I'd take a little screenie of my latest attempt at running Catalyst 7.11 for Linux.

    So, ATI devs, if all this never ending rant on the phoronix forums mean nothing anymore to your ears, maybe a little *visual* of the state your latest driver is in will help you realise why everyone is so disapointed with the work you have done.



    Alright everyone, in the fashion of "this is your brain on drugs", brace yourself for "this is your desktop on an ATI linux driver":




    say no to .. (no comment)

    if anyone out there is good enough to be using that, tell me what you're on. Nuff said.

  • #2
    I occasionally had that problem until I changed my shared memory size, that seemed to make it go away. I'm on an X1400:

    Option "MaxGARTSize" "256"

    Before it was only using the 128MB available on the card, this seemed to make it able to use some of my main memory, too.

    Comment


    • #3
      point of my post was that I am not having this problem with the *older* ati driver.

      When you get bugs from an older driver, you're not really surprised. It's when you *upgrade* and things actually start to work worse, well... then its just stoopid ..

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pedepy View Post
        point of my post was that I am not having this problem with the *older* ati driver.

        When you get bugs from an older driver, you're not really surprised. It's when you *upgrade* and things actually start to work worse, well... then its just stoopid ..
        It's just a regression... They are on a brand new code-base so it will take a few releases to get such regressions worked out (i.e. why FireGL ASICs have been disabled until this month's release).
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          well i wish we'd stop getting regressions ..

          i stubbled upon the "next-gen" model for my LG laptop .. same specs but with an NVIDIA card along with HDMI output ... that one hurt a little :P


          mr micheal of all people you may be the best positioned to answer ... do you think AMD's recent problems with their newer line of CPUs will affect development at ati (with linux hit hardest most likely in such a situation) or are things still run mostly seperately ?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by pedepy View Post
            mr micheal of all people you may be the best positioned to answer ... do you think AMD's recent problems with their newer line of CPUs will affect development at ati (with linux hit hardest most likely in such a situation) or are things still run mostly seperately ?
            Their struggling processors will impact the development at ATI. AMD's status quo clearly has some problems and if you've been paying attention to the news recently with several high management AMD employees stepping down, that is surely to cause some change. Whether it means they will ramp up ATI production to offset their struggling chip sales or if they'll cut back in funds dedicated to new ATI products, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. While I don't think it will seriously impact the AMD Graphics Product Group in a serious way (unless their CPUs keep running piss poor), whether it be small or large there will be some sort of effect on their graphics products. Maybe it just means ATI Markham is only allowed to throw a smaller Christmas party... So yes, I anticipate they will be (or are being) impacted but by how much has yet to be seen.
            Michael Larabel
            http://www.michaellarabel.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pedepy View Post
              Because they say a picture is worth a thousand words, I thought I'd take a little screenie of my latest attempt at running Catalyst 7.11 for Linux.
              Can you post a bit about your hardware ? AGP or PCIE, chipset, GPU etc ?

              Thanks,
              JB

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                Can you post a bit about your hardware ? AGP or PCIE, chipset, GPU etc ?

                Thanks,
                JB

                uh sorry for the delay .. i have an S1 LG laptop bundled up with the ATI mobility radeon X1600 card. The above picture if I recall is from running it through XGL but I am not sure.

                Not sure if the rest of the hardware is relevant, let me know if you need to know more.

                Comment

                Working...
                X