Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Phoronix: Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Since writing about the features of the Catalyst 14.6 Beta earlier today, the x86/x86_64 proprietary Linux driver has surfaced on a third-party web-site for those wishing to try out this latest AMD Linux graphics driver...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTcwMjA

Mirror: https://mega.co.nz/#!08s1iQAJ!-ELVok...OObR45JzUdLkKM

Comment

Doesn't seem to support kernel 3.15rc7 out of the box (I'll try that one patch for 3.14+ support):

/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/make.log

DKMS make.log for fglrx-14.200 for kernel 3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency (x86_64)
      Tue May 27 12:19:00 EDT 2014
      AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
      doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
      rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
      make -C /lib/modules/3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency/build SUBDIRS=/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x modules
      make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency'
      CC [M] /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function 'KCL_GetEffectiveUid':
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1787:5: error: incompatible types when returning type 'kuid_t' but 'KCL_TYPE_Uid' was expected
      return current_euid();
      ^
      /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1793:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
      }
      ^
      make[2]: *** [/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Error 1
      make[1]: *** [_module_/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/2.6.x] Error 2
      make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.15.0-031500rc7-lowlatency'
      make: *** [kmod_build] Error 2
      build failed with return value 2

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
        Doesn't seem to support kernel 3.15rc7 out of the box (I'll try that one patch for 3.14+ support)
        Works fine with the patch.

Tested on Xubuntu 14.04. Don't seem to see any new settings or anything. Not entirely certain, but Dota 2 seems to have slightly better framerate.

Should also mention that if you're using Hybrid graphics on Ubuntu 14.04, you may want to stop gpu-manager from interfering with xorg.conf
        Last edited by Espionage724; 05-27-2014, 12:40 PM.

Comment

How does Witcher2 perform with 14.6?

Comment

Now avaible from AMD:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/downloa...alyst-packages

Comment

Open Issues:

DOTA 2 may hang while playing on the AMD Radeon 7900 or AMD Radeon R9 280X
              It also hanged on my 7850.

The whole story is: I installed the driver with the package method on Ubuntu 14.04. Rebooted. Wow. I was really impressed. I had tear-free desktop with Catalyst. Finally! Everything was smooth and worked and my fans are sooo quiet. Then I tried Dota 2. Had about 20fps until the system hanged completely (about 1 min). Rebooted. And once again I'm welcomed with desktop tearing and enabling the Tear-free desktop results in my windows following the mouse cursor mileees away. So, either this will be solved until the final release, or I seriously can't use this card anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
                How does Witcher2 perform with 14.6?
                With 7770, no 5 seconds long lag spikes anymore, but performance is still maybe 20% of what I had under Windows last time I had one on this machine.

Comment

I have a under/overscan option for my laptop's built-in screen now (didn't check if it existed with 14.4).

Comment

Still having severe graphics corruption/black screens when playing videos over a certain player size.
                    But KDE animations feel a bit smoother with the new driver on my R9 290.

Comment

Originally posted by majod View Post
                      It also hanged on my 7850.
                      I just got done playing a 30-minute match of Dota 2 a little bit ago; no hangs. Was there anything in-particular you were doing when it hung?

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                        I just got done playing a 30-minute match of Dota 2 a little bit ago; no hangs. Was there anything in-particular you were doing when it hung?
                        Farming Anti-mage :P No, but seriously. Dota 2 has terrible performance for in with fglrx. Mesa runs seriously smoother. On the other hand, Portal 2 is as good as on Windows with fglrx, with mesa not as much.

Comment

Originally posted by majod View Post
                          Farming Anti-mage :P No, but seriously. Dota 2 has terrible performance for in with fglrx. Mesa runs seriously smoother. On the other hand, Portal 2 is as good as on Windows with fglrx, with mesa not as much.
                          Mesa may not be as good as fglrx for Portal 2, but I had no problems playing through the last few hours of Portal 2 on my 7850 a few weeks ago (x6 1055t, 8GB, radeonsi/llvm from xorg-edgers on ubuntu gnome 14.04). Framerates were fluid at all times.

Comment

Dota 2 on my 7850 was pretty smooth on both mesa and fglrx; I think both were around the same FPS for the most part (fglrx might of been a tiny bit higher).

Dota 2 on my laptop with 7660G + 7670M however is a different story. On fglrx, the framerate climbs up, then drops gradually, and repeats (basically, it goes between 50 and 10 FPS, kind of like a slow stutter I guess). With mesa, the FPS just remains pretty low.

Comment

All I would like..

I'll test this one, but I don't have high hopes.

All I would like is for the f*king desktop to work properly.

I've got an R9 270 - and I'd expect the thing to just run without tearing - and be able to play youtube videos - in full screen without 1980s performance.

I think I'll swap it for an NVidia card, because I need my computer to work.

Seriously - AMD: Fix your damn software or open source it so the rest of us can.

-bms

Comment

Working...
                              X