Catalyst 14.6 Beta Now Available For AMD Linux Gamers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Agross View Post
    OK, I've done some 'subjective' tests trying to evaluate my feeling of how an AMD APU under Linux handles agains an i7 Mobile + geforce under Windows.
    Before you go crazy about the disparity of the two systems hear me out.

First, the two systems :

1. Desktop :
    A10-6800K, 16G DDR3 1866, Samsung 840 SSD connected to a 2560 x 1080 Monitor.
    Debian 7 x64 kernel 3.2, Catalyst 14.6 beta.

3. Notebook :
    i7-4700MQ, 16G DD3 1600, Geforce 755M 2G GDDR5, Crucial 550 M.2 SSD connected to 1920 x 1080 Panel.
    Windows 8.1, Geforce 337 stable.

I used my Steam account on the desktop and a friend's account on the notebook in order to be able to run the same games in parallel.

For the disparities, for once, the i7m draws 45W in full load and the geforce 755M 50W - and running these games qualifies as full load - so that's ~95W.
    The A10 draws 100W in full load, which is not that much more. Also, the i7m has 4 cores / 8 threads, two of which can climb up to 3.2G 1+6M Cache, the dGPU is helped by much faster dedicated GDDR5, drives fewer pixel on the monitor and has a much faster NGFF SSD. Compare this to the A10 which has 4 cores, albeit at 4G , 4M cache, and an iGPU depended on DDR3, with a slower SSD ( connected via 'traditional' sata interface ) and driving far more pixels. Pile on this mature Nvidia/Windows drivers agains the duck-tape Linux Catalyst ...

I ran in parallel Civilisation 5 at the maximum resolution of the respective displays ( 2560 x 1080 A10/Linux vs 1920 x 1080 i7m+755m/Windows ) full details on Windows and everything except AA on Linux which still has some issues with this Catalyst. Still, even without AA, Civ 5 at 2560 x 1080 looks gorgeous and the gameplay is far more fluid than on Windows. The A10-6800k delivers a far better experience than the i7m+755m with only marginally more power draw.

TF2 and DOTA2 ( and, I suspect, all Source-based games ) run fine with everything except, again AA which causes glitches and visual artefacts. The games, indeed look better on Windows ( subjectively speaking ).

X-COM and Planetary Annihilation work fine but have glitches and I haven't found a combination of settings to make them go away.

Next on my list will be The Witcher 2 : Enhanced Edition.
    Great job on the tests It is nice reading.

I noticed an intresting thing yesterday. I have a A10-7850k computer with 8 gig of ram that i have been using for developement and for some DOTA2 gaming with my wife. I was running on Ubuntu 14.04 and I got pretty decent perfomance, I ran it at 1680x1050 with medium settings.

Then a friend of mine convinced me to try out Sabayon since the perfomance was much better. So I got curios and installed Sabayon (which was very easy and I got AMD Catalyst out of the box ).
    And now I am gaming on 1920x1080 and high details and I get about ~5fps more than on Ubuntu. And i have no problems with 2D tearing and stuff I had on Ubuntu. I am very suprised and very happy.

Comment

Catalyst 14.6 works fine (based on limited testing; at the very least, it installs fine) on Ubuntu 14.04 with Kernel 3.16rc3 also; still needs that kernel > 3.13 patch though of course.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
        Hi.
        Any known Catalyst 14.6 working out of box on kernel 3.14 without any path?
        Im trying generate pack (from official installer) for my deskrop Linux Mageia 4 64 but generare rpm failed Well I chope trying install basilcyn from .run file but I don't know what about kernel support. Any know?
        Did you make the necessary changes to the driver?

Check here, under "Installing Catalyst on kernel >=3.14.0 (3.14.2 including)"

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...lyst_package_2

The instructions are for Ubuntu, but regardless of distribution, you need to make the change to the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          Doesn't seem to support kernel 3.15rc7 out of the box (I'll try that one patch for 3.14+ support):

/var/lib/dkms/fglrx/14.200/build/make.log
          I ran in parallel Civilisation 5 at the maximum resolution of the respective displays ( 2560 x 1080 A10/Linux vs 1920 x 1080 i7m+755m/Windows ) full details on Windows and everything except AA on Linux which still has some issues with this Catalyst. Still, even without AA, Civ 5 at 2560 x 1080 looks gorgeous and the gameplay is far more fluid than on Windows. The A10-6800k delivers a far better experience than the i7m+755m with only marginally more power draw.

Comment

Hi.

All looks like AMD update catalyst driver. In website they are uploaded new revision amd catalyst 14.6 beta. I know latest 14,6 beta is available from may but now we have new build from jul. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx

Anyone testing this or know what new?

Comment

Ubuntu 14.04 and catalyst 14.4/14.6.
              A few days ago, eh ubuntu installed but the problem is in the catalyst, good and proper installation and then restart the pc. It erases all BIOS settings.
              Also start the "check button in memory motherboard" After all starts with purple ubuntu screen, but does not give the image.
              My PC is an AMD FX 8120 and 7870 asus motherboard Asus M5A88 diretcu-2 m. (32 sony bravia tv / lcd viewsonic 22 VX2240w). Hey tried this several times reinstall ubuntu 14.04 lts 3 times.
              Not much English so I apologize.

Comment

Originally posted by xpris View Post
                Hi.

All looks like AMD update catalyst driver. In website they are uploaded new revision amd catalyst 14.6 beta. I know latest 14,6 beta is available from may but now we have new build from jul. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...ta-driver.aspx

Anyone testing this or know what new?
                You should try

Comment

I installed it last night on Mint (Ubuntu) It still requires the file modification as outlined here http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...lyst_package_2 if you're using a 3.15.* or greater kernel.

Comment

I was happily running the 14.6 May release on Debian Jessie and Liquorix 3.14/3.15. This July one has issues with starting X though, too bad startx doesn't log by default.

Comment

The Witcher 2 with Catalyst 14.6 beta on A10-6800K

Continuing from previous posts, after TF2 and Civilization 5 I've tried the new release of The Withcher 2 : Enhanced Edition for linux. ( see previous posts in this thread about the linux machine hardware config )

Unfortunately, although the game is very stable, no crashes or or such, it is unplayable, even on medium-low settings at 1080p on the APU. I can get 12-16 fps at best.

This is why I don't get AMD's strategy. With what AMD CPU am I suppose to pair a mid-high end discrete Radeon GPU for these kinds of games ? The aging FX ? Why can't they release an 8-core Steamroller without the iGPU and either more L2 cache or 8MB L3 cache ? While the APUs havea lot of strengths, they can't really pull heavy duty graphics and AMD won't allow arbitrary crossfiring of iGPU and dGPU ( and it doesn't work correctly on linux anyway ).

If I put a dGPU in my system, the Catalyst driver 'automagically' disables the iGPU and I'm left with an 'FM2 Athlon x4' ... I just looked around to see if AMD launched updated versions of the FX and there are still the same old 120-220W (!) Bulldozers from the Bronze Age.

Comment

Continuing from previous posts, after TF2 and Civilization 5 I've tried the new release of The Withcher 2 : Enhanced Edition for linux. ( see previous posts in this thread about the linux machine hardware config )

Unfortunately, although the game is very stable, no crashes or or such, it is unplayable, even on medium-low settings at 1080p on the APU. I can get 12-16 fps at best.

This is why I don't get AMD's strategy. With what AMD CPU am I suppose to pair a mid-high end discrete Radeon GPU for these kinds of games ? The aging FX ? Why can't they release an 8-core Steamroller without the iGPU and either more L2 cache or 8MB L3 cache ? While the APUs havea lot of strengths, they can't really pull heavy duty graphics and AMD won't allow arbitrary crossfiring of iGPU and dGPU ( and it doesn't work correctly on linux anyway ).

If I put a dGPU in my system, the Catalyst driver 'automagically' disables the iGPU and I'm left with an 'FM2 Athlon x4' ... I just looked around to see if AMD launched updated versions of the FX and there are still the same old 120-220W (!) Bulldozers from the Bronze Age.
                        They are working on a new architecture that should come out in 2016. Apparantly they are just trying to bide time until then... And they make more money on APU:s then FX...sp thats why they do it like this...(at last this is how I understand it)

Comment

See previous articles about The Witcher 2 on Linux - it is low performance port, approved by many people .

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTczOTE
                          Last edited by dungeon; 07-19-2014, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X