Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not able to change brightness in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory with fglrx 8.41+ driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not able to change brightness in Wolfenstein Enemy Territory with fglrx 8.41+ driver

Hello, please be patient with me, I'm a linux noob

I installed the AMD Catalyst 7.11 Linux Driver on my openSUSE 10.3 box(but I also have the same issue with the fglrx 8.41 and above) through the manual install following this guide http://en.opensuse.org/ATI

It installed fine so I checked to see if was working with fgl_glxgears .. OK

I started Wolfenstein Enemy Territory..Game loaded, OK

The screen was rather dark(compared to how it was when I had the fglrx 8.40 driver installed) and tried to change the level of brightness both from option menu and the console with r_gamma 2.0(keep in mind that the level of brightness on my laption is set to max) but nothing happens it remains dark whatever

The funny thing is I could change the brightness in ET when I had the 8.40 driver installed without any problems

I was wondering if anyone else was having the same issue and, is there a solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hardware: Inspiron 6000 + Ati Radeon X300 Mobility 64Mb
    Operating System: openSUSE 10.3

You just needed to scroll down.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6543

Exactly the same problem. No one answered. It seems to be a known issue but it hasn't been fixed in 7.11. If you are able to, use the opensource drivers, they let you change the brightness. Very weak of AMD.

Comment

Just had to scroll down a bit.

I have the exact same problem. It seems to be a known issue but it's not fixed in 7.11. You can only downgrade (which is not that easy, at least not for me) or use the open source drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by kelnoky View Post
        Just had to scroll down a bit.

I have the exact same problem. It seems to be a known issue but it's not fixed in 7.11. You can only downgrade (which is not that easy, at least not for me) or use the open source drivers.
        LOL! Yeah I saw it straight after posting the question..Talking about being lazy

Let's hope this annoying issue will be fixed when they release version 8.44

I reverted back to fglrx 8.40.4 for the moment which at least works.

Cheers.

Comment

no one knows the answer?
          is there a solution to this?

Comment

I upgraded to 7.12 just now where that issue is supposed to be fixed. But I still can't change the brightness in ET.

Comment

I tend to use the Catalyst control panel to adjust the brightness before I run games like Tremulous.

Comment

Which is at least a workaround, not a solution.

Comment

Originally posted by kelnoky View Post
                  Which is at least a workaround, not a solution.
                  Yeah, I tried the workaround but it doesn't work with RTCW Enemy Territory under openSUSE 10.3 and Catalyst 7.12

The driver seems to works fine because I can see the 3D rotating box with fgl_glxgears but I can't change brightness in game :-(

Amd PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this issue as it's holding me(and others) from upgrading to the latest drivers.

Cheers!
                  Last edited by brainspire; 12-26-2007, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brainspire View Post
                    Yeah, I tried the workaround but it doesn't work with RTCW Enemy Territory under openSUSE 10.3 and Catalyst 7.12

The driver seems to works fine because I can see the 3D rotating box with fgl_glxgears but I can't change brightness in game :-(

Amd PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE fix this issue as it's holding me(and others) from upgrading to the latest drivers.

Cheers!
                    I had the same problem with Call of Duty and other Wine-powered games that ran in full screen mode, but 7.12 fixed it for me and I can now change the brightness. But before that I noticed that it worked just fine in windowed mode, so try changing the game to windowed, it might set the brightness right.

Comment

Originally posted by anyone View Post
                      I had the same problem with Call of Duty and other Wine-powered games that ran in full screen mode, but 7.12 fixed it for me and I can now change the brightness. But before that I noticed that it worked just fine in windowed mode, so try changing the game to windowed, it might set the brightness right.
                      Thank you very much for replying. I'll try it out ;-)

Comment

Working...
                      X