No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think we need both. Most of the bugs we're dealing with here are system specific. We are able to catch some on our in house test systems, beta testers catch more, but some will only happen on a user system outside the beta program. That's what ati.cchtml.com is for.

Users file bugs with detailed system info which gives us a chance of reproducing and fixing the problems. If/when the problem is fixed, the user closes the bug. If not, they either update the bug periodically or it becomes stale. It's very hard for someone not seeing the problem to keep the bug report up to date.

Comment

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      I think we need both. Most of the bugs we're dealing with here are system specific. We are able to catch some on our in house test systems, beta testers catch more, but some will only happen on a user system outside the beta program. That's what ati.cchtml.com is for.

Users file bugs with detailed system info which gives us a chance of reproducing and fixing the problems. If/when the problem is fixed, the user closes the bug. If not, they either update the bug periodically or it becomes stale. It's very hard for someone not seeing the problem to keep the bug report up to date.
      some little point is wrong.

the users needs to report the bug before release in the beta time phase not after the release!

and then if all bugs fixed the release will come OK....

but catalyst/fglrx works different...
      every new release brings new bugs and all reported bugs on ati.cchtml.com are old to old to be relevant in the future software development!

the 9.9 catalyst was a pure release political disaster..

the driver was finish 3 weeks before release!

and the much better 9.10 beta release come 1 week before 9.9 release but....

no full featured 9.10 beta release .. no.. no an ubuntu only release.
      ubuntu-only(9.10) release= kick in the ass for ALL other non ubuntu9.10 users ....

in my point of view only bug-reports specific for the 9.10 beta supports the DEV...

bug-reports for an 9.9 do not support the DEV because the 9.9 is fully obsolete .

there is only 1 way to go... bring a beta BEFORE release the users send bug-reports amd fix the bugs and after that the release is coming.

bug-reports for an old-stable version with old kernel and old overall old old old like old software and old bugs in the other part in the os brings old-backward thinking superbugs with no realistic relevant better work future diver-versions.

so again in little understanding words bring a beta users test it and send bug-reports after that fix the bugs bring a beta again.. users send bug-reports... after all bugs are gone.. driver release!

thats so simple!

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        the users needs to report the bug before release in the beta time phase not after the release!

and then if all bugs fixed the release will come OK....
        Why not just ask them to cure cancer while they're at it? And maybe bring world peace too? It's practically impossible to hit every use case every user has in mind. Release versions are always buggy, period. Sure, you can probably stabilize it very far by doing what some enterprise distros do with their software, as in freeze the inclusion of new features for so long users get frustrated, but who would be happy if ATi announced there will be no new features for the next year, only bug fixes? (features including support for new kernels and X.org versions) The only other alternative is that each version has a bit different bugs but all have bugs. (regressions happens)

Comment

• Well just some bugs get never fixed like absolutely bad xv support in fglrx. For dvd res you can use the workaround and use opengl playback with vsync forced, but for vc1/h264 in fullhd it is definitely NOT working with a ATI 3450 - maybe for faster cards. xv support is critical, even when the cpu is fast enough for decoding. It worked much better with the older cards with hardware xv support.

Comment

• I really don't have any problems with xv, other than I like the colours of opengl better (this is using mplayer, btw). I use xv with xine too, no worries there.

Comment

• Maybe thats more extreme with PAL (25 Hz) content, don't know.

Comment

• I might just not notice it too much - I used to see some bad screen splits, so maybe it's just that they're not as bad now (i.e not enough to distract me from watching). Most of my dvd's are PAL.

Comment

• There are no screen splits, that's tearing which happens when vsync is off and that annoys me extremely as the radeon oss driver does it much better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

Comment

• Need help installing fglrx on RHEL 5.2 x86 for a radeon 9250. Getting "Fatal: error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/s.6.18-92.el5PAE/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): cannot allocate memory" using fglrx64_6_8_0-8.28.8-1.x86_64.rpm. Is it me, or is there something wrong with the card or driver?

Comment

• You're trying to install fglrx 8.28.8? I mean... seriously?

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                        You're trying to install fglrx 8.28.8? I mean... seriously?
                        seriously. The card only came with a Windows driver CD. Went to AMD and followed their process for identifying the OS and card model to the driver download. If that's a bad idea, I'd appreciate any information that will help me get the card working.

Thanks.

Comment

• @dseeland: Depending on what you want to do, you're probably much better of with the free radeon driver (called xf86-video-ati on most distributions). It wont give you the same 3d-performance as the fglrx-blob, but in general is much more stable and snappier when it comes to 2d-tasks (and compiz/compositing effects). And looking at you're graphic-card it doesn't seem as if you want to do any heavy 3d tasks on that box.
                          There are howtos on the web on installing it for most distributions.

Edit: Oh, and if you _really_ want to use fglrx (you don't, trust me): I think this "cannot allocate memory" error message usually comes up if the radeon or drm kernel-module is still loaded. try lsmod | grep radeon and lsmod | grep drm to see if that's the case.
                          Last edited by Zhick; 09-22-2009, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• I'd also recommend the free driver if you don't have any special needs (but RHEL is pretty outdated regarding that I think).

The fglrx 8.28.8 you tried to install is over three years old. Try this driver:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run

Comment

• 8.28.8 is the correct driver. 9-3 is for R300 to R500 but not for his card.

Comment

• radeon 9250... i have that card laying around somewhere... and I'm going to have to say use the radeon driver not the fglrx... getting that installed was a nightmare and the radeon driver was so much faster... if your going to be gaming(which you won't be with that card), then might i suggest an upgrade to a better card?

Comment

Working...
                                X