Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Ask ATI" dev thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • turn off the display contents on resizing and windows resizing will be fast. Don't use compiz and all window operations (except manual resizing) will be fast. Don't use composite and all window operations will be fast.

    Comment


    • My question to the ATI devs - will there be any support for geometry shaders in the near future, and if so how soon? from what I've heard, ati provides apis in D3D (windows), but doesnt provide the extension for OpenGL.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by ech0s7
        Why Compiz with hd3470 is VERY SLOW ? It's a problem of driver ?
        (i'm refering to resize window, open window, close window...etc..)
        Why ?

        Thanks!
        Originally posted by energyman View Post
        turn off the display contents on resizing and windows resizing will be fast. Don't use compiz and all window operations (except manual resizing) will be fast. Don't use composite and all window operations will be fast.
        energyman,
        yours it is not an answer! It is like saying the computer doesn't works and like solution turn off it.

        Comment


        • yes, it is an answer - you want fast manually window-resizing? then turn off 'show window contents on resize' or don't use effects. It is really that simple. And the first one a workaround that won't hit you hard, if you really *need* to use effects.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by energyman View Post
            yes, it is an answer - you want fast manually window-resizing? then turn off 'show window contents on resize' or don't use effects. It is really that simple. And the first one a workaround that won't hit you hard, if you really *need* to use effects.
            The true problem is that this driver are not to the same level of the driver for windows or of the driver nvidia or quite of the driver open-source radeonhd! Instead to say turn off the windows effects why you don't work to increase the fglrx performance on linux in order to be equal to catalyst for windows?
            I have confronted the driver fglrx and radeonhd on my card on linux and the second ones are 7 faster times in 2D! and if you would i post you the test results.

            Comment


            • how should *I* work on fglrx?

              Comment


              • Can we call energyman's suggestions a workaround for now and everyone be happy with that ?

                I think we probably need to add EXA support to fglrx in order to get a serious improvement in 2D performance.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                  Can we call energyman's suggestions a workaround for now and everyone be happy with that ?

                  I think we probably need to add EXA support to fglrx in order to get a serious improvement in 2D performance.
                  Is in your plain to add EXA support to fglrx in the future ?

                  thanks

                  Comment


                  • just what I wanted to ask: exa in fglrx? too long/difficult?

                    and please recall me why is KMS not probable to enter fglrx, I can't find the answer in the forum archives

                    thanks

                    Comment


                    • Yes, please add EXA (XRender) acceleration to fglrx!!

                      Right now, its the only driver not accelerating advanced 2D at all, my XRender benchmarks show on my HD3850+fglrx usually 50% to 10% of the performance of my integrated intel-945GM shared memory chipset!

                      Everybody (nvidia, intel, sis and via) has fast 2D, and the open-source radeon driver has it too - only fglrx falls back for anything more complex than simple blits :-/

                      Fix this!

                      - Clemens

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X