Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 7.11 Linux Driver

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • But: some older 2.6.22 Debian kernels failed to build kernel modules due to a GPL error, I hope you have got a working one...

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Kano View Post
      But: some older 2.6.22 Debian kernels failed to build kernel modules due to a GPL error, I hope you have got a working one...
      I run a 2.6.22-3 kernel (the one that entered the testing branch today), and I re-installed 8.40-4 fglrx-driver with module-assistant without any problem, so I guess I'm ok, right?

      Comment


      • That should be fine then. You can use any driver with -v option. For kernel 2.6.22 and xserver 1.3 this should be down to 8.33.6 possible (unoffically) or down to 8.37.6 (offically).

        Comment


        • My goal is to install Catalyst 7.11 so it's ok.

          I'll do it tonight, I'm still at work

          Thanks a lot for all the help.

          Comment


          • Dear Kano

            I used your script yesterday and almost everything went fine. Let me explain :

            one the binary has been downloaded from AMD/ATI website, the script launched the distro package building. And I let you imagine how surprised I was when I read on my screen "building package Ubuntu/Edgy . Anyway, I let the script finish its job, rebooted the computer and then noticed that everything worked fine since X started properly and glxgears gives way better framerates. At this moment I thought : "oh my goodness the nightware is over, Kano is my god" .

            So, I start WoW just to see how it works, and unfortunaly I noticed no difference compared to drivers 8.40-4 taken from Testing deposit .

            So, I checked the driver version in synaptic, and noticed that the installed one was not named "fglrx-8.433" nor "Catalyst-7-11", but was named "xorg-fglrx-433". I guess it's not that important, but I wanna make progresses and learn stuff about linux so I won't need to bother ppl with questions, I guess you know what I mean

            So, maybe my performance problem doesn't come from fglrx drivers, but maybe from my computer configuration (xorg.conf or something else, I still have no idea).

            Thanks again for that script, I'll keep it for next Catalyst releases. If you have answers about my wonderings, feel free to tell

            Comment


            • There are only a few different variants of the driver stored in the package, the newest one is the edgy target for Ubuntu and all newer ones. As this is for Xorg 7.1 and newer I use that if my script finds Xserver Xorg 7.1/1.3/1.4. The diff between Debian and Ubuntu targets are mainly the packagenames created. When you use Debian target these will be updated via apt-get. Also the Debian targets have been broken very often (like missing symlinks or whatever). The version number is correct of the package with 8.433 - only the installer has been renamed AFTER packageing. Thats a change I really dislike, because the packages get the build number not the name of the installer. So that renaming was pretty much useless and only requires an extra workaround in my script. Before -v VER was in the package names created too.

              Comment


              • Ok, thank you for the answer.

                And again : thx for that script.

                Comment


                • Anyway, did someone see any performance improvement for that kind of card between 8.40 and 8.42 or 7-11? Just so I know if the problem comes from my hardware or a configuration problem...

                  Thx all.

                  Comment


                  • I got a huge performance boost from repo drivers to the 7.11. The thing is that I found something is leaking memory now, and WoW crashes after a bit of playing. I going to mess with Xorg.conf to see if I can stop the leaking (Composite "Enabled" maybe causing the leak?)

                    My card is a X1400 Mobility

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by cjr2k3 View Post
                      I got a huge performance boost from repo drivers to the 7.11. The thing is that I found something is leaking memory now, and WoW crashes after a bit of playing. I going to mess with Xorg.conf to see if I can stop the leaking (Composite "Enabled" maybe causing the leak?)

                      My card is a X1400 Mobility
                      Ok, so I guess my problem is due to the .deb generated by the official binary... All I have to do now is to wait for 7.11 to migrated to testing repo (4 days to go! )

                      I still have hope.

                      Thanks a lot, and let me know the results of your xorg.conf investigation.

                      Comment


                      • The ATI*.RUN package that Kano's script downloads from ATI, has package build functionality in it. When Kano's script calls ATI*.RUN --buildpkg Ubuntu/edgy, the ATI script generates 4 files, 3 of which are needed for install. The driver it self, starts with Xorg, you will have fglrx-kernel*.deb and fglrx-amdccc*.deb packages installed as well. Which should have the latest version numbers on them. Hope that sheads light, and yes Kano's script has saved me on multiple Debian systems from headach.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by toxigenicpoem View Post
                          The ATI*.RUN package that Kano's script downloads from ATI, has package build functionality in it. When Kano's script calls ATI*.RUN --buildpkg Ubuntu/edgy, the ATI script generates 4 files, 3 of which are needed for install. The driver it self, starts with Xorg, you will have fglrx-kernel*.deb and fglrx-amdccc*.deb packages installed as well. Which should have the latest version numbers on them.
                          Indeed, I read the whole script and saw that it automatically does what I used to manualy do and a lot more. What I said is that maybe the package build fonctionnality given in ATI*.RUN doesn't generate the best .deb or something, so maybe that's why I don't have good performances with my hardware. After all, in ATI official release note it is said :
                          AMD recommends that this release of the AMD Catalyst™ Linux software driver not be used for distribution packages. Distributors should continue to use the AMD Catalyst™ Linux driver version 8.40.4
                          Hope that sheads light, and yes Kano's script has saved me on multiple Debian systems from headach.
                          That's why I keep the script for December release

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by lionheart View Post
                            Why Phoronix is all the time advertising these drivers with such emphasis? All the time I read words such as "great" "the drivers had a long run" etc etc followed by hate comments.

                            A bit comical, isn't it?
                            Actually, not comical at all. Because of few misleading news of new and *IMPROVED* ATI drivers on phoronix I bought x1650 naively thinking that ATI solved linux problems ages ago. I didn't read the forums, 'cause I had GF5700 which worked like perfectly, didn't even update the driver because when everything works who cares. Then entered the ATI world... Suddenly I couldn't watch HD rips because xv wasnt working properly, my tv and dvb card also stopped working because tvtime stopped working, found out that ATI OFFICIALLY says tvtime and mythtv WILL not work ?!?!?! Well what will ?!

                            I don't care about compiz and fancy stuff, but watching movies and 2d accel is pretty much basic stuff users expect, right ? According to ATI, no. Then I sold that crap x1650 and put green card in. There was couple of truthfull articles on phoronix, about the current state of ATI drivers, but when a new driver comes tu public you'll read just how great it is, you'll never find that critical piece if information "and we hope it will fix those many problems that plague ATI users".

                            Comment


                            • another amd propaganda victim

                              don't get caught by amd propaganda again.

                              also, amd boasts how fast their new "real" quad-core processors are.

                              the fact is barcelona runs super-pi 1M in 30s, while core 2 duo runs 1M in half time.

                              I would say amd is trying desperately to fix the linux graphic issue, but it's slow.

                              Don't buy anything from amd yet before a new stable open driver available. I bet it means no AMD in years.

                              Originally posted by absbrain View Post
                              Actually, not comical at all. Because of few misleading news of new and *IMPROVED* ATI drivers on phoronix I bought x1650 naively thinking that ATI solved linux problems ages ago. I didn't read the forums, 'cause I had GF5700 which worked like perfectly, didn't even update the driver because when everything works who cares. Then entered the ATI world... Suddenly I couldn't watch HD rips because xv wasnt working properly, my tv and dvb card also stopped working because tvtime stopped working, found out that ATI OFFICIALLY says tvtime and mythtv WILL not work ?!?!?! Well what will ?!

                              I don't care about compiz and fancy stuff, but watching movies and 2d accel is pretty much basic stuff users expect, right ? According to ATI, no. Then I sold that crap x1650 and put green card in. There was couple of truthfull articles on phoronix, about the current state of ATI drivers, but when a new driver comes tu public you'll read just how great it is, you'll never find that critical piece if information "and we hope it will fix those many problems that plague ATI users".

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by absbrain View Post
                                Actually, not comical at all. Because of few misleading news of new and *IMPROVED* ATI drivers on phoronix I bought x1650 naively thinking that ATI solved linux problems ages ago. I didn't read the forums, 'cause I had GF5700 which worked like perfectly, didn't even update the driver because when everything works who cares. Then entered the ATI world... Suddenly I couldn't watch HD rips because xv wasnt working properly, my tv and dvb card also stopped working because tvtime stopped working, found out that ATI OFFICIALLY says tvtime and mythtv WILL not work ?!?!?! Well what will ?!

                                I don't care about compiz and fancy stuff, but watching movies and 2d accel is pretty much basic stuff users expect, right ? According to ATI, no. Then I sold that crap x1650 and put green card in. There was couple of truthfull articles on phoronix, about the current state of ATI drivers, but when a new driver comes tu public you'll read just how great it is, you'll never find that critical piece if information "and we hope it will fix those many problems that plague ATI users".
                                I have used nvidia since the first geforce series and this build I went with an ati x1650 because I do not play games but wanted some eye candy. The last machine I worked on had a gf5200 in it and the only issues I had was needing to rebuild the driver from time to time. After building the new machine with the Ati x1650 Pro I have spent as much time fecking about with my setup as I have payed work in the past six months. Its not funny anymore, you have had plenty of chances to write adequate 2d support and so yesterday I purcahsed an 8600GT from amazon which arrived this morning. It is installed and working. All the eye candy works, everything just worked, just like that. How's that for support. It may not be the very fastst driver but it works and I have a working control panel that shows me among other things the gpu temperature. I'm off to nvidia forums again. Shame as I really wanted to give Ati a try but 8 months is long enough for the AMD management to decide just how commited they are to the Nix operating system.

                                If Nvidia keep getting it right in the Nix market they will have a business to support for a very long time because even the 7600 series still kicks incredible ass compared to what I have experienced so far from Ati. Two steps forward and one step back is not a way to keep customers. With so many laptops and notebooks using onbard Ati cards and AMD supporting nix one minute then only producing betas when it comes to the crunch is tale of a half hearted attempt to show that they are at least making an effort. The thing is that drivers don't make money, but if the cards aren't supported they will not sell. More and more people know now to come on forums and search before commiting their hard earned cash to the manufacturers who in my opinion are releasing hardware on us consumers in beta condition for us to test for them, at our expense simply because they do not have the resources to properly test the hardware they make because it is moving at such an alarming rate. No sooner are we, the consumer coming to accept one chipset then we are subjected to another, improved version, which was always the case since the majority of hardware today is already out of date long before it goes into manufacture. They don't usually release their best product first. Keeping something back is normal, however when it comes to drivers, if Ati could get it right with *nix they too could be enjoying a large aftermarket support so long as older cards could run at a decent speed without all the hassle, loops, hurdles, one step two steps, touch your nose and don't forget not to breath until its all finished.

                                Have fun waiting on Ati, if they are anything like Creative, then they will only ever commit to getting you lot out their faces.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X