Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 2013 Linux Graphics Driver Year-In-Review

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    And the catalyst still not support their muxless cards..
    Just one or 3 kind under specific conditions...

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Herem View Post
      I may be a hopeless customer but my 290X has already more than paid for itself mining Litecoins over the last couple of months and is actually worth more now than when I bought it.
      Unless you have cashed those litecoins in, it has not paid for itself at all yet (especially the way the crypto currencies fluctuate wildly in value.).

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by ldesnogu View Post
        I happily play World of Warcraft on my GTX 770 at 1920x1200 with all options to max in raid 25 with Wine. Of course it's not a very demanding game, but I bet I couldn't play it this way with any AMD GPU :-(
        Nothing to say, if you want use wine NVIDIA is your only option for now and appaprently in long time

        Comment


        • #14
          no source games

          irrelevant benchmarks without source games like cs and dota 2

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            Unless you have cashed those litecoins in, it has not paid for itself at all yet (especially the way the crypto currencies fluctuate wildly in value.).
            I cashed out everything I had at the end of November to treat the family for Christmas, so really the card paid for Christmas rather than paying for itself as I originally said

            I'm sitting on the coins I've mined since then, hopefully the rate will jump back up but if it crashes to nothing I've not really lost anything other than the cost of the electricity. For me it's just a bit of fun putting my PC to work for once rather than just using it for entertainment.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Andrecorreia View Post
              irrelevant benchmarks without source games like cs and dota 2
              Cut and paste time again.

              Phoronix does not benchmark <insert game here> because it does not have a benchmark mode for Linux or has a benchmark that is hard to automate. (For source, it is hard to automate I beleive).

              These tests use the following opengl levels.

              Unigine requires openGL 3.2 (and higher if available)
              Xonotic openGL 2.0
              Open Arena openGL ES

              As you can see, they cover a decent selection of the openGL feature set. Performance improvements (or regressions) detected by these benchmarks are likely to indicate improvements (or regressions) in other games using the same opengl level.

              If you want things to change. Please kindly ask game/benchmark developers to create a benchmark of their game engine that can be launched from the command line. Preferably one that is self contained so it can easily be transferred to the test machines.

              Comment


              • #17
                Damn did all of you wake up with sand in your panties? Seriously, everyone is nitpicking over the dumbest things or coming up with the worst ideas. Like really, boycotting until they fix things? AMD isn't giving linux users attention because they're already financially struggling and linux is not helping pay the bills. Even if their drivers were better in linux than they were in windows, linux still wouldn't be helping them out enough.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                  Cut and paste time again.

                  Phoronix does not benchmark <insert game here> because it does not have a benchmark mode for Linux or has a benchmark that is hard to automate. (For source, it is hard to automate I beleive).

                  These tests use the following opengl levels.

                  Unigine requires openGL 3.2 (and higher if available)
                  Xonotic openGL 2.0
                  Open Arena openGL ES

                  As you can see, they cover a decent selection of the openGL feature set. Performance improvements (or regressions) detected by these benchmarks are likely to indicate improvements (or regressions) in other games using the same opengl level.

                  If you want things to change. Please kindly ask game/benchmark developers to create a benchmark of their game engine that can be launched from the command line. Preferably one that is self contained so it can easily be transferred to the test machines.
                  OpenArena does not use OpenGL ES! It uses OpenGL 1.x stuff.

                  Xonotic needs some OpenGL 3.x features to run best, but it can also run on OpenGL 2.x, OpenGL 1.x, Direct3D 9 and software renderer.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    AMD isn't giving linux users attention because they're already financially struggling and linux is not helping pay the bills.
                    Last I checked some AMD cards were again going out of stock, due to big demand from the altcoin miners. A fair amount of those mine under Linux.

                    Is that not Linux helping pay the bills?

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      is not a linux problem

                      is not a linux problem, is a amd problem. driver on windows suck too, bad render, bugs, crashs, crossfire dont works well etc etc. i give up from amd/ati gpu, they simply don t work (drivers ofc)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X