Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 13.12 GPU Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by LN17 View Post
    From where do you get, that they have only one guy who fixes the bugs? As I see Marek, Alex and other guys fixes hundreds defects a a year on the FOSS driver side. Is this is just assumption?
    I am assuming that. Because of the one-bug-fix every 3 days I counted above. I am NOT talking about the FOSS team - they make a great job from my point of view. I was only talking about catalyst. READ my post!

    Comment


    • #22
      Linux Mint 16

      Originally posted by Forage View Post
      Confirmed, got me the same error when trying to install the build packages in Ubuntu GNOME 13.10. Reverted to 13.11 9.4 beta again.
      And definitely not works with Linux Mint 16 and kernel 3.12.5
      Code:
      Building module:
      cleaning build area....
      cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.251/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=3.12.5-031205-generic --norootcheck.....(bad exit status: 1)
      [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-13.251 with DKMS
      [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-13.251 from DKMS
      
      ------------------------------
      Deleting module version: 13.251
      completely from the DKMS tree.
      ------------------------------
      Done.

      Comment


      • #23
        I'm glad to see v13.12 released even their dev team must be very small. Seeing the list of bug fixes from 13.11, I estimate the size of their team to 2-3 persons, max. Maybe 1 if the guy is very productive and motivated.

        I have logged a problem with XvBA that doesn't work at all for me. It must be very low in their list of priorities:

        http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=950

        As they will probably focus on openGL first. The AMD hardware situation is very frustrating right now. Each set of drivers have their strengths andf weaknesses.

        Sure if video hardware decoding was very important, I would go to the open source driver but by doing so, I would kiss goodby opencl and opengl performance.

        No idea how important economically the linux crowd is for AMD (probably small but growing) but I am personnally upholding a purchase a purchase of an AMD graphic card upgrade until they give adequate support to their new hardware (I'm thinking about R290X). With some luck, I'll uphold till the next gen hw!

        I'll give the driver a try. Maybe they will be some hidden surprises. Maybe I'll see a big fps increases with my games. If so, then I guess, I'll be overall happy.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by AJSB View Post
          I think people are sometimes too harsh with AMD and not so with NVIDIA...."Na'vi People" in flash anyone ?

          How much time did it took for Nvidia to fix it ?
          That was a Flash bug and NVIDIA only "fixed it" after it became apparent that Adobe had no interest in cleaning up their mess. And NVIDIA's fix was something like "if (program == flashplugin) { unDumbifyAdobesCrap(); }"

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by johnc View Post
            That was a Flash bug and NVIDIA only "fixed it" after it became apparent that Adobe had no interest in cleaning up their mess. And NVIDIA's fix was something like "if (program == flashplugin) { unDumbifyAdobesCrap(); }"
            Yeah i knew about be a Adobe Flash bug...but was only affecting some Nvidia cards and actually Nvidia launched a driver version that they said would solve bug and i continued with the darn thing affecting a 9600GT for several more drivers and many months until it finally was solved...

            Comment


            • #26
              This driver is basicly the Beta 9.4 with some additional fixes, so don't expect huge changes.

              From what I have heard... the next driver based on a new branch and therefore including new features and performance improvements will be Catalyst 14.1 Beta and is scheduled for early-mid January. There have only been some minor fixes in the current branch since 13.11 Beta 6 which was released two months ago. I expect much improved OpenGL performance due to SteamOS, and maybe Valve can leak the driver early.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                This driver is basicly the Beta 9.4 with some additional fixes, so don't expect huge changes.

                From what I have heard... the next driver based on a new branch and therefore including new features and performance improvements will be Catalyst 14.1 Beta and is scheduled for early-mid January. There have only been some minor fixes in the current branch since 13.11 Beta 6 which was released two months ago. I expect much improved OpenGL performance due to SteamOS, and maybe Valve can leak the driver early.
                Thanks for the info about new branch and all !
                I was expecting something like that and precisely for reasons mentioned by you: "Valve Pressure" (pun intended )

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Agakonna View Post
                  And definitely not works with Linux Mint 16 and kernel 3.12.5
                  Code:
                  Building module:
                  cleaning build area....
                  cd /var/lib/dkms/fglrx/13.251/build; sh make.sh --nohints --uname_r=3.12.5-031205-generic --norootcheck.....(bad exit status: 1)
                  [Error] Kernel Module : Failed to build fglrx-13.251 with DKMS
                  [Error] Kernel Module : Removing fglrx-13.251 from DKMS
                  
                  ------------------------------
                  Deleting module version: 13.251
                  completely from the DKMS tree.
                  ------------------------------
                  Done.

                  Same DKMS issue in Ubuntu 13.10.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    For those with build issues, especially on Ubuntu/DKMS:

                    http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo....debian.tar.gz

                    Have a look in "/debian/dkms/patches/", especially "replace_acpi_table_handler.patch". It already landed in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS-dev.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
                      I got this error in make.log on Xubuntu 13.10 with these drivers:

                      13.11 9.4 beta drivers seem to be fine though

                      I too had a similar error with the 13.250 drivers with kernel 3.12+ (git), by manually patching the kcl_apci file it worked. the same fix probably applies to the 13.12 drivers. Its a hack..

                      build the debian packages using the installer..
                      dpkg-deb -x fglrx_13.250-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb extract/
                      dpkg-deb -e fglrx_13.250-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb extract/DEBIAN
                      patch the kcl_apci file (http://pastebin.com/YW2XtTpq)
                      fakeroot dpkg-deb -b extract fglrx_13.250-0ubuntu1_patched_amd64.deb

                      Now the package should install

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X