Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Puts Out A New Catalyst Linux Graphics Driver

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by mmstick View Post
    It's called open source radeon drivers. You should try it some time; works a lot better.
    I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
      I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.
      1) Did You tested 2D perf in both scenarios? Maybe r600g do not need to overclock it?
      2) File bug. Get to IRC. Maybe You will even get fix in 3h time

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        I have used legacy for about a year, a couple weeks ago I was finally forced to switch back to open source when upgrading Fedora 17 -> 19. As many people will say, 2D desktop performance is great (scrolling much smoother). However, my 2D engine only runs at about 70% of the catalyst speed (unless I use "high" profile). Also, timer queries perform really weird on the FOSS driver because even after a full frame cycle after having ended the query, the results will still not be available for quite some time (this never happened on legacy). Other than that the FOSS driver is pretty cool, and finally being relieved from the fear of Xorg/Kernel updates was definitely worth it.
        The open source drivers for AMD are so good for legacy GPUs that I was even able to use an ancient ATI RV370 from 2004 in a nearly 10 year old eMachine with Ubuntu 12.04.3 smoothly rendering Unity3D, and it actually ran a lot faster than a bare Xfce session or Unity2D.

        Meanwhile, my HD 4870 machine runs pretty awesomely with open source drivers; certainly better than Catalyst does on that card. Only thing is, to get the most out of open source drivers you do need to create an Xorg.conf, and it is a good idea to have the latest kernel.

        My Radeon HD 7950 runs fairly well on open source now, but it's still much better to use Catalyst. This new Catalyst driver fixed a lot of bugs I had with the last beta.

        Comment


        • #19
          how it works on unity? 2d performance? flash?

          Comment


          • #20
            Reading the 290 review, Catalyst driver still lacks a lot of performance.

            Comment


            • #21
              Just tried it on mine(290x).

              Yuotube vids full screen still a slide show. Not tested any games yet apart from valley benchmark. No difference in performance.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                This driver now officially supports Linux 3.12 and should work with non-Ubuntu distributions aswell. I also expect R9 290 improvements, but that is something for Michael to try.
                The previous release is working fine with 3.12. You just had to make sure that you didn't compile the kernel with CONFIG_UIDGID_STRICT_TYPE_CHECKS. This release is just a micro bug fixes release. Unless some undocumented enhancement is there, no chance the R9 290 situation will improve.

                With recent AMD moves to open up hw specs and adding devs to the open source driver effort I think that AMD long term goal for the drivers is obvious.

                However the transitory period is very painful. Each driver has its strength and weaknesses.

                Want good opengl perf and good opencl 1.2: Catalyst
                Want HW video decoding: open source

                I just found out that xvba not only do not support MPEG4, it just doesn't work at all for some time:
                http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=950

                I have a dream. Next week AMD will announce that it fully release the source code of catalyst. It that was to happen in less than a week, AMD would rule Linux graphics world with all the volunteers around the world fixing bugs and improving perfs. (It took less than 3 days after AMD release HDA controller for HDMI sound to have a working 7.1 HDMI sound driver!) Just dreaming....but would the best thing to happen for AMD product Linux owner...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by mmstick View Post
                  It's called open source radeon drivers. You should try it some time; works a lot better.
                  They only understand the wallet voting. So just hang in there and when you upgrade your system avoid AMD hardware. And tell your friends to do the same. Show them what you think about their way of making legacy...

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                    They only understand the wallet voting. So just hang in there and when you upgrade your system avoid AMD hardware. And tell your friends to do the same. Show them what you think about their way of making legacy...
                    Right embrace Nvidia's open source policies they are soo much better. oh wait...
                    If you want faster AMD development ie more devs then buy more AMD products and when taking the survey make sure to specify Linux.
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
                    Ben Franklin 1755

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      At last a working blob for a non Ubuntu 3.12 kernel!

                      openSuSE 13.1 x64 here, Kernel 3.12, Xorg server 1.14.3, Mesa 10.1 git, KDE 4.11.3, ATI Radeon HD 5850

                      Update: OpenGL 3.1 profile works finally at Kwin's properties! 2D with it and Raster color profile is much smoother than the past

                      Unigine Heaven 4.0 works better here than in Win 7 x64, on the contrary Valley is very slow here whereas at Win 7 it flies!

                      Installed via the automatic procedure (no package creation) amd installer.

                      No artifacts and bugs noticed yet

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                        openSuSE 13.1 x64 here, Kernel 3.12, Xorg server 1.14.3, Mesa 10.1 git, KDE 4.11.3, ATI Radeon HD 5850
                        Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                          Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).
                          I am an old one my friend! I used to translate compiz-fusion at Greek language back those days with Cyberorg from openSuSE building the packages and merging the strings. If you look at the defunct Compiz forums you will find me!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by djdoo View Post
                            I am an old one my friend! I used to translate compiz-fusion at Greek language back those days with Cyberorg from openSuSE building the packages and merging the strings. If you look at the defunct Compiz forums you will find me!

                            SO YOU'RE THE GUY!!!! Man do I have a bone to pick with you... just kidding. Glad you have started frequenting the forums here. We need more old timers coming over as there are several misconceptions about oS here (such as *buntu being a refined distro).

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                              Right embrace Nvidia's open source policies they are soo much better. oh wait...
                              And where exactly did you see me saying: "AMD policy on discontinuing not so old chipsets sucks" => "Nvidia's open source policies are better" ? Please provide a quote.

                              Originally posted by DarkFoss View Post
                              If you want faster AMD development ie more devs then buy more AMD products and when taking the survey make sure to specify Linux.
                              You got it the wrong way around.

                              BTW, to those proposing switching from Catalyst to FOSS for the "legacy" AMD chipsets - not everyone can afford losing 20% of performance, running low-end hardware (like pre 4xxx).

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                                Another openSUSE user. I remember when I was pretty much the only one here running it here. The number of openSUSE users here seem to be growing (which seems to reflect the resurgence of openSUSE in member base as a whole over the last few releases).
                                Hey, I have been around for a while as well. And I know there are more openSUSE users here, as seen in the default distro voting threads.

                                Originally posted by Bucic View Post
                                And where exactly did you see me saying: "AMD policy on discontinuing not so old chipsets sucks" => "Nvidia's open source policies are better" ? Please provide a quote.
                                You quoted someone talking about the FOSS drivers.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X