Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta

    Here it is:

    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etaDriver.aspx
    It also supports kernel 3.10 OOTB. Finally.

    Now, i installed it and i have some permission issues - if i run anything as my regular user, i cant use all OpenGl functions, i assume i have only the Mesa 2.1 support. But if i run as root, everything seems to be working.

    For example, running fglrxinfo as user:

    Code:
    $ fglrxinfo
    Setting of real/effective user Id to 0/0 failed
    libGL error: open uki failed (Operation not permitted)
    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7560D
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 (4.3.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.5)
    running it as root:

    Code:
    $ sudo fglrxinfo
    display: :0.0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7560D
    OpenGL version string: 4.3.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.5
    Same with games - slow as hell as user, fine as root.
    Previously i had the 13.6 installed, all was fine.
    I am part of the video group. Restarted countless times, reinstalled driver.
    xorg.conf is the default created.

    What should i check?

  • #2
    Ah, so it's not related to bumblebee.

    This is the same problem: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...984#post347984

    Comment


    • #3
      Definitely not - i have a desktop A8-5500.
      I now reinstall the 13.6 see if the issue persists.

      BTW i noticed that in the xorg logs the driver version was 13.20.4 whereas the OpenGl string is
      OpenGL version string: 4.3.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.5
      Maybe its not important.
      Last edited by gradinaruvasile; 08-01-2013, 05:57 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        So, back with 13.6.

        As user:
        Code:
        $ glxgears -info
        GL_RENDERER   = AMD Radeon HD 7560D
        GL_VERSION    = 4.2.12337 Compatibility Profile Context 13.101
        GL_VENDOR     = ATI Technologies Inc.
        Its definitely something wrong with the 13.8 version.

        Comment


        • #5
          Like the other thread, can you try:

          Code:
          chmod -R 777 /proc/ati
          and see if this improves the thing? I havent tested it yet, but will go home and test it today.

          Comment


          • #6
            So, is this permission issue specifically restricted to the 3.10 kernel and/or architecture?

            I have Debian Testing with kernel 3.10.4 64-bit, AMD 7560D IGP on A8-5500 APU.

            Comment


            • #7
              Solved

              I can confirm that the problem is solved by changing the /proc/ati permissions.

              Code:
              chmod -R 777 /proc/ati/

              On another note, the driver fixed no issues from the previous one. In flightgear, the clouds are still black! (Wasnt so in beta3)

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xtachx View Post
                I can confirm that the problem is solved by changing the /proc/ati permissions.

                Code:
                chmod -R 777 /proc/ati/

                On another note, the driver fixed no issues from the previous one. In flightgear, the clouds are still black! (Wasnt so in beta3)
                Well, thanks very much for that fix. I was having the same problem running kernel 3.10.5 and Catalyst 13.8 beta.

                Comment


                • #9
                  OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bit Catalyst 13.8

                  As user

                  Code:
                  XXXX@linux-n2go:~> fglrxinfo
                  display: :0  screen: 0
                  OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                  OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 
                  OpenGL version string: 4.3.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.5
                  $ fglrxinfo is something openSUSE does not understand

                  sudu fgrlxinfo

                  Code:
                  XXXX@linux-n2go:~> sudo fglrxinfo
                  root's password:
                  Error: unable to open display (null)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Same Here

                    Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                    OpenSUSE 12.3 64 bit Catalyst 13.8

                    As user

                    Code:
                    XXXX@linux-n2go:~> fglrxinfo
                    display: :0  screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series 
                    OpenGL version string: 4.3.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.5
                    $ fglrxinfo is something openSUSE does not understand

                    sudu fgrlxinfo

                    Code:
                    XXXX@linux-n2go:~> sudo fglrxinfo
                    root's password:
                    Error: unable to open display (null)
                    Code:
                    michal@linux-85f9:~> fglrxinfo
                    display: :0  screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7660D
                    OpenGL version string: 4.3.12438 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.5
                    
                    michal@linux-85f9:~> sudo fglrxinfo
                    Error: unable to open display (null)
                    [/QUOTE]

                    As you can see i have same problem on my 12.3 64bit, the fact that its my first day on opensuse is not helping. (13.8 worked just fine on Mint 15 kernel3.8)

                    Code:
                    OpenGL GLX Context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.
                    [/QUOTE]

                    Message i get while launching steam.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Lapinopl View Post

                      As you can see i have same problem on my 12.3 64bit, the fact that its my first day on opensuse is not helping. (13.8 worked just fine on Mint 15 kernel3.8)
                      I am not having problems, I was posting this code to show how it should look when the drivers are working right.

                      It seems I was to optimistic.

                      The only difference between you and me, I can think of, before I installed this beta driver, I had the last non beta driver installed, with the one click install. http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

                      But now on how to fix it.
                      Try this:
                      Build a rpm for openSUSE with the script provided,by sebastian-siebert


                      From this link,
                      http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx
                      Scroll down to: Building the rpm yourself.

                      Or use this page:
                      http://lizards.opensuse.org/author/bruno_friedmann/
                      Last edited by Gps4l; 08-15-2013, 08:26 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Solved for me.

                        Originally posted by Gps4l View Post
                        I am not having problems, I was posting this code to show how it should look when the drivers are working right.

                        It seems I was to optimistic.

                        The only difference between you and me, I can think of, before I installed this beta driver, I had the last non beta driver installed, with the one click install. http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx

                        But now on how to fix it.
                        Try this:
                        Build a rpm for openSUSE with the script provided,by sebastian-siebert


                        From this link,
                        http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AMD_fglrx
                        Scroll down to: Building the rpm yourself.

                        Or use this page:
                        http://lizards.opensuse.org/author/bruno_friedmann/
                        I did used this Sebastian Siebert script , Fglrxinfo output is same, but steam work fine (so does HL2:ep2, my benchmarking game) and it seems like its all working, it took me only 6hrs but all system configuration is done, even DVD playback was hard to configure, god suse is a one harsh lady:P Thanks for help guys

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X