Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD fglrx 8.42.3 - When will the baby mature ? - Experiences ..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardware: X1950 Pro and AMD Athlong 64 X2 processor.

Software: fully updated Ubuntu Feisty (64bit).

Experiences: slightly worse than 8.41.7

Good: glxgears appears to give me slightly higher fps.

Bad: while with the 8.41.7 driver, some versions of wine would work, with the 8.42.3 driver none of them are reliable. All Steam games that require D3D (even things as simple as Peggle!) crash, apparently on initialisation of the 3d layer itself through libGL.so.1

Indifferent: As with the 8.41.7 driver, the highest resolution my card will support is 1280x2253, despite the hardware being good for considerably higher resolutions. This is lower than the native resolution of my display, and hence irritating.

I've not tested AIGLX yet, as, frankly, a stable driver that actually supports reasonable resolutions is more important to me than a 3d accelerated desktop.

Comment

Alright, I'm back with some more things with the driver, and have ran into some bad things.

Hardware: AMD 64 2800+, 768MB of Ram, X1600XT AGP DDR3, Debian/Lenny 32-bit

Experiences: Very Positive, a awesome new beginning for AMD/ATI

Pros:

- OpenGL performance rocks. Its still not on par with the Windows driver though, and there seems to be some optimizing left to do, especially with anti aliasing enabled.

- 2d performance seems a bit better.

- AIGLX/Compiz support.

- Alot of the annoying bugs have been fixed such as the PCIE-AGP bridge detection problem. This also helped boost performance a ton for me since my card in all previous versions of the driver was running in PCI mode. It was slower than a Geforce FX 5500. Now it eats the Geforce FX 5500 for breakfast and comes back for seconds.

Cons:

- I'd have to say the worst problem that still remains is video playback performance. Now i'm sure its fine on 640x480 resolution movies, but when I tried to play a 720P HD movie, it was extremely slow, even in opengl. Eventually X crashed. This MUST be fixed next release.

- There were some Compiz issues as well. It seems like the driver tends to hesitate quite a bit with Compiz. For instance, load up Firefox/IceWeasel, and you will see the true definition of hell as you load a page or try to resize the browser window. Also try interacting with the icons on your desktop, I couldn't, plus, I would try to change the wallpaper on my desktop, and it wouldn't change until I turned off Compiz, it seems like the desktop, not gnome (or whatever window manager you use), freezes.

What I'd like to see in 8.43 (I know not all of this will probably make it, but at least some of it should hopefully.):

- I think #1 should be fix the video playback problems completely. Get arid of them. That should be #1 on the list now.

- Fix the bugs regarding Compiz.

- Performance Optimizations/anti aliasing optimizations and bring us Catalyst AI for increased performance.

- AVIVO color in the AMD Catalyst Control Center, this is pretty much the same deal as Digital Vibrance in the nVidia control panel. I like to bump this up a couple of ticks just to give my LCD some extra color but this is just a nit pick, since I'm a freak when it comes to colors on my display.

- Kernel 2.6.23 official support.

Comment

Originally posted by Z1Kenobi View Post
        Could you explain how , cause on my debian i cannot manage to get windows decoration working ...
        If you mean Compiz, I used a different repository for Compiz, check out this Debian repository, it only is running Compiz Fusion 0.5.5 right now but it does work, and has all the eye candy:

Beware, scrolling in Firefox or any browser is slow on this site, I do not know why, I would guess it has something to do with overlays.

http://shame.tuxfamily.org/repo/

Just remember about my problems I had with Compiz Fusion in my experiences post.

If you are having trouble accessing the site and just need the repository, here just add this to your sources.list and for all you other people reading, this is only for Debian!

Heres each one for each version of Debian, use the one that suits best for you.

Debian Sid (Unstable) - 32-bit and 64-bit:

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames...opfx/unstable/ ./

Debian Lenny (Testing) - 32-bit and 64-bit:

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames...opfx/unstable/ ./

Debian Etch (Stable) - 32-bit and 64-bit:

deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames...opfx/snapshot/ ./

And most importantly, the GPG Key:

GPG Key:

wget http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/A42A6CF5.gpg -O- | apt-key add -
        Last edited by Malikith; 10-24-2007, 05:13 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised about the large number of complaints across different chips, I didn't think it would be that bad.

In my case I was lucky in that at least on the kernel 2.6.22.x, it is running not bad.

I only enabled composite and it's working as it should (fast) in the case of the xfce compositor. I turned it off after testing it, but it seemed to be working well enough like with an nvidia card. AIGLX I haven't tested but I don't care about it at this point, I know it's upstart here.

The 3d performance in my case went up about 50% since 8.40.

The thing that is bothering me though is that vsync just seems to be getting worse and worse with each fglrx release. I try to run sdlmame and there are huge frame jumps peppered about. Pretty terrible in that case. Vsync is no good.

No problems with firefox scrolling, videos, or any other stuff so far. I suspect all that stuff are people using those silly patches for 2.6.23.

For now I have reverted this PC to the old kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
            I'm surprised about the large number of complaints across different chips, I didn't think it would be that bad.

In my case I was lucky in that at least on the kernel 2.6.22.x, it is running not bad.

I only enabled composite and it's working as it should (fast) in the case of the xfce compositor. I turned it off after testing it, but it seemed to be working well enough like with an nvidia card. AIGLX I haven't tested but I don't care about it at this point, I know it's upstart here.

The 3d performance in my case went up about 50% since 8.40.

The thing that is bothering me though is that vsync just seems to be getting worse and worse with each fglrx release. I try to run sdlmame and there are huge frame jumps peppered about. Pretty terrible in that case. Vsync is no good.

No problems with firefox scrolling, videos, or any other stuff so far. I suspect all that stuff are people using those silly patches for 2.6.23.

For now I have reverted this PC to the old kernel.
            My experience was similar to yours, except with HD Videos, those were slow. And no I'm not using 2.6.23 I'm using 2.6.22.

By the way guys, heres a screenshot of Compiz Fusion running on my system with the new driver:

http://bloodytampon.servegame.com/pics/compizfusion.png

Comment

Hi everybody,
              well same here by using openSUSE 10.3+xorg-7.2+fglrx8.42.3
              worked after reboot, but didn`t work anymore on the morning aafter i boot computer, well i guess/know that there is that one lib.. to much i guess, little bit of laisyness..

Ps sorry about my bad" english

Comment

OK, seems I condemned the driver to early in the other thread. The screen corruption seems to have been triggered by the doom3 demo; the weird thing is that it persisted even over a cold reboot! My other issues were results of incorrect libGL symlinks (slap myself, I should be using linux long enough to be aware of stuff like this).

The only other remaining real issue for now (didn't test aiglx) are the dysfunctionality of driconf, but now that amdcccle works, this is not an issue anymore.

My machine is a Thinpad T60, X1300 mobility, Core Due (NO Core2), gentoo stable, kernel 2.6.20, xorg-server 1.2

Comment

Hardware: mobility x1600 m56 on nc8430
                  Distribution: kubuntu 7.10

- XV is still broken, diagonal tearing..I read that you have working xvideo on r5xx series... Are you sure that you are using xv output for mplayer and not x11 -> this one works ok but CPU usage is high...you don't notice that on regular workstation but on notebook fans kick in very quickly -> annoying during watching the movie

- video playback crashed Xserver once
                  - "garbage" in lower right, around mouse cursor AND new one, upper left corner
                  - DualHead is working now OK for me
                  - TV out is not detected any more
                  - AIGLX is working, but it is sooooooo slow
                  - 3D park is workig OK,i guess... ET:QW is running fine
                  - 2D-desktop performance is still worse than with avivo/radeonhd
                  - amdcccle crashed few times

mile@ubuntu:~$ amdcccle
                  Segmentation fault (core dumped)

(gdb) bt
                  #0 0xb7d7d454 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
                  #1 0x0007de21 in ?? ()
                  #2 0x07383353 in ?? ()
                  #3 0xb7f07ff4 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                  #4 0xb7d7b5b0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
                  #5 0xb7eb7ac0 in ?? ()
                  #6 0xbff6d290 in ?? ()
                  #7 0xb7ef9e73 in ?? () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
                  #8 0xb7d7d58a in XRRGetScreenInfo () from /usr/lib/libXrandr.so.2
                  #9 0x081611df in CDisplayDriver::GetResolutionList()
                  #10 0x08187229 in CDisplayRule::GetDriverData ()
                  #11 0x08185ec7 in CDisplayRule::Initialize ()
                  #12 0x081554fc in CLDC::Initialize ()
                  #13 0x08153e04 in main ()

Comment

If you mean Compiz, I used a different repository for Compiz, check out this Debian repository, it only is running Compiz Fusion 0.5.5 right now but it does work, and has all the eye candy: .....
                    I have the same rep as you and the same compiz so , testing for me .

It start but all the window decorations are removed..

The most strange thing it is that yerterday before going to bed i managed to launch it once , i saw the beutifull
                    logon and then i had all plugions enable but now it is impossible for me to use it anymore ???

Could you post your xorg so i could check

ps : debian/testing ati mobylity radeon hd2400 gnome

Comment

Originally posted by mile View Post
                      Are you sure that you are using xv output for mplayer and not x11 -> this one works ok but CPU usage is high...
                      In my case I'm pretty sure it's xv. I rarely watch any videos other than youtube but the only movie player I have, totem-xine, is playing movies as usual, and unless 5% cpu usage is high (on a P4), then it should be xv. But like I said, I don't watch many movies. I use more 2d renderings in opengl and vsync is stinky. Why is it that always what you use is what messes up in a driver?

Also, I see a lot of people still using glxgears as some sort of benchmark. The truth is it's all but worthless as a benchmarking tool. It's not meant for that. Very limited if anything. You need to run some 3d games with fps counters for a better relative test at least - or something like that.

Oh and I tried AIGLX and ran beryl. It worked pretty fast. But that's maybe because the background goes black. I disabled AIGLX no, never really used it and hopefully it will improve anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Moronix View Post
                        Also, I see a lot of people still using glxgears as some sort of benchmark. The truth is it's all but worthless as a benchmarking tool. It's not meant for that. Very limited if anything. You need to run some 3d games with fps counters for a better relative test at least - or something like that.
                        Hey, I would, except that most of the 3d games I have I have to run through wine... and this driver broke that for me. So, glxgears is all I can give.

Comment

@Moronix
                          5% is xv for sure, x11 uses more than 50% cpu on my C2D

I don't know which card do you have but r5xx does not have separate hardvare for video playback,it is all "done" with 3D.... I think they realized this was stupid idea and R600 has it again....I am not sure

lets hope ATI won't forget us with r5xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Z1Kenobi View Post
                            I have the same rep as you and the same compiz so , testing for me .

It start but all the window decorations are removed..

The most strange thing it is that yerterday before going to bed i managed to launch it once , i saw the beutifull
                            logon and then i had all plugions enable but now it is impossible for me to use it anymore ???

Could you post your xorg so i could check

ps : debian/testing ati mobylity radeon hd2400 gnome
                            Heres my xorg.conf

Heres a few key things to check on (The things to look for will be in bold text and underlined):

Code:
                            Section "ServerLayout"
                            	Identifier     "Default Layout"
                            	Screen      0  "aticonfig-Screen[0]" 0 0
                            	InputDevice    "Generic Keyboard"
                            	InputDevice    "Configured Mouse"
                                    Option "AIGLX" "on"
                            EndSection

Section "Extensions"
                                    Option  "Composite"  "Enable"
                            EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
                                    Option  "AIGLX" "true"
                            EndSection

Comment

I'm also having firefox scrolling issues but I'm also experiencing Xorg crashes.

I noticed that this doesn't crash anymore so often, perhaps because I dropped desktop cube from compiz. With cube (or two cubes here because of dualhead) it crashed very easily if I had rhythmbox window wider that 2000 pixels.

It's strange how expose function works well whenever mozilla is unfocused but is very sluggish when mozilla (thunderbird or firefox) window has focus.

How many of you are running dualhead configuration?

My configuration is Lenovo T60/2GB RAM/Core2Duo 2GHz/M-RadeonX1400/1680x1050widescreen +external Eizo S2111W + Ubuntu Gutsy.

Comment

software : debian / testing with compiz fusion from tux repo

Hardware : ati mobility radeon hd 2400 / core 2 duo 7300

Exprience :

-Compiz work but only under kde , it worked once under gnom (not the first time) but since i can t get any windows decorations..?????
                                -Firefox : not so slow on my comp regarding the other experiences
                                -Wine : working fine but only if launch from "/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator"
                                -Others : can not launch a graphicl application from a terminal (ex gedit) except if launched from "/usr/bin/gksu -u root /usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator"

Opinion : Will wait 1 days to see if there are some solutions to the wine and gnome/compiz problem , if not i ll get back to 8.41.7

Comment

Working...
                                X