Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.42.3 and FireGL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Same problem here. Mobility FireGL T2 with ChipID 1002:4e54, using the Mobility 9600 ID: 1002:4c66.

    My name ist Llogi, btw. Following this forum for some month now. That damn driver led me to my first post here.

    At first I applied Ambro814s patch http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5203.

    Instead of "./ati-installer.sh 8.41.7 --install" I built the package using "./ati-installer.sh 8.41.7 --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy" following the instructions from here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...allation_Guide

    I even linked the libGL like You told some posts before.

    Unfortunatley I don't even see the XServer. I get kicked to console before the login-screen appears.


    Questions: how EXACTLY do I have to type the ChipID? 1002:4c66, 0x4c66 or just 4c66?

    BTW: Following exatly the instruction of Ambro814 with "--install" instead of "--buildpk" did not work either.


    Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

    Comment


    • #17
      Post has not been eaten. Sorry for doubleposting.
      Last edited by Llogi; 10-24-2007, 07:53 AM.

      Comment


      • #18
        Maybe I was just lucky, but...

        Originally posted by Llogi View Post
        Same problem here. Mobility FireGL T2 with ChipID 1002:4e54, using the Mobility 9600 ID: 1002:4c66.
        I'm not familiar with that one, so I don't know whether your new chip ID is appropriate. I deduced mine by browsing the Xorg.0.log file to discover both the chip name underlying my laptop's onboard graphics device (M66), as well as all other ATI products using the exact same chip (e.g. Radeon X1700). Then I looked up the PCI ID of a supported X1700 device in /usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids .

        Questions: how EXACTLY do I have to type the ChipID? 1002:4c66, 0x4c66 or just 4c66?
        I believe it's:

        ChipID 0x4c66

        Comment


        • #19
          When you built the package...

          Originally posted by Llogi View Post
          Instead of "./ati-installer.sh 8.41.7 --install" I built the package using "./ati-installer.sh 8.41.7 --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy"
          Shouldn't that have been

          ./ati-installer.sh 8.42.3 --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy

          ???

          Comment


          • #20
            The Chip Id should be correct:
            scanpci and http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ATI_Mobility_FireGL_T2 are identical. The wiki says "Chipset: ATI RV350 (M10) - Similar to Radeon 9600"


            Originally posted by chrisr View Post
            Shouldn't that have been

            ./ati-installer.sh 8.42.3 --buildpkg Ubuntu/gutsy

            ???
            Oh sure. I just copied that from the cchtml-wiki. Building the package, I used the right number.

            Btw: here is, what the Xorg.log tells me
            http://ubuntuusers.de/paste/16774/

            I'm not that good in reading log-files. "But Fatal server error: no screens found" does not sound to good.

            Comment


            • #21
              And the problem is...

              (WW) fglrx: ChipID 0x4C66 in Device section "ATI Technologies Inc M10 NT [FireGL Mobility T2]" isn't valid for this driver
              (EE) No devices detected.
              The fglrx driver doesn't support the ChipID 0x4c66 either, because it belongs to another FireGL device. You need to find one that it does support .

              Comment


              • #22
                Hoho pretending to be a X600 (ID 0x3150) DOES WORK.

                Just wanted to tell. Should be more people out there with a Mobility FireGL T2.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                  Following these instructions and using a chip ID of "0x71D5" (Radeon X1700) for my FireGL V5250, I have managed to:
                  Hi Chris,
                  That would be a T60p?

                  I built a modified 8.42.3 for the FireGL V5250 also.

                  Out of interest I used 0x71c5 (X1600 I think) for my V5250 - I *think* that's closer?

                  I was after basic desktop with
                  - suspend/resume
                  - ability to dynamically flip to dual screens
                  and compiz (fusion) would be nice
                  Good GL (Secondlife) would be even better
                  As would video

                  Right now 8.35 is the best I've got on RHEL 5.1

                  Could you possibly share your "best so far" xorg.conf?

                  I'm going to try some experiments tonight - need to get a real days work done first ;-)

                  - Nigel.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    It is indeed a T60p (widescreen)

                    Originally posted by planetf1 View Post
                    Out of interest I used 0x71c5 (X1600 I think) for my V5250 - I *think* that's closer?
                    I'm not sure about that. The Xorg.0.log file says that the V5250 is based upon the M66GL chipset, as is the X1700. But there seem to be many variants of the T60p; mine is a widescreen with native 1680x1050 resolution.

                    I was after basic desktop with
                    - suspend/resume
                    - ability to dynamically flip to dual screens
                    and compiz (fusion) would be nice
                    Good GL (Secondlife) would be even better
                    As would video

                    Could you possibly share your "best so far" xorg.conf?
                    I didn't test suspend/resume or dual screens, but AIGLX and compiz both worked OK, as did celestia (native OpenGL application). World of Warcraft gave a completely black screen, and glxgears gave about 2400 fps. I can't remember my Device section, but I removed all of the special "hackish" options needed by earlier versions and set the "Fast TLS" option to 1 instead of 2. VideoOverlay was on, OpenGLOverlay was off.

                    Textured video playback crashed at the very end.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                      I'm not sure about that. The Xorg.0.log file says that the V5250 is based upon the M66GL chipset, as is the X1700. But there seem to be many variants of the T60p; mine is a widescreen with native 1680x1050 resolution.
                      Ok. I appear to have
                      (II) fglrx(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: M56GL
                      which is a T60p model 2008 1600x1200.

                      I'm pretty sure X1600 is also a M56 variant, so hence why I chose this.

                      Guess as you say T60p != T60p ..


                      Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                      I didn't test suspend/resume or dual screens, but AIGLX and compiz both worked OK, as did celestia
                      Thanks, I'll report back later/tomorrow

                      Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                      I can't remember my Device section, but I removed all of the special "hackish" options needed by earlier versions and set the "Fast TLS" option to 1 instead of 2. VideoOverlay was on, OpenGLOverlay was off.
                      Thanks, will try with some basic options and work up.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by planetf1 View Post
                        Thanks, I'll report back later/tomorrow
                        Pretty disasterous.

                        I couldn't get suspend/resume working ok with this driver. I tried vga=0 kernel option, but no joy - the screen would always be black after resume.

                        That's a blocking issue for me - no amount of increased performance, glx etc will make a difference.

                        So -- yet again -- I'm back to 8.35 as the best so far.

                        I also tried the radeon driver - didn't realise this doesn't handle this chip.

                        Have to just wait for 8.43...44...45....46.... sigh.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Better method

                          hey guys, if you haven't noticed I've described a better method that doesn't need you to specify any pci id: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6091.
                          It works great on my Thinkpad T60p.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by ambro814 View Post
                            hey guys, if you haven't noticed I've described a better method that doesn't need you to specify any pci id: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6091.
                            It works great on my Thinkpad T60p.
                            Hi, I did notice - it's obviously much easier to patch - not having to enter an id, but once that is done, is it working any different?

                            Specifically
                            a) Do you know what chipset you have in your T60p - I have the V5200 (lcd 1600x1200)
                            b) Have you tried suspend/resume and got that to work - specifically under RHEL or Fedora?

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by planetf1 View Post
                              Hi, I did notice - it's obviously much easier to patch - not having to enter an id, but once that is done, is it working any different?

                              Specifically
                              a) Do you know what chipset you have in your T60p - I have the V5200 (lcd 1600x1200)
                              b) Have you tried suspend/resume and got that to work - specifically under RHEL or Fedora?
                              lspci says: ATI Technologies Inc M56GL [ATI Mobility FireGL V5200]
                              and it's also 1600x1200.
                              Pci id is 0x71c4.
                              Suspend/resume works flawlessly with X running, I'm using gentoo with kernel suspend2-sources-2.6.22-r2.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I meant Suspend2 works great, but also does ACPI suspend.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X