Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.42.3 Driver Released -- The Baby Is Born!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    i didn't say that that is the problem. i've only said that i'm using the opengloverlay set to on and the hwcursor to on and till now (3 hours and 47minutes i didn't have any sign of that annoying stuff). i've also been using firefox for the same time and still haven't had that issue. there's a great possibility that this is only some coincidence, but it still may be not. or it may be that i've just upgraded to firefox 2.0.0.8 from 2.0.0.6 (i've only had that issue after some right clicking in firefox not from other apps so it can also be some gtk+-kde or gtk+ bidings problem since firefox is a gtk+ app). i don't know yet if this is the solution. you can give it a try if you want and see what happens.
    No, it certainly isn't the solution.
    HWCursor doesn't help for me, because that is standard (I'm always using HWCursor.).
    Yesterday I also had a time of several hours, where this garbage didn't appear, so you can't really be sure unless it didn't appear for let's say 2 days or so.

BTW, this is not a problem of some software (KDE, Firefox or whatever).
    This is a problem of the driver, because if you make a screenshot, it is not there.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
      i'm also looking out for them. i recall to have seen some setting for igp boards that let the driver get a different ammount of vram (as in the windows catalyst where i can chose an amount from 1/2 to 2 times the original reported vram) and i'd be interested in finding it since i've seen that fglrx says that my aperture is limited to 256MB of vram, that is 2x the actual memory. if i can use more memory i should have a better experience, or at least i think so.
      i've tried to set it to 256 on windows and it ran smoother and i could adjust a little better the video settings.
      A lot of options can be found here:
      http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/fglrx_man/fglrx.4x.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Kiri View Post
        Did you make sure to uninstall the xgl server? In gutsy after you install it the package starts automatically with gnome.
        Ohh!! I didn't know that!!! That waas the problem. Thanks!!!!

EDITED: Wow! This driver is very very great!
        Last edited by Fenix-TX; 10-25-2007, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Not stable

The bugs in the 8.42.3 driver are as follows for an ATI RADEON X800XL video card: No XV by default, unstable (computer locks up daily on the driver), Vesa console doesn't work and results in a black screen for the terminal. DVI output will cause the system to freeze. The driver does have features, but the R300 driver isn't very far off. My computer has been locking up daily with the fglrx 8.42.3 driver.

For the opensource Radeon driver there needs to be about five opengl extensions added to make the game ET:QW work. After that Render accel needs to implemented for a fast 2D desktop. Oh, and the opensource driver supports XV, and system stability, and isn't fussy with the Vesa console nor with the DVI output. For anything older than a Radeon X850 the radeon driver will work, and give decent performance, and the one thing I like a lot, stability.

Comment

• Hi again,

On my last two posts I spoke about the "white screen" problem. I get this with both compiz and beryl.

Looking At beryl, the default is "--use-tfp" (Pixmap Texture) then I've changed to "--use-copy" and the white screen problem vanished but the effects got really slow.

So, I'm having a problem in texture from pixmap. I really have no idea on what does it mean.

Comment

• Hi does anyone know if there is a workaround for the black screen bug in Gutsy yet. I built the drivers ok on a amd64 but on restart the x server crashes to a black screen ! Now this is reported in the bug tracker for Gutsy, has anyone managed to fix it ? any help would be very useful.

Cheers

Comment

• Thansk for the help.
                I just needed to add fglrx to the white list of drivers

But as many reported my compiz effects are slow, much slower than with the radaeon driver

I have not had time to test the 3D rendering yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by makoto42 View Post
                  What distro/kernel and ATI device are you using? I too concur that the SLUB problem is gone for my Mobility FireGL v5200, but I cannot get Xorg to run on resume no matter what I try. Text mode is fine, but kinda defeats the point....
                  I'm using gentoo with suspend2 patched kernel. Maybe you are missing a certain config line in xorg.conf. I will post it soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by drystan1 View Post
                    Hi does anyone know if there is a workaround for the black screen bug in Gutsy yet. I built the drivers ok on a amd64 but on restart the x server crashes to a black screen ! Now this is reported in the bug tracker for Gutsy, has anyone managed to fix it ? any help would be very useful.

Cheers
                    Hi. I have the same problem on debian testing/lenny. I have a mobility 9700. The same thing appears with fglrx 8.40. I resolve installing fglrx 8.38

Sorry for my bad english...

Comment

• Originally posted by hluk View Post
                      For me screen corruptions disappeared after putting the lines below into xorg.conf's device section (where my current fglrx 8.42.3 driver was).

Code:
                      Option	    "KernelModuleParm" "locked-userpages=0"
                      This seems to work for me.
                      I didn't have those screen corruptions since 7 or 8h running time.
                      Although to be sure it is solved, of course I have to see if it comes back the next days.

Just make sure, that the kernel module is unloaded before the x server starts again after you put that option in xorg.conf, or better: restart.

Comment

• Am I the only one who has the problem with X beeing killed with compiz start? - The same with 0.3.6, 0.5.2, 0.5.5 on Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn with Xorg 7.2. X server is killed just after emerald start and I don't have X logs because X server restarts with KDM login screen and logs are overwritten.

Comment

• let's try the driver to see whether it works or not
                          i have waited AIGLX support for a long time

Comment

• Originally posted by xeros View Post
                            Am I the only one who has the problem with X beeing killed with compiz start? - The same with 0.3.6, 0.5.2, 0.5.5 on Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn with Xorg 7.2. X server is killed just after emerald start and I don't have X logs because X server restarts with KDM login screen and logs are overwritten.
                            Have you try Beryl?
                            With beryl I have no problem (compiz won't work for me)...
                            Last edited by kimba; 10-26-2007, 06:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
                              This seems to work for me.
                              I didn't have those screen corruptions since 7 or 8h running time.
                              Although to be sure it is solved, of course I have to see if it comes back the next days.

Just make sure, that the kernel module is unloaded before the x server starts again after you put that option in xorg.conf, or better: restart.
                              I knew it.

Now the screen corruption came back, so that isn't the solution either, but it might help a little bit.

Comment

• For some reason, Compiz (the one in Feisty) performed miserably. Beryl is ok for me, too, though I only use it when I want to zoom in on Flash videos. But the new driver seems to perform well, and I haven't noticed any major bugs yet. Installation was a bit difficult in Feisty, as I'm not used to Ubuntu, having preferred Fedora since FC2.
                                Of course, the Firefox scrolling business seems to be an issue across the board. It's so unresponsive that I'll simply not use either Compiz or Beryl. The same goes for window resizing with wobble and pop-up window previews. That is, Beryl and the like seem to perform too badly with an x800xl, amd64 3000+ and 2 gb of RAM.
                                But in any case, this version of the driver seems to me to be a really good one. I haven't read all of this thread, but it looks like a lot of people have had trouble with installing it, and I suppose many have blamed ATI/AMD when it didn't work properly or at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X