Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FC6 + fglrx 8.30.3-1 + composite disabled = blank screen (Radeon 9500)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, what did the trick was either the
    Option "HSync2" "30-86"
    Option "VRefresh2" "48-150"
    part in xorg.conf or AGP Aperture Size in BIOS, and I'd wager it was xorg.conf since I seem to remember changing aperture size before with no effect.

Removing the UseInternalAGPART part from the conf also (obviously) yields slightly better performance:

[root@orion ~]# glxgears
    5144 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1028.707 FPS
    4928 frames in 5.0 seconds = 985.535 FPS
    6151 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1230.120 FPS

[root@orion ~]# fgl_glxgears
    Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
    2299 frames in 5.0 seconds = 459.800 FPS
    2579 frames in 5.0 seconds = 515.800 FPS
    2607 frames in 5.0 seconds = 521.400 FPS

There are still a few problems with MPlayer (no XShape extension and OpenGL behaves a bit strange) but otherwise everything seems to be working OK (at least much better than it was).

Orioner

Comment

Originally posted by Orioner View Post
      There are still a few problems with MPlayer (no XShape extension and OpenGL behaves a bit strange) but otherwise everything seems to be working OK (at least much better than it was).
      ...and adding
      Load "extmod"
      to xorg.conf Module section and restarting X fixed those too.

Now everything works!

Orioner

Comment

Hate to bump an old thread, but do you mind posting your entire xorg.conf?
        I hit the same thing, even though everything was working a few days ago.

Comment

Uhh. Sorry, no can do.

Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
          Hate to bump an old thread, but do you mind posting your entire xorg.conf?
          I hit the same thing, even though everything was working a few days ago.
          Uh, I would, but I no longer use this configuration, because it only worked for a while for me as well (it stopped working with the next driver update). So I no longer have that configuration file

Anyhow, I think it was the Phoronix recommended xorg.conf with the modifications I mentioned. There really was nothing fancy in the configuration file. Something just suddenly made it work, and just as suddenly it stopped working.

Orioner

Comment

Thanks anyway--I think I've got it figured out, thanks to you!

Now I just hope it'll continue working after I boot into the SMP kernel...

Comment

Originally posted by SheeEttin View Post
              Thanks anyway--I think I've got it figured out, thanks to you!

Now I just hope it'll continue working after I boot into the SMP kernel...
              There should be no SMP problems these days.
              Michael Larabel
              http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

It's not that the kernel is SMP, it's that it's a different kernel.

And no, it didn't work. Entire Xorg.0.log is here, especially relevant lines highlighted (lines 809, 810, and 859).

I posted a specific thread to kubuntuforums.net here.

Comment

Working...
                X