Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Catalyst 13.6 Linux Graphics Driver Beta Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AMD Catalyst 13.6 Linux Graphics Driver Beta Released

    Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 13.6 Linux Graphics Driver Beta Released

    AMD has announced a new beta Catalyst Linux graphics driver. This time around, there are some new features to this Catalyst 13.6 Beta...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTM4MDQ

  • #2
    X.Org Server 1.14

    They should have had X.Org Server 1.14 support months ago.

    Then maybe Ubuntu could have shipped with X.Org Server 1.14 instead of the old version 1.13.

    Ubuntu could not ship the latest X.Org Server due to the AMD driver not supporting it.

    So once again, AMD was holding back the progress of Linux on the desktop.
    You want the goodness of X.Org Server 1.14, well you have to wait another 6 months for the upcoming Ubuntu 13.10 until you can enjoy it, thanks to AMD for stalling it...

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      They should have had X.Org Server 1.14 support months ago.

      Then maybe Ubuntu could have shipped with X.Org Server 1.14 instead of the old version 1.13.

      Ubuntu could not ship the latest X.Org Server due to the AMD driver not supporting it.

      So once again, AMD was holding back the progress of Linux on the desktop.
      You want the goodness of X.Org Server 1.14, well you have to wait another 6 months for the upcoming Ubuntu 13.10 until you can enjoy it, thanks to AMD for stalling it...
      If you want bleeding edge then don't use Ubuntu. You can't complain about a distro that has specific release cycles to always have the latest version of everything. I also wouldn't go blaming AMD for Ubuntu not having xserver 1.14. Ubuntu can release whatever they want without regard to what others are doing. An example would be Mir, a clear example they don't care what others are doing or shipping. They move the beat of their own drum.

      Comment


      • #4
        What exactly does xserver 1.14 offer that you so desperately need that 1.13 doesn't have? Yes, the catalyst drivers are annoyingly slow when it comes to feature support, but better late than never.


        Anyways, I'm excited for this release. I hope crossfire support is/will soon be improved, as right now the Heaven benchmark is the only thing I have that will actually use it.

        Comment


        • #5
          I am so happy, I can upgrade my HTPC, hopefully it'll eke out better performance.

          Comment


          • #6
            Xrender is still slow, any word about that?
            edit: Still input delay on valve's source games, Uninstalling fglrx and getting back the great radeon drivers.
            Amd should pay nvidia to create them linux drivers!
            Last edited by Lyoko; 05-28-2013, 09:16 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              Ubuntu could not ship the X.Org Server 1.14 due to the AMD driver not supporting it.
              There were other factors too, including Nvidia Tegra and Unity issues with a newer Xserver. Also, Xserver 1.14 came pretty late in the Raring cycle, and Ubuntu was going through a period of debate over their release cycles.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by migizi View Post
                If you want bleeding edge then don't use Ubuntu. You can't complain about a distro that has specific release cycles to always have the latest version of everything. I also wouldn't go blaming AMD for Ubuntu not having xserver 1.14. Ubuntu can release whatever they want without regard to what others are doing. An example would be Mir, a clear example they don't care what others are doing or shipping. They move the beat of their own drum.
                Ubuntu is already considered bleeding edge considering how almost every other package that is not X-related is typically at the same version as upstream (+/- 0.01 ).

                The only other distribution that is more bleeding edge than Ubuntu is probably Fedora, and even Fedora has been known to occasionally hold back on a version of xserver.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Ubuntu could not ship the latest X.Org Server due to the AMD driver not supporting it.

                  So once again, AMD was holding back the progress of Linux on the desktop.
                  You want the goodness of X.Org Server 1.14, well you have to wait another 6 months for the upcoming Ubuntu 13.10 until you can enjoy it, thanks to AMD for stalling it...
                  http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...261#post325261

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Ubuntu is already considered bleeding edge considering how almost every other package that is not X-related is typically at the same version as upstream (+/- 0.01 ).

                    The only other distribution that is more bleeding edge than Ubuntu is probably Fedora, and even Fedora has been known to occasionally hold back on a version of xserver.
                    Ubuntu and Fedora are degrees of cutting edge. Arch is bleeding edge.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X