Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta Driver For Linux Released

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta Driver For Linux Released

An AMD Catalyst "13.2 Beta 3" driver has surfaced on the Internet for Linux users relying upon this binary blob for graphics acceleration on Radeon and FirePro graphics hardware...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTI4NzU

Details on Driver

http://techreport.com/news/24285/cat...-now-available

Bits:

Here's a complete list of the changes in this driver, courtesy of AMD's Andrew Dodd:
    • Improves performance up to 15% in high MSAA cases for the Crysis 3 beta release
    • Future updates will be made to AMD Catalyst 13.2 Beta to further improve performance in Crysis 3 for both single GPU and CrossFire configurations
    • Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2
    • Improves single GPU performance up to 50% for DmC Devil May Cry
    • Improves CrossFire performance up to 10% for Crysis 2
    • Resolves Texture flickering seen in DirectX9.0c applications.

This release is the first in a series of promised driver updates intended to reduce the frame latency spikes we noticed in our Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited article.

Comment

I don't really think those have to do with the Linux version ....

Comment

There is for Linux version: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...13-2_Beta.aspx

Comment

It does go yo prove the point of when bugs are found in a driver of a game, said game company has more clout/push at getting a fix done.

Pete.

Comment

So some graphic corruption fixed for Serious Sam 3 and apparently an updated performance profile for Team Fortress 2(up to 300% boost?! lol), or hopefully a general performance issue fixed. And that's pretty much it, it seems ...
            Hopefully those aren't fixes specific to only these two games.

Comment

I wonder why they only say official support for Ubuntu 12.10 and forget the 12.04 LTS.

Comment

And the latest supported kernel is still 3.5, which is already EOL. AMD, you suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Vim_User View Post
                  And the latest supported kernel is still 3.5, which is already EOL. AMD, you suck.
                  It works with later versions of the kernel as well, so i dont see a problem?

Comment

That's really something I don't get at all.

Yes, I know AMD targets the support of kernel and xserver versions shipping with the major distributions, i.e. Ubuntu, Red Hat.
                    And by 'support' they obviously have some idea about QA which involves testing - possibly a lot of testing (or maybe none at all).
                    At least that's the reason why they only target those kernel and xserver versions, AFAIK.

Now, why don't they just officially support those versions (what they claim in the release notes) but include the bits for
                    newer kernel and xserver versions as well? AMD could label the support "preliminary" or don't mention it at all.
                    IMHO, that would be already a major step forward.

Comment

In what world you live in? There is no such thing as EOL kernel(almost, 2.6.32 is still maintained). Latest RHEL 6.3 uses 2.6.32. People who use vanilla kernels and cutting edge distributions are basically bug catchers for solid stable production ready distributions. There is a reason why Debian variant with fresh kernels called "Debian Unstable".

Current long-term stable kernel, which will be supported by kernel.org up to 2014 is 3.4
                      Last edited by krasnoglaz; 01-30-2013, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by krasnoglaz View Post
                        In what world you live in? There is no such thing as EOL kernel. Latest RHEL 6.3 uses 2.6.32. People who use vanilla kernels and cutting edge distributions are basically bug catchers for solid stable production ready distributions. There is a reason why Debian variant with fresh kernels called "Debian Unstable".

Current long-term stable kernel, which will be supported by kernel.org up to 2014 is 3.4
                        However you may interpret it - EOL kernels (vanilla) do exist.

http://kernel.org

Comment

Originally posted by totex71 View Post
                          It works with later versions of the kernel as well, so i dont see a problem?
                          It does not install on kernel 3.7 without being patched, so there is a problem. If you have a patched package for your distribution that means that the maintainers of your distribution have done the work that the AMD developers should have done in the first place. Those patches appear almost instantly when a new driver is released, so either the distro developers are much smarter than AMD developers or those patches are trivial, but AMD refuses to implement them. In both cases there is something wrong with AMD.

As long as they go for this crappy driver policy I will not give them my money again.

AMD, if you are already short on money pissing of your existing customers should not be the way to go. Sad enough that you do not recognize that on your own.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                            However you may interpret it - EOL kernels (vanilla) do exist.

http://kernel.org
                            And long term stable EOLs do exist. But for user, effectively, they don't, if he does dist-upgrade at least once per 3 years.

2.6.32 is 4 years old.

Comment

I'm running catalyst 13.1 on kernel 3.7 with no problems. Folks, try before you whine.

Comment

Working...
                              X