No announcement yet.

No GUI after installing ATI Driver HD6770

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds a bit like one nvidia-current lightdm bug. You could try start lightdm from tty(if you can go there alt+cntrl+F1):
    sudo service lightdm stop
    sudo sleep 1 && sudo service lightdm start

Another blackscreen with binary plops is usually caused by kms, disable it in grub(hold shift on boot) by adding kernel boot parameter -nomodeset. Oh and check that you don't have PlugAndPlay OS on in bios, it could cause troubles(mostly on dual boots though).

Comment

tried both of your advises and it still not working. xrandr keeps telling "can't open display". When I type fglrxinfo I get error "Unable to open display (null)".
      I can paste my xorg.conf file if you think that you can find something helpful inside.
      Thanks a lot!

Comment

How are you trying to install it: From repo or from amd site? Have you read this:
        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

Comment

Yeah, make sure that all dependencies mentioned in the above link are installed, and also "linux-headers-generic" package(except if you don't use the standard kernel, then you'll need corresponding headers, but chances are you use the standard one).
          Also, you might want "radeon.modeset=0" to kernel parameters, I recalled I used this parameter on Chakra Linux(it was added by the Catalyst package they had).
          May need "nouveau.modeset=0" too.
          Also, I suggest trying to run this command : "sudo amdconfig --initial -f --adapter=all"
          If it fails with "amdconfig" for some reason(can't find amdconfig) use aticonfig instead .. It might work since you have more that one graphics unit.
          I don't know much more that I could .. Except plugging out one of that GPUs or disabling it in BIOS(if this is the problem).

Comment

Thank you both for reply.

@tuke I tried from repo, from amd site, from additional drivers screen and from synaptic manager. every time I get the same result....
            went through cchtml guide and from precision while I was on 12.04 and through Quantal since I'm on 12.10.

@Rigaldo Tried everything you sad and still the same... about the other card, I saw in xorg.0.log file that driver is not installed for it and that it's ignored. btw, It was switched off in bios as well.

Thank you for trying...

Comment

Hmm how is your vga cable, that log says it probes edid 4 times; failing 3 and succeeding ones. Are you using tft or crt and can you use dvi cable instead of vga.

Comment

I have VGA cable only with connector for DVI. My monitor doesn't have DVI connector. btw I have LG E2251 LCD.

Comment

Originally posted by vedrisha View Post
                  I have VGA cable only with connector for DVI. My monitor doesn't have DVI connector. btw I have LG E2251 LCD.
                  Hmm LG, it has same named displays for different countries and with different outputs. Check the cable that it has all 15 pins on it, some vga cables might leave some pins out(specially that both 12th and 15th pins exist).

Another thing is that lg has been quite notorius by having broken edid tables. That can be workarounded by software side: you could probe edid directly from display with get-edid parse-edid combo, those can be found in read-edid package: sudo apt-get install read-edid

And then probe the edid from the monitor: sudo get-edid | sudo parse-edid

If there indeed are problems getting edid or getting broken edid tables from the monitor, you could check if you can find something from ubuntuforums thread conserning subject matter:
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1857772
                  http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316985

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                    Hmm LG, it has same named displays for different countries and with different outputs. Check the cable that it has all 15 pins on it, some vga cables might leave some pins out(specially that both 12th and 15th pins exist).

Another thing is that lg has been quite notorius by having broken edid tables. That can be workarounded by software side: you could probe edid directly from display with get-edid parse-edid combo, those can be found in read-edid package: sudo apt-get install read-edid

And then probe the edid from the monitor: sudo get-edid | sudo parse-edid

If there indeed are problems getting edid or getting broken edid tables from the monitor, you could check if you can find something from ubuntuforums thread conserning subject matter:
                    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1857772
                    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=316985
                    Thanks for reply, but at the end I managed to fix the problem today. I installed 12.04 and checked if there is 3D acceleration with default driver and it was there. Later on I googled how to change resolution on Full HD and managed to do that.
                    So now ';m running Ubuntu 12.04 with Full HD resolution with 3D acceleration. The only thing I don't have is ATI Control Center, which I don't really need.
                    Thank you all once again for your replies, you are all great!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X