Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD 8.41.7 Display Driver Released -- The Holy Crap Edition!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Stormking View Post
    If the codebase is new, how comes that there are exact the same bugs in it?
    Not all is completely new, most likely the lowlevel bits (hence the performance boost) are new, but the X bits may very well be pretty much the same. Fact is, we don't and can't know for sure.

    Comment


    • #62
      buildpkg Fedora/F7

      from root:
      ./ati..... --buildpkg Fedora/F7

      then install all the rpms

      then correctly change the xorg.conf:

      Section "ServerLayout"
      Identifier "single head configuration"
      Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
      InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
      InputDevice "Synaptics" "CorePointer"
      EndSection

      Section "Files"
      ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
      FontPath "unix/:7100"
      EndSection

      Section "Module"
      Load "dbe"
      Load "extmod"
      Load "fbdevhw"
      Load "glx"
      Load "record"
      Load "freetype"
      Load "type1"
      Load "dri"
      EndSection

      Section "ServerFlags"
      Option "AIGLX" "off"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Keyboard0"
      Driver "kbd"
      Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
      Option "XkbLayout" "it"
      EndSection

      Section "InputDevice"
      Identifier "Synaptics"
      Driver "synaptics"
      Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
      Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
      Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
      Option "SHMConfig" "true"
      EndSection

      Section "Monitor"
      Identifier "Monitor0"
      ModelName "LCD Panel 1024x768"
      Option "DPMS" "true"
      EndSection

      Section "Device"
      Identifier "Videocard0"
      Driver "fglrx"
      EndSection

      Section "Screen"
      Identifier "Screen0"
      Device "Videocard0"
      Monitor "Monitor0"
      DefaultDepth 24
      SubSection "Display"
      Viewport 0 0
      Depth 24
      EndSubSection
      EndSection

      Section "DRI"
      Group 0
      Mode 0666
      EndSection


      Section "Extensions"
      Option "Composite" "Disable"
      EndSection


      And then restart, and .... no graphical boot

      And obviously suspend don't work, when I try to suspend the system hang for 20 sec and then return on my desktop.

      Compliments to ATI, new code, AH!AH!AH!AH!AH! Are they joking with us.

      And now I switch another time to radeon driver, that aren't super (no good 3D perf, compiz-fusion works but freeze sometimes due to graph card perf, but good and fast 2D perf, graph boot and suspend/resume works

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by hoenny View Post
        output! what's wrong?
        Code:
        RPM build errors:
            File not found by glob: /tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.41.7-1-21724-hoenny/tmp/ATI-fglrx-8.41.7-1.f7-root-hoenny/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/dri/*
            Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
           /usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so
        Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.v21651
        Shit, okay, that's a bug in the RPM SPEC file for x86_64 that I overlooked in the packaging script. You can correct it in the packages/Fedora/ SPEC file by adding the line for fglrx_dri.so or by deleting the fglrx_dri.so file after extracting it... I can release new packaging scripts here shortly. fglrx_dri.so was replaced in 8.41 as a dummy file late in the cycle.
        Michael Larabel
        http://www.michaellarabel.com/

        Comment


        • #64
          and my games crash, and I can't see the performance improvments, but sorry.... I see a performance improvment my 3D screensaver works fast, yeah!!! a screensaver work, I repeat a screensaver not a stupid game

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
            Not all is completely new, most likely the lowlevel bits (hence the performance boost) are new, but the X bits may very well be pretty much the same. Fact is, we don't and can't know for sure.
            I thought so. I even expected it. But I still had hope.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by billybore View Post
              and my games crash, and I can't see the performance improvments, but sorry.... I see a performance improvment my 3D screensaver works fast, yeah!!! a screensaver work, I repeat a screensaver not a stupid game

              obviously is a joke (I must specify it because you are Anglo-Saxon)

              Comment


              • #67
                Not all is completely new, most likely the lowlevel bits (hence the performance boost) are new,
                I'm quite sure the only thing really new is the OpenGL part of the driver, the lowlevel bits (kernel module) and 2D Xorg don't appear to have changed much.

                Well, it's a start! Maybe now after fixing the most urgent stuff they can finally work on the other parts of the driver.
                What annoys me about it is that I cannot change the display brightness via fn-f9/f10. I have to switch to a text console, change it, and the switch back to X.

                (BTW, I have fixed the problem I mentioned earlier, I had forgotten to unload the "drm" module...)

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by Stormking View Post
                  I thought so. I even expected it. But I still had hope.
                  Well, at least they've rolled out the new code-base, which is the important fact here... From what little I have been able to learn in the past week or so (ever since I got off the ATI loop) is that there are still limited resources for driver development, and they have been maintaining two code bases up until this release. It would have been nice if the team could be split into a low-level team and an X11 specific team, but if the [human] resources are scarce, they (I believe) focused on the most important parts (at the time): The core of the driver, the low-level code for better optimization. Now hopefully X11 issues will get fixed and I particularly hope that they don't get fixed one at a time!

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
                    Well, at least they've rolled out the new code-base, which is the important fact here... From what little I have been able to learn in the past week or so (ever since I got off the ATI loop) is that there are still limited resources for driver development, and they have been maintaining two code bases up until this release. It would have been nice if the team could be split into a low-level team and an X11 specific team, but if the [human] resources are scarce, they (I believe) focused on the most important parts (at the time): The core of the driver, the low-level code for better optimization. Now hopefully X11 issues will get fixed and I particularly hope that they don't get fixed one at a time!
                    the [human] resources are scarce?????


                    I have paid for this notebook and this card video ATI

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      I find it funny that I'm "defending" the developers of the ATI driver, when I in fact use nVidia , but I once was a very frustrated user and had my hopes squashed with every new driver release... Still I hope AMD-ATI will get the drivers right so that there would actually be competition in Linux (at last!)

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X